Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

nicoParis

SCUMMVM on an old android tablet

Post by nicoParis »

Hi,

I'm trying to install and use scummvm on an old android tablet :
MPman MP969 from around ten years ago
running android 4.0.4 (ice cream sandwich) (maybe upgradeable to 4.2.x - but can't find the rom)

lastest version 2.5.1 dont install (I've seen compatibility is limited to android 4.1)
APK installs for older scummvm 2.0.0 and 1.9.0 version but crashes just after splash screen.

Can you give me some hints :
where to find older scummvm versions that were compatible with this kind of device ?
why is it crashing at startup ? And is there any way to troubleshoot it (some log somewhere maybe ?)?
=> if you know some dark place where people enjoy using scummvm with older hardware ?

Thanks in advance for your help !

Nico
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: SCUMMVM on an old android tablet

Post by Praetorian »

nicoParis wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:58 am Hi,

I'm trying to install and use scummvm on an old android tablet :
MPman MP969 from around ten years ago
running android 4.0.4 (ice cream sandwich) (maybe upgradeable to 4.2.x - but can't find the rom)

lastest version 2.5.1 dont install (I've seen compatibility is limited to android 4.1)
APK installs for older scummvm 2.0.0 and 1.9.0 version but crashes just after splash screen.

Can you give me some hints :
where to find older scummvm versions that were compatible with this kind of device ?
why is it crashing at startup ? And is there any way to troubleshoot it (some log somewhere maybe ?)?
=> if you know some dark place where people enjoy using scummvm with older hardware ?

Thanks in advance for your help !

Nico
Hello,

There's a similar bug report on our bug tracker, but about 4.1, here:
https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/13067

I only have physical Android devices with Android 4.4.4 or higher to test on. I suppose it could be possible to try on Android Studio emulator, if they still support Android 4.0.x images (which they may have dropped - I don't know as of yet), but compatibility this far back is on a low priority on my current Android-port related task list.

However, I'm quite sure that the older versions of Android that we offer on our website (2.0.0 and maybe 1.9.0) should work on 4.0.x -- I think I was using those for a while with really old devices that I've since recycled.

The best way to get a log about the crash, would be via logcat of Android Studio. Which would mean you'd have to enable "developer mode" on the device, then enable "USB debugging" