Any thoughts on moving to GPLv3?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

I concur with MD5. And just in case I came across differently, let me make it explicit that I appreciate samwise' remarks and questions, they are all very reasonable.
samwise

Post by samwise »

*doffs cap*

You are a scholar and a gentleman, sir. :)

Nah, this isn't heated - I have no axe to grind, and generally agree with Freddo's maxim. If there's no benefit to moving, then there's no point. I just agreed that it was a Good Thing that the discussion be had. Though only being a user, and not a code contributor, I wouldn't expect my opinion to carry any weight anyway! ;)

OTOH, I think it would have been good to work out a system where if a license change ever needs to be made in the future, every contributor wouldn't need to be chased down, but it sounds like that'd only achievable if a legal entity was created or everyone's code was made PD in the first place, neither of which are particularly appealing options.

Oh, well. Perhaps someone should start keeping a big black book of contributors ... :)

Sam.
lwc

Re: Any thoughts on moving to GPLv3?

Post by lwc »

Well, it's really true to never say never. 14 years later(!) I rubbed my eyes to see one of v2.6.0 beta's highlights was moving to GPLv3+.

Once it becomes official, I think ScummVM can be considered as a huge win for GPLv3.
Attachments
v2.6.0 Beta switched to GPLv3+
v2.6.0 Beta switched to GPLv3+
gplv3.png (32.41 KiB) Viewed 1269 times
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

That is official since December 26, 2021.

Eugene
lwc

Post by lwc »

sev wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:39 pm That is official since December 26, 2021.
True, but v2.6.0 was only announced this week. :D
In any case, I think it's a landmark change, 15 years in the making. I'd say the license's maker would be proud but he became persona non grata in the years that passed.