ScummVM not recognizing Let's Explore the Farm with Buzzy Mac files

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

eisnerguy1
Got a warning

ScummVM not recognizing Let's Explore the Farm with Buzzy Mac files

Post by eisnerguy1 »

So, for some reason, ScummVM won't recognize the Mac files of "Let's Explore the Farm with Buzzy". Here's the version I'm running on my Mac currently:
ScummVM 2.6.0git5534-g274500e0d7e (May 3 2022 04:26:22)

According to ScummVM's source code, the Mac game files should be supported and ScummVM should be able to recognize them. If I try a Mass Add and select the mounted disc, ScummVM only recognizes the various Mac & Windows demos as well as the Windows version of "Let's Explore the Farm with Buzzy". If I try to change the game file path in ScummVM Preferences, and point to the Mac files, ScummVM can't find any files.

Here's where the Mac version of "Let's Explore the Farm with Buzzy" is mentioned in ScummVM's code:
engines/scumm/detection_tables.h:

Code: Select all

{ "farm", "farm", kGenHEMac, UNK_LANG, Common::kPlatformMacintosh, 0 },
engines/scumm/scumm-md5.h:

{ "fbbbb38a81fc9d6a61d509278390a290", "farm", "HE 73", "", -1, Common::EN_ANY, Common::kPlatformMacintosh },
Here are the files that the Mac version has:
  • The Farm
  • The Farm (0)
  • The Farm (1)
  • The Farm (2)
  • The Farm (4)
  • The Farm (9)
There aren't any other Mac files for this game. I checked the MD5 hashes for them and The Farm (0) is fbbbb38a81fc9d6a61d509278390a290 which matches the hash listed in scumm-md5.h. I'm not sure why ScummVM can't detect the Mac files. Anyone else have this problem?
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: ScummVM not recognizing Let's Explore the Farm with Buzzy Mac files

Post by Praetorian »

eisnerguy1 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:08 am So, for some reason, ScummVM won't recognize the Mac files of "Let's Explore the Farm with Buzzy". Here's the version I'm running on my Mac currently:
ScummVM 2.6.0git5534-g274500e0d7e (May 3 2022 04:26:22)

According to ScummVM's source code, the Mac game files should be supported and ScummVM should be able to recognize them. If I try a Mass Add and select the mounted disc, ScummVM only recognizes the various Mac & Windows demos as well as the Windows version of "Let's Explore the Farm with Buzzy". If I try to change the game file path in ScummVM Preferences, and point to the Mac files, ScummVM can't find any files.

Here's where the Mac version of "Let's Explore the Farm with Buzzy" is mentioned in ScummVM's code:
engines/scumm/detection_tables.h:

engines/scumm/scumm-md5.h:

{ "fbbbb38a81fc9d6a61d509278390a290", "farm", "HE 73", "", -1, Common::EN_ANY, Common::kPlatformMacintosh },
Here are the files that the Mac version has:
  • The Farm
  • The Farm (0)
  • The Farm (1)
  • The Farm (2)
  • The Farm (4)
  • The Farm (9)
There aren't any other Mac files for this game. I checked the MD5 hashes for them and The Farm (0) is fbbbb38a81fc9d6a61d509278390a290 which matches the hash listed in scumm-md5.h. I'm not sure why ScummVM can't detect the Mac files. Anyone else have this problem?
It could be the "The " that throws the detection off.
I don't own the game but I didn't find any special case in the Scumm detection code that considers the "the" in the file name pattern for the game.
Could you try copying the files locally and renaming them to:
  • Farm
  • Farm (0)
  • Farm (1)
  • Farm (2)
  • Farm (4)
  • Farm (9)
and see if it works?

If it does this should be reported as a ticket so that the detection is updated accordingly to account for the filename in the Mac platform.
eisnerguy1
Got a warning

Post by eisnerguy1 »

Praetorian wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:12 am It could be the "The " that throws the detection off.
I don't own the game but I didn't find any special case in the Scumm detection code that considers the "the" in the file name pattern for the game.
Could you try copying the files locally and renaming them to:
  • Farm
  • Farm (0)
  • Farm (1)
  • Farm (2)
  • Farm (4)
  • Farm (9)
and see if it works?

