King's Quest 7 Error

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Indiana88

King's Quest 7 Error

Post by Indiana88 »

Hello,

I have the German Windows version (1.51, CD) of King's Quest 7. When I copy all files from the CD to my computer, ScummVM recognize the game correctly. But when I start the game, I get the error message about "missing game ressources" (see attachment).
King's Quest 7 Error.jpg
King's Quest 7 Error.jpg (154.58 KiB) Viewed 1353 times
Does someone have the same issue and know what to do? Do I have to change some settings?

Thanks
Andreas
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: King's Quest 7 Error

Post by Praetorian »

Indiana88 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:32 pm Hello,

I have the German Windows version (1.51, CD) of King's Quest 7. When I copy all files from the CD to my computer, ScummVM recognize the game correctly. But when I start the game, I get the error message about "missing game ressources" (see attachment).
Did you follow the instructions on our wiki page for this game? In particular the second of the following
  • Directories that exist on multiple discs (e.g. ROBOT and VMD directories) must be merged together, not replaced.
  • Rename the RESOURCE.SFX from each CD to RESSFX.00<cdnumber>, and the RESOURCE.AUD from each CD to RESAUD.00<cdnumber>, to match the corresponding RESSCI.00<cdnumber> file that exists on each CD.
  • It should be safe to replace any other files from later CDs that were copied already from earlier CDs.
wiki page: https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/King ... data_files
Indiana88

Post by Indiana88 »

Hello,

thanks for your answer. My version only has 1 CD. I tried to rename RESOURCE.SFX (to RESSFX.001) and RESOURCE.AUD (to RESAUD.001). But it failed, perhaps because there are no "RESSCI.00" files.

On my CD are the following files:
King's Quest 7 Files.jpg
King's Quest 7 Files.jpg (378.08 KiB) Viewed 1323 times

Thanks
Andreas
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Indiana88 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:52 pm thanks for your answer. My version only has 1 CD
That's true of my English copy too, so I don't think you have to rename any files for King's Quest 7.

I think I've found the warning message you're seeing, but the comment there talks about King's Quest 5 so that's not much help. At least some of the cases where the _hasBadResources flag is set will print a warning message. Could you try starting ScummVM from a command prompt and see if you see any?

I don't know enough about the SCI engine to tell from the file list if anything's missing.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

You're both right, sorry. I only have the digital version of the game from GOG (only DOS/English version is available), and went with our wiki page instructions. Wikipedia does mention how the developers put extra effort to fit everything in one CD. So I guess all physical versions had one CD.

Perhaps we should update the entry on the wiki page -- might be better to do that after we figure out the issue with the German CD version, as maybe that is also related to the instructions for making the game folder that is.

Anyway, my GOG (DOS/English) installation folder, has a "PATCHES" folder in addition to what I'm seeing in your attached screenshot, it is missing the "ENGLISH" and "GERMAN" folders and the RESOURCE.WIN files. Some files have different sizes but that could be because of the different localization. It runs fine with ScummVM.
gogKq7fileList.png
gogKq7fileList.png (96.42 KiB) Viewed 1270 times
Edit: The error message is from: engines\sci\engine\script.cpp. I think it indicates a parsing error with some script (?)
https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/blob ... .cpp#L1064

Or it could just be some corrupted data file -- some file that wasn't copied intact maybe?
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Indiana88 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:32 pm Does someone have the same issue and know what to do? Do I have to change some settings?
An update on this. sluicebox, a ScummVM developer familiar with SCI engine and very active on resolving bugs, supporting and maintaining the engine, wrote the following to me on Discord:
I think it's as simple as their copy of the game files being corrupt. i have that exact version and it works. that first message comes from one of many problems that can happen when parsing fails on invalid input, and the crash is showing some nonsense values that are consistent with the game files being trashed

scummvm.log probably has more details, but the bottom line is almost certainly that their files are wrong
Indiana88

Post by Indiana88 »

Thanks for all your answers. Some more information: I have ScummVM and all my old PC-games on a USB-stick and start it directly from the USB-stick. Several months ago, I could play my King's Quest VII version with ScummVM (ScummVM and KQ7 on the USB-Stick). So I'm confused, why KQ7 isn't working any more. Because all other games are working fine from the USB-stick.

So I disconnected my USB-stick from my PC and uninstalled everything ScummVM related from the PC. Then I reinstalled ScummVM and copied KQ7 directly on my PC and it worked: I could play KQ7 without any problems. When I connected my USB-stick again to the PC, I again got the error message, even when I opened ScummVM and KQ7 from the same file on my PC as before. When I disconnect the USB-stick again, it's also working fine again. Both are the latest ScummVM versions: 2.5.1. As mentioned: all other games are still working fine from the USB-stick.

So fortunately, I can play KQ7 again, thanks for your input :-). If anybody also have the problem, this could be a way to solve it.

Thanks
Andreas