PPC version

Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM

Moderator: ScummVM Team

melchieor

PPC version

Post by melchieor »

Does anyone know if a new PPC version will be built for Mac OSX Tiger or Leopard? The latest version was 2.2.0 but its no longer on the main site nor under daily builds (at least I can't find it). Also any word on the OS9 version?
Match451

Re: PPC version

Post by Match451 »

I too am hoping for an updated PPC port. I have a couple of PowerMac G5s and an iBook G3 that I like to play retro games on, and ScummVM makes it very easy.
2Mourty

Post by 2Mourty »

I to would love PPC version for my 12 inch 1.5ghz powerbook. I can't seem to give this machine up as a little scummvm station even though it makes waaaaay more sense to use my more modern laptop.

I wish I could contribute to helping keeping an uptodate port for PPC, but I have no coding skills whatsoever unfortunately. :cry:
mika

Post by mika »

hello everyone! I have both 2.1.2 and 2.2.0 but neither will start on my Tiger G3.. The icon bounces and that's it. Any tips I could try?
HelixNRG

Post by HelixNRG »

I'd also like to chip in and say I'd be very grateful for continued support for PowerPC for Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger). Especially as v2.5.1 has many new great additions and bug fixes. I'm wondering whether the improved GUI might have been too much to support for PPC since we haven't seen any releases for it yet.

I only noticed recently too that I'm not getting music playback on games like Space Quest IV or V, or Day of the Tentacle, yet Space Quest III music plays fine. I didn't think this used to be a problem with version 2.1.0, but it seems to be on v2.2.0.

@mika, Make sure you download a newer version of v2.2.0. The original one had a bug where it wouldn't start up.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

melchieor wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:15 pm Does anyone know if a new PPC version will be built for Mac OSX Tiger or Leopard?
I no longer have a working PPC machine myself nor the motivation to continue making those builds and checking that they still work. So for it to happen somebody else with the motivation to do it will need to step up to maintain that port and make the release packages.
melchieor wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:15 pm The latest version was 2.2.0 but its no longer on the main site nor under daily builds (at least I can't find it). Also any word on the OS9 version?
We keep all the old versions, so those are still available. You can find the latest available versions for PPC Mac (ScummVM 2.2.0) and for Mac OS 9 (ScummVM 0.2.0) in the Older versions section of the download page: https://www.scummvm.org/downloads/#legacy
You can also browse directly https://downloads.scummvm.org/frs/scummvm/ to find even older versions.
Tsomi

Post by Tsomi »

Hi,

I'm trying to resurrect the Mac PowerPC port, and I've put an UNOFFICIAL build of the current 2.6.0git development version here (with all default engines):
https://github.com/dwatteau/scummvm/rel ... apshot.dmg

It should work as-is on Tiger and Leopard, but I'd be curious to know if it works for everyone; in particular I'd be interested in G3 tests (I've disabled Altivec in every component, except for SDL which appears to have a reliable runtime check for it).

(Building this required some changes, which I'm going to submit as PRs to the project, and it also required an updated MacPPC toolchain which still requires a native PowerPC Tiger machine to build it.)
Tsomi

Post by Tsomi »

I've put a new pre-release of ScummVM 2.6.0 for Mac PPC here:
https://github.com/dwatteau/scummvm/rel ... apshot.dmg

I believe it should now work on G3 processors too (Altivec will be enabled on-the-fly on G4/G5 processors for SDL and libjeg-turbo).

EDIT: ScummVM 2.6.0 has an official Mac PPC release on the download page (look for "PPC"). Note that this requires Mac OSX 10.4 (Tiger) or 10.5 (Leopard). It won't work on 10.3.
HelixNRG

Post by HelixNRG »

Just catching up with this thread now. Thank you so much for continuing support for SCUMMVM for PowerPC Mac OS X Tiger and up!
Tsomi

Post by Tsomi »

HelixNRG wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:37 pm Just catching up with this thread now. Thank you so much for continuing support for SCUMMVM for PowerPC Mac OS X Tiger and up!
Thanks! Some years ago I was very happy that ScummVM was still be available for OSX PPC, so now it's my time to help maintaining that as long as we reasonably can :)

By the way, if anyone can confirm if the latest official PPC release still works on G3 systems (running Tiger, then), that would be nice to hear. Thanks!
Regalia776

Post by Regalia776 »

Sorry for necroing this thread, but is there any chance of seeing 2.8 on PPC still? I don't have any programming knowledge unfortunately and wouldn't even know how to get started with compiling it for PPC and I would love to try e.g. Syberia on my PowerMac G5. I am actually typing this message on it right now.

Would also be glad if someone could send me a guide or something on how to compile ScummVM, if it doesn't require any advanced knowledge :)
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Regalia776 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:44 pm Sorry for necroing this thread, but is there any chance of seeing 2.8 on PPC still? I don't have any programming knowledge unfortunately and wouldn't even know how to get started with compiling it for PPC and I would love to try e.g. Syberia on my PowerMac G5. I am actually typing this message on it right now.
ScummVM 2.8 has not been released yet. The last official release is 2.7.1, and there is a mac OS X PPC build for it (available on https://www.scummvm.org/downloads/#release). However Syberia was not yet supported in that release, so this will not help for that particular game.

Also the contributor who was providing those builds needs to take a break from the project, which means that unless somebody else steps up to do it for the next release, there is a real possibility that there will be no mac PPC build for it.
Tsomi

Post by Tsomi »

OSX PPC maintainer here. I'm very busy from week to week so I can't make any promise on the 2.8.0 OSX PCC release, but I'm maybe going to be able to build this release on time, or be a bit late. Or maybe not for now…

I've given my build scripts to the team in case someone else has to maintain this port, but "basically" it consists in using the The Unofficial TenFourFox Development Toolkit on an OSX Tiger system, build dependencies as static libraries inside some directory, and build an OSX bundle from that with the documented target. Then some install_name_tools tricks (like this: https://github.com/classilla/tenfourfox ... fx_copy.sh) must be used to embed the updated libstdc++. A bit of care must be given to non-Altivec G3s, such as with -force_cpusubtype_ALL (also see https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic ... &t=1328885 for a way of testing non-Altivec compatibility on a G4).

Happy to see that people are still interested in this port! Even though I can't be as active on ScummVM as I used to be, for now.
Tsomi

Post by Tsomi »

Regalia776 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:44 pm Sorry for necroing this thread, but is there any chance of seeing 2.8 on PPC still? I don't have any programming knowledge unfortunately and wouldn't even know how to get started with compiling it for PPC and I would love to try e.g. Syberia on my PowerMac G5. I am actually typing this message on it right now.

Would also be glad if someone could send me a guide or something on how to compile ScummVM, if it doesn't require any advanced knowledge :)
I've built the 2.8.0 release for OSX PPC today, so it will appear on official release day, along with the other ports.

Any testing on this platform is very much appreciated. Syberia tests would be good, too. If you encounter any issue, please compare it with a more "mainstream" port (such as the PC release), and report things on bugs.scummvm.org. The OSX PPC target is big-endian, so sometimes compatibility issues show up. The more people test things there, the more we're told about issues, the more we're likely to fix them :) Thanks!