How to extract ATLANTIS.000 from the Steam version of Fate of Atlantis?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Horjaaf

How to extract ATLANTIS.000 from the Steam version of Fate of Atlantis?

Post by Horjaaf »

I'm working on a Finnish translation of FoA, and noticed that the ScummTR software, by far the easiest way to translate SCUMM games, requires the games' data files, which is named ATLANTIS.000 in FoA's case.

However, I only happen to own the Steam version, where ATLANTIS.000 is baked into the .exe file, which ScummTR cannot read. I did find a software called LAAExtract, which seemed to be just what I was looking for, but I simply couldn't get it to work despite doing everything right.

Can anyone help me?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: How to extract ATLANTIS.000 from the Steam version of Fate of Atlantis?

Post by eriktorbjorn »

I don't have that particular version of the game myself, but this is what I see in the file detection_steam.h:

Code: Select all

{ GID_INDY4, Common::kPlatformWindows,   "atlantis.%03d", "ATLANTIS.000",  "Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.exe", 224336, 12035 },
	{ GID_INDY4, Common::kPlatformMacintosh, "atlantis.%03d", "ATLANTIS.000",  "The Fate of Atlantis",                       260224, 12035 },
The ATLANTIS.000 file from my English DOS CD is 12,035 bytes, so I think this means that the data is the 12,035 bytes found at offset 224,336 in the "Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.exe" file (in the Windows version) or at offset 260,224 in the "The Fate of Atlantis" file (in the Mac version).

As for how to extract that slice of the file... well, I guess that depends on what operating system you're using. With Linux, you could probably type something like this at a command prompt:

Code: Select all

dd if=Indiana\ Jones\ and\ the\ Fate\ of\ Atlantis.exe of=ATLANTIS.000 skip=224336 count=12035 iflag=skip_bytes,count_bytes
I just tried something similar with Loom, which I do own, and the 000.LFL I extracted from Loom.exe was identical to the one from my CD.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Let us know how the process went; I'm interested in this as a potential future translation project for me, but didn't have the time to look into it yet.

I guess the re-import process into the exe -- to keep launching it from Steam may be a bit trickier -- the offset were you put the data will remain the same, but there might be some field earlier in the exe about the size of the data or the whole file that will have to be adjusted also.
Tsomi

Post by Tsomi »

Yeah, I'd like to add easier support for these Steam versions inside ScummTR (at least a small guide that's easy to follow for Windows users too), but I haven't looked at this yet.

If you just want to extract the original content and play it inside ScummVM, I'd recommend getting it from GOG at the moment (it's on sale at a very very low price here). Or you need a bit of ease with Python, GNU dd or a hex editor + the instructions above.

But if you really want your translated version to work within the original Steam interpreter, you'll have to wait a bit, because indeed reimporting it might need some extra work (probably nothing too complicated here, but it's a matter of someone finding a bit of time to look into this).