Samsung TV port

Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM

Moderator: ScummVM Team

WeirdEssential

Samsung TV port

Post by WeirdEssential »

Hello.
I've been thinking of a port of ScummVM for modern Samsung TVs running Tizen.
Is it possible? If no, why? If yes, is there any interest?
(btw, I don't have any experience on programming, this post is just a little experiment)
ccawley2011

Re: Samsung TV port

Post by ccawley2011 »

WeirdEssential wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:41 pm Hello.
I've been thinking of a port of ScummVM for modern Samsung TVs running Tizen.
Is it possible? If no, why? If yes, is there any interest?
(btw, I don't have any experience on programming, this post is just a little experiment)
There used to be a Tizen port of ScummVM, however it was removed in August 2020 for several reasons:
- No-one was maintaining it.
- The instructions for building the Tizen port were very out of date, which made it hard to set up a build environment for local development or for the buildbot.
- The port was very likely to be broken due to major changes involving ScummVM's OpenGL code, and we were unable to assess how well it supported C++11 since the other developers were unable to check that it was still able to compile.
- It seems that modern versions of Tizen requires apps to be rewritten using EFL, and no longer provide the Bada-derived API that the original ScummVM port used. As such, it would likely be necessary to rewrite the Tizen port from scratch. I may be misunderstanding things here, though.

Having said that, a new Tizen port that addresses the issues that the old one had would be very much welcome. If this is something that you (or anyone else) would be interested in working on, feel free to ask questions here or on IRC/Discord about where to start with working on ScummVM.
WeirdEssential

Re: Samsung TV port

Post by WeirdEssential »

Interesting.
I don't know anything about programming neither know anyone that is, but at least some people desire it.
A pity too, since most Samsung TVs (that I'm aware of) have native keyboard and mouse support, which already makes a port of it less of hastle (unlike the 2009 TVs, as they needed a 3rd party app for the mouse and keyboard).