Which one do I download for Steam Deck?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

CJDJ

Which one do I download for Steam Deck?

Post by CJDJ »

Greetings all,

I have a Steam Deck and wanted to install Scummvm to it. I'm not very savy with Linux, and am not sure which installer I choose for it. Can someone point me in the correct direction? Thanks in advance!

Edit: if this is in the wrong place, I apologize. Sorry about that.
rootfather
ScummVM Lead

Re: Which one do I download for Steam Deck?

Post by rootfather »

We currently don't have a build specifically crafted for the Steam Deck, so you most likely have to compile it on your own.

Please refer to https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php?titl ... cummVM/GCC for more information.
chrisis

Post by chrisis »

While I'm neither a developer nor own a Steam Deck yet (still waiting on my Q1 reservation :)) ScummVM is available on flathub.org as a Flatpak package (https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.scummvm.ScummVM), thus you should be able to install it in KDE Discover (the buillt in "app store" in Desktop Mode), no idea how well it works though as so far I haven't seen any reports of ScummVM being used on the Steam Deck (I will certainly try it though as soon as I get my Steam Deck)
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

As chrisis said, ScummVM is in the main repositories of the Discover app when you switch to Desktop Mode. Then you just have to launch Steam in Desktop Mode, add a non-Steam game to your games list the same way you would on Steam for Windows, and then switch back to Steam Deck mode and it'll be in your game list.
rootfather wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:57 pm We currently don't have a build specifically crafted for the Steam Deck, so you most likely have to compile it on your own.

Please refer to https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php?titl ... cummVM/GCC for more information.
It's just Arch Linux, man. The Steam Deck is just a PC. You don't need a specific build for the Steam Deck. SteamInput takes care of binding all the Deck's controls/buttons which you can set yourself to behave however you want (in Steam). There's actually no other way to hook into all the Deck's capabilities than via the software inside Steam as the default behaviour appears as a mouse and keyboard to the OS.
CJDJ

Post by CJDJ »

Appreciate the responses. I did check the Discover store, and it didn't have the latest "daily" build. It has the regular Stable build (2.5.1). I've had more success with the latest build for games like Grim Fandango, Longest Journey, etc.
MusicallyInspired

Ah of course. That makes what I just said mostly stupid. lol oh well.
chrisis

Post by chrisis »

Yeah sure that's a dilemma.
While I'm sure it is possible to compile he latest master an Steam Deck it's probably not that easy as installing the libs is a bit of a trouble from what I've read due to some security measures in Steam OS (standard arch linux pacman installs don't work, there are workarounds, but if you're not used to Linux it's not recommended to try that... I'm sure there are tutorials for that kind of stuff a [your favorite web seach engine] search away if you're adventurous and are happy to wipe your Steam Deck and reinstall everything if everything goes south :)).

However the mentioned games (Grim Fandango and TLJ) just work just fine on the latest stable version (one notable game that's not working as it's not considered stable yet is Escape From Monkey Island though) so I would definitely try that.
rootfather
ScummVM Lead

Post by rootfather »

Do you have access to the snapcraft.io store on the Steam Deck or is it just FlatPak?

In case Snap packages are available, you could try the

Code: Select all

edge
channel of the

Code: Select all

scummvm
snap [1].

[1] https://snapcraft.io/scummvm
MusicallyInspired

Out of the box operation is just Flatpaks I think. But I'm sure you could manually add that. (don't have my Steam Deck yet, I'm in the Q2 group but I've been eating up almost every video I can get my hands on)
CJDJ

Post by CJDJ »

You are correct about Flatpacks. As per the FAQ: https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/v ... -E8D2-323C we can install other apps using pacman, but we have to unlock the system. I'm not very familiar with Linux, so I'm hesitant compiling it.
MusicallyInspired

According to that link, all you have to do to "unlock" it is run the 'passwd' command in a terminal window and set a password for elevated privileges. Then you can use "sudo" to run commands that require administrator elevation and can install things with pacman.
chrisis

Post by chrisis »

I got my Steamdeck today and can confirm that the Flatpak version (it's 2.5.1) works perfectly fine including playing the supported 3D games (I tried Grim Fandango and The longest Journey for a little bit). Both control sticks as well the touchpad (which basically acts as a mouse) work fine but of course you could tweak the Steam settings if you really want.

Just download it from Discover in Desktop mode, add it as non Steam Game in Desktop mode and then go back to game mode - ScummVM is there and works as well as it should. Of course you also need to add the games too, but there are several tutorials out there on how to add files to the Steamdeck.

One thing that isn't required but I did for convenience was add Micro SD and home directory access with Flatseal (also available on Discovery) so I'm not restricted to a weird subdirectory to add games to...
MusicallyInspired

Great to hear!!