EMI: monkey4-patch not found [solved]

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Al.DeHyde

EMI: monkey4-patch not found [solved]

Post by Al.DeHyde »

Judging by the wiki page I thought the daily builds could run Escape From Monkey Island. I'm using ScummVM 2.7.0git1634-g12f7a0e5860 on Debian 11 and the game won't launch. A debug window appears with this message (typing 'exit' just exits ScummVM):

Code: Select all

User picked target 'monkey4-win' (engine ID 'grim', game ID 'monkey4')...
   Looking for a plugin supporting this target... Grim
Running Escape From Monkey Island (Windows/English)
artAll.m4b: 61959da91d864bf5f4588daa4a5a3019, 18515664 bytes.
monkey4-patch.m4b not found!
Debugger started, type 'exit' to return to the game.
Type 'help' to see a little list of commands and variables.
ERROR: monkey4-patch.m4b not found!
What am I missing here?
Last edited by Al.DeHyde on Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tsomi

Re: EMI: monkey4-patch not found

Post by Tsomi »

Did you build yourself from source, or did you download something like the pre-built .tar.xz file for Debian?

In Global Options > Paths, make sure that Extra Path is set to the ScummVM directory with the monkey4-patch.m4b file (i.e. path/to/dists/engine-data/ if built from Git, or path/to/scummvm/data/ if using the Debian .tar.xz build).
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Currently we require the patch file to be in the game's data folder (not sure if it will work putting it in an Extras path -- I haven't tested this). This is required even in versions that are pre-patched, like the GOG version or the Steam version. It could potentially be optimized in the future of course to avoid this check in the pre-patched versions.

Look in the ScummVM wiki page for Escape from Monkey Island for more details on required data files and links to get the patch file for you game's language.
https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Esca ... data_files
Al.DeHyde

Post by Al.DeHyde »

Tsomi wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:51 pm In Global Options > Paths, make sure that Extra Path is set to the ScummVM directory with the monkey4-patch.m4b file (i.e. path/to/dists/engine-data/ if built from Git, or path/to/scummvm/data/ if using the Debian .tar.xz build).
Thanks, that did the trick! I couldn't seem to find any info about where to find it :oops:
Praetorian wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:14 am Look in the ScummVM wiki page for Escape from Monkey Island for more details on required data files and links to get the patch file for you game's language.
Thanks, I already managed to figure that one out myself :mrgreen:
Tsomi

Post by Tsomi »

Al.DeHyde wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:00 am
Tsomi wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:51 pm In Global Options > Paths, make sure that Extra Path is set to the ScummVM directory with the monkey4-patch.m4b file (i.e. path/to/dists/engine-data/ if built from Git, or path/to/scummvm/data/ if using the Debian .tar.xz build).
Thanks, that did the trick! I couldn't seem to find any info about where to find it :oops:
No problem, I think this is because the .tar.xz snapshot file for Debian isn't a proper package, and so the binary doesn't know where to look for its resource files by default. This could probably be improved in some way, so that things work better out of box, or at least so that it gives a clearer indication. I'll see if I can suggest an improvement for this.
Al.DeHyde

Re: EMI: monkey4-patch not found [solved]

Post by Al.DeHyde »

Just for reference, I downloaded the prebuilt zip for Debian and both the CD and GOG versions behave the same.

Here's the messages I get when MonkeyUpdate.exe and monkey4-patch.m4b are both missing:
2.png
2.png (4.77 KiB) Viewed 2919 times
3.png
3.png (2.5 KiB) Viewed 2919 times
4.png
4.png (3.04 KiB) Viewed 2919 times
5.png
5.png (8.85 KiB) Viewed 2919 times
The URL in the first message now just shows a page saying "Datafile information has moved: For a comprehensive list of required data files, see the ScummVM wiki entry for the game you are adding. Search the wiki, or see a list of all supported games here". It's easy enough to find the right page from the search box though. For some reason that message only shows the first time I try to run the game. If I run it again before adding MonkeyUpdate.exe it doesn't show. Starting the game after adding MonkeyUpdate.exe does as I described in the OP.

If anyone is planning to make it a bit clearer I'd suggest removing the first message (with the dead link), removing the second message and adding the file name to the third message (as well as adding a message describing how to link monkey4-patch.m4b). At first I thought monkey4-patch.m4b might be contained in MonkeyUpdate.exe which made things more confusing!