Grim Fandango / Full Throttle on PSP

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

moli_3

Grim Fandango / Full Throttle on PSP

Post by moli_3 »

Hello everyone,

I got the 2.5.1 version on my PSP and Full Throttle crashes after few lines of dialogue. Skipping the scene doesn't solve the issue.

Now with Grim Fandango I've created a folder with all the LAB files and the .exe patch and it's possible to add the game. Then comes out this: " ScummVM will now verify the game data files, to make sure you have the best gaming experience. This may take a while, please wait. Successive runs will not check them again." and while it's reaching the end it crashes.

How can I solve these problems? It's even possible to play GF on a PSP?
Thanks for your dedication, ScummVM is a great way to dive into the past of videogames!

Davide
moli_3

Re: Grim Fandango / Full Throttle on PSP

Post by moli_3 »

Hey, is there anybody out there?
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

moli_3 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:25 pm Hey, is there anybody out there?
Hello, I don't have an answer as this question is PSP specific but I will move this thread to our PSP port specific sub-forum, so maybe a ScummVM developer who knows the details of the port can provide more information.

You can also ask on our Discord, where you might be able to reach developers faster (as always, depending on whether they are online and available to reply)
moli_3

Post by moli_3 »

Ok, I'm gonna try as you suggest!
Thanks for your advice :)
rsn8887

Post by rsn8887 »

moli_3 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:22 pm Hello everyone,

I got the 2.5.1 version on my PSP and Full Throttle crashes after few lines of dialogue. Skipping the scene doesn't solve the issue.

Now with Grim Fandango I've created a folder with all the LAB files and the .exe patch and it's possible to add the game. Then comes out this: " ScummVM will now verify the game data files, to make sure you have the best gaming experience. This may take a while, please wait. Successive runs will not check them again." and while it's reaching the end it crashes.

How can I solve these problems? It's even possible to play GF on a PSP?
Thanks for your dedication, ScummVM is a great way to dive into the past of videogames!

Davide
I can not reproduce the crash with Full Throttle on my PSP, using ScummVM PSP 2.5.1. What type of audio compression, if any, are you using? You can check the compression by looking at the ending of the "monster.so*" file in your Full Throttle game folder. I only tested ogg compression (monster.sog), mp3 compression (monster.so3) and uncompressed (monster.sou). I never tested Flac compression (monster.sof). By the way, In future versions of ScummVM (2.6.0 and beyond) mp3 compression support will go away for Full Throttle, The Dig, and Curse of Monkey Island.

I never tested Grim Fandango. The PSP is just not powerful enough for the 3D graphics in this game, so I don't think it is worth it. It might just run out of memory, too. If I find some more time, I might test it, but it will never run in a playable speed on PSP.
jul16ares

Post by jul16ares »

I tried Grim Fandango too, and by the end it was the same as you.
I fooled myself, this thing can run 1 sec, on the PSP