If it does this should be reported as a ticket so that the detection is updated accordingly to account for the filename in the Mac platform.
Thanks for the idea. I tried that but, it didn't work. I pointed ScummVM to that new directory, with the renamed files, and ScummVM couldn't find any games.

"Let's Explore the Airport with Buzzy" & "Let's Explore the Jungle with Buzzy" also have a similar naming structures for the Mac files:
  • The Airport
  • The Airport (0)
  • The Airport (1)
  • The Airport (2)
  • The Airport (4)
  • The Airport (7)
  • The Airport (9)
  • The Jungle
  • The Jungle (0)
  • The Jungle (1)
  • The Jungle (2)
  • The Jungle (4)
  • The Jungle (9)
ScummVM was able to detect those files without issue. Like those other "Let's Explore" games, I copied the Mac game files directly from the CD. I'm really not sure what the issue is with "Let's Explore the Farm with Buzzy".
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

eisnerguy1 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:10 pm ScummVM was able to detect those files without issue. Like those other "Let's Explore" games, I copied the Mac game files directly from the CD. I'm really not sure what the issue is with "Let's Explore the Farm with Buzzy".
Are you able to run ScummVM from a command line? If so, could you test the following command and to check the output difference between the Airport detection and Farm detection?
You'll need to run ScummVM with this command and then attempt to add (again) the farm game and then the airport game.

./scummvm -d3 --debugflags=DETECTION --debug-channels-only
eisnerguy1
Got a warning

Post by eisnerguy1 »

So, I updated to this version:
ScummVM 2.6.0git5785-g2a36aef83c9 (May 14 2022 04:29:14)

Here's the command line output when trying to add the Mac files for Let's Explore the Airport with Buzzy:
https://pastebin.com/Pfgh1xHd

And here's the command line output when trying to add the Mac files for Let's Explore the Farm with Buzzy:
https://pastebin.com/jcvDEAGY

Oh, something else I forgot. When running the ScummVM 2.6.0 daily builds, ScummVM quits right after adding a game. I tried adding a game using ScummVM 2.5.1 and that doesn't happen. The problem still exists in the build I mentioned above. The line that mentions "Segmentation fault: 11" happens immediately after pressing OK:
https://i.imgur.com/I71Ydpo.png

As far as I can see, SCUMM detector isn't detecting the mac files for Let's Explore the Farm with Buzzy for some reason.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

eisnerguy1 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:50 pm Oh, something else I forgot. When running the ScummVM 2.6.0 daily builds, ScummVM quits right after adding a game. I tried adding a game using ScummVM 2.5.1 and that doesn't happen. The problem still exists in the build I mentioned above. The line that mentions "Segmentation fault: 11" happens immediately after pressing OK:
https://i.imgur.com/I71Ydpo.png

As far as I can see, SCUMM detector isn't detecting the mac files for Let's Explore the Farm with Buzzy for some reason.
The segmentation fault may be some other unrelated bug. That should definitely be reported on the bug tracker.

Now, I think I'm circling back to the "The " issue, with slightly newfound knowledge. Looking again at the "engines/scumm/detection_tables.h" file, the entries for Airport and Jungle (full game) for Macintosh look like this:

{ "airport", "The AirPort", kGenHEMac, UNK_LANG, Common::kPlatformMacintosh, 0 },
{ "jungle", "The Jungle", kGenHEMac, UNK_LANG, Common::kPlatformMacintosh, 0 },
while the entry for Farm looks like:

So the idea is to change the second "farm" value (which is the "pattern" field) to "The Farm" for this entry, rebuild scummvm and check what happens. This is kind of similar to the previous suggestion though. The only difference is that now I'm matching the capitalization also, which I am not sure if it's the case, but the check could be case sensitive.
If you cannot rebuild scummvm, then do what I suggested originally, but rename the files for farm to lowercase to match the existing "farm" pattern in detection_tables.h, so: farm, farm (0), farm (1) and so on.
eisnerguy1
Got a warning

Post by eisnerguy1 »

Praetorian wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:40 pm The segmentation fault may be some other unrelated bug. That should definitely be reported on the bug tracker.

Now, I think I'm circling back to the "The " issue, with slightly newfound knowledge. Looking again at the "engines/scumm/detection_tables.h" file, the entries for Airport and Jungle (full game) for Macintosh look like this:

{ "airport", "The AirPort", kGenHEMac, UNK_LANG, Common::kPlatformMacintosh, 0 },
{ "jungle", "The Jungle", kGenHEMac, UNK_LANG, Common::kPlatformMacintosh, 0 },
while the entry for Farm looks like:

So the idea is to change the second "farm" value (which is the "pattern" field) to "The Farm" for this entry, rebuild scummvm and check what happens. This is kind of similar to the previous suggestion though. The only difference is that now I'm matching the capitalization also, which I am not sure if it's the case, but the check could be case sensitive.
If you cannot rebuild scummvm, then do what I suggested originally, but rename the files for farm to lowercase to match the existing "farm" pattern in detection_tables.h, so: farm, farm (0), farm (1) and so on.
I currently can't rebuild ScummVM so, I renamed the game's files and that did it :D
SCUMM detector found matching file 'farm (0)' with MD5 fbbbb38a81fc9d6a61d509278390a290, size 87061
https://pastebin.com/4G584xfu

I reported the Segmentation fault: 11 bug:
https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/13481

I also reported the naming issue as well:
https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/13483

There is another weird issue though. ScummVM complains about not being able to find "The Farm (9)". There's no Terminal output mentioning this though. :? The game seems to run ok so far.

I renamed these
  • The Farm
  • The Farm (0)
  • The Farm (1)
  • The Farm (2)
  • The Farm (4)
  • The Farm (9)
to these:
  • farm
  • farm (0)
  • farm (1)
  • farm (2)
  • farm (4)
  • farm (9)
Here's the game's entry in the "ScummVM Preferences" file:

[farm-mac]
filtering=false
scaler=normal
engineid=scumm
platform=macintosh
music_driver=auto
vsync=true
scale_factor=2
savepath=/Users/eisnerguy1/Documents/ScummVM Savegames/Humongous/Buzzy - Let's Explore/Let's Explore the Farm with Buzzy
subtitles=false
opl_driver=auto
aspect_ratio=false
guioptions=sndNoMIDI launchNoLoad noAspect lang_English
fullscreen=false
description=Let's Explore the Farm with Buzzy (Macintosh/English)
path=/Applications/ScummVM/Games/Humongous/Buzzy - Let's Explore/Let's Explore the Farm with Buzzy/Game Files
gameid=farm
language=en
talkspeed=85
stretch_mode=pixel-perfect
speech_mute=false
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Thank you for reporting these.

I'm glad it worked even with the temporary workaround. As I've written on that ticket, if the detection is updated in the ScummVM codebase, then you won't have to do the renaming and the missing resource file warning will be gone. We just have to make sure we don't break support for the game that detection entry was introduced for (a Dutch Mac version of Let's Explore the Farm). It could be the case that it was mistyped ofcourse back then, but we need to make sure.

Edit: PR opened here: https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/pull/3884
eisnerguy1
Got a warning

Post by eisnerguy1 »

Praetorian wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:53 am Thank you for reporting these.

I'm glad it worked even with the temporary workaround. As I've written on that ticket, if the detection is updated in the ScummVM codebase, then you won't have to do the renaming and the missing resource file warning will be gone. We just have to make sure we don't break support for the game that detection entry was introduced for (a Dutch Mac version of Let's Explore the Farm). It could be the case that it was mistyped ofcourse back then, but we need to make sure.

Edit: PR opened here: https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/pull/3884
Of course. Thank you all for the help getting it working :D