You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

b_o_b

Re: You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike

Post by b_o_b »

dreammaster wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:28 pm It is actually possible to set the width and height for the game window for Glk in the configuration settings for a game. Along with other settings such as font sizes and colors. Though I'm actually right in the middle of making improvements to the configuration handling.. some of the sub-engines, such as the new Comprehend one, need different default colors, so were completely overwriting the game settings. At the same time, I'll be adding code in so that after the first time you run a game, all the possible configuration items will be written to scummvm.ini, so it'll make it easier for users to see what options are available when they want to change something.

Unfortunately, such manual changes are currently the only way to change things. Even though the ScummVM Launcher allows for games to have their own custom "Engines" tab with game-specific settings, it's not sophisticated enough yet to allow for all the various edit controls that would be needed to allow users to select all the various colors and settings. So for now, such things will have to be a manual process.
Hi looking for changing font settings for Glk games. Current night build has a blue background and very small fonts. Unreadable on my small handheld. It is not possible to update via the gui, but it isn't clear to me how to handle it in the config file? I don't see something mentioned in this link:
https://docs.scummvm.org/en/latest/adva ... _file.html

I'd like the fonts to be (at least) twice as large and white on black background.

[edit] just noticed that the post above this one had a setting that at least fixes the fontsize
changed propsize to 20 - now it is readable:
propsize=20

Is there an overview with these options? I would also like to adjust the fixed title/header in the game if that is possible. Currently testing Moonmist.
I assume it is not possible to fix this with one setting for all Glk games?

Nice that text adventures are added to Scummvm just recently got the message :)
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

b_o_b wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:12 pm Is there an overview with these options? I would also like to adjust the fixed title/header in the game if that is possible. Currently testing Moonmist.
I assume it is not possible to fix this with one setting for all Glk games?
Not really at the moment. Presumably there may be some documentation of the various settings in the Gargoyle project that the engine is based on, but neither myself nor anyone else has taken the time to hunting down any such thing and adding them to the ScummVM Wiki.
b_o_b

Post by b_o_b »

dreammaster wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:31 am Not really at the moment. Presumably there may be some documentation of the various settings in the Gargoyle project that the engine is based on, but neither myself nor anyone else has taken the time to hunting down any such thing and adding them to the ScummVM Wiki.
Thanks! Seems like exactly this topic is a discussed right now by Gargoyle devs.

https://github.com/garglk/garglk/wiki/Color-Themes
https://github.com/garglk/garglk/issues/345

So I've tried to include one of the 'themes' in the config file and it caused ScummVM to crash (no log file change)

windowcolor 4d4d4f
caretcolor ffffff
morecolor ffddaa
tcolor * ffffff 4d4d4f
tcolor 8 ddffdd 4d4d4f
gcolor * 333333 ffffff

also tried (no crash but didn't change the colors):

windowcolor=4d4d4f
caretcolor=ffffff
morecolor=ffddaa
tcolor *=ffffff 4d4d4f
tcolor 8=ddffdd 4d4d4f
gcolor *=333333 ffffff

and

windowcolor=4d4d4f
caretcolor=ffffff
morecolor=ffddaa
tcolor=* ffffff 4d4d4f
tcolor=8 ddffdd 4d4d4f
gcolor=* 333333 ffffff

Then created a .garglkrc file in $HOME/ as suggested by the Gargoyle dev but that doesn't seem to be picked up by ScummVM. Any suggestions? If not I think I will create a ticket. Having the ability to change the color scheme is pretty essential for a text based game.

BTW - will Glk be synced in 2.6 with the latest Gargoyle updates?
This might be a nice improvement that is currently in the works. Very niche use case of course, but still could be interesting for someone.
https://github.com/garglk/garglk/pull/627
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

b_o_b wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:08 am Then created a .garglkrc file in $HOME/ as suggested by the Gargoyle dev but that doesn't seem to be picked up by ScummVM. Any suggestions? If not I think I will create a ticket. Having the ability to change the color scheme is pretty essential for a text based game.
Thanks for the info. As for a garglkrc file, ScummVM doesn't currently support this. Instead, you need to go to the scummvm.ini file and add the settings to the section for the game you added. Maybe more of the properties can be made editable in the launcher's game settings dialog for the game, but at the moment it's not a high priority. Likewise, updating the codebase.. I have other game engines I'm currently working on, or plan to work on in the near future.
b_o_b

Post by b_o_b »

dreammaster wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:27 am Thanks for the info. As for a garglkrc file, ScummVM doesn't currently support this. Instead, you need to go to the scummvm.ini file and add the settings to the section for the game you added. Maybe more of the properties can be made editable in the launcher's game settings dialog for the game, but at the moment it's not a high priority. Likewise, updating the codebase.. I have other game engines I'm currently working on, or plan to work on in the near future.
Yes i've tried it via the scummvm.config file (I am on Linux). No problem to change fontsize in there, so that is nice and apparently works but colors are lacking.
Tried some color setting from here.
https://github.com/sigi/dotfiles/blob/master/garglkrc

I will make a feature request then, a nice to have but I understand that there might be other priorities. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
b_o_b

Post by b_o_b »

GusCE6

Post by GusCE6 »

1) SCUMMVM just gets better and better. It was really amazing being able to play "Zniw Adventure"- a game which requires Windows Vista or later- on a 2001 Windows XP Sony VAIO. The implications of that speak for themselves. It also got "Foxtail Chapter 3" running on both Sony and somewhat superior 2002 Dell, something SwiftShader 2.1 was no longer capable of doing itself directly- pity future chapters will use (phooey!) the Unity engine.

2) Only about a week and a half ago I came across AGT 1.7, and am currently learning about it while programming an all-text game for sale on Steam and GOG (hopefully). One interesting aspect is how it's possible to overcome its limitations, like how to put the same noun in all rooms (with specific exceptions) and how to make it so a monster can be killed by more than one item and how to make it possible to leave a room with a hostile monster in it.

You can also create images with keyboard graphics like "SantcuaryRPG Black" and "Stone Story RPG."

I'm actually enjoying this effort, and if SCUMMVM can run it then that game can really run on ANYTHING. Heck, games programmed with AGT 1.7 even run on mobile DOS emulators for the Windows CE 6 Sylvania netbook with its ARM 8505 400MHz processor and 50 (count `em!) MB RAM.

What more will future versions do?