Might and Magic Word of Xeen - German Translation, ß missing

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

OmegaMatze

Might and Magic Word of Xeen - German Translation, ß missing

Post by OmegaMatze »

Hello,
I have the following problem with xeen:
I play a german version but ingame there are a mix of englisch and german translation. I am not sure if its from my game version or if it is a general problem. My game files (should) be from the German Magazin files "Bestseller Games" which are released long time ago. I transfered these files from my older pc to my newer pc.

I use scummvm 2.6.0pre from 25.6.22

I normally can live with these but following bug/problem with the portals I have:
Normallry I run after Vertigo to "Flußstadt" which is Rivercity in englisch I guess. But I cannot enter the letter "ß" so I cannot travel to this town. This is also with "Schloß Burlock" and maybe some other places.

Is this a general problem and will be fixed or have I "wrong" game files?

thanks allot.
rootfather
ScummVM Lead

Re: Might and Magic Word of Xeen - German Translation, ß missing

Post by rootfather »

Hi there,
I normally can live with these but following bug/problem with the portals I have:
Normallry I run after Vertigo to "Flußstadt" which is Rivercity in englisch I guess. But I cannot enter the letter "ß" so I cannot travel to this town. This is also with "Schloß Burlock" and maybe some other places.

Is this a general problem and will be fixed or have I "wrong" game files?
yikes, this sound like a problem with special characters indeed. What happens if you try to enter "ä, ö ,ü"? Do you get no intput at all or just the "wrong" ones? Speaking of "wrong" I'm thinking about ":", ";" which would indicate that it uses the wrong keyboard bindings.

Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of the game, so I can't check.

Could you also please open up a bug-report at https://bugs.scummvm.org/newticket so we can keep track of this issue?

Thanks!
Lothar
OmegaMatze

Post by OmegaMatze »

Pressing "ß","ö","ä" ort "ü" key on the keyboard (german layout) there is no recognization by the game engine. So no char is displayed.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

It's been a while since I worked on the Xeen engine, so I had to refresh my memory. But I confirmed that yeh, the German version isn't finished yet, so isn't officially supported. That's why it's still marked unstable. I tried changing the text input for the mirror to allow for 8-bit characters, and it wouldn't even display properly afterwards. So it seems the current code doesn't even have the accented characters available/loaded to begin with.

Whilst GOG does have the German version available, it took me so long to get the English version complete that I lost interest in adding support for the German version as well. Particularly since it wasn't a game I worked on for scratch, but rather finishing earlier code someone else had written. So unless someone else wants to tackle making the necessary changes, the German version isn't going be supported anytime soon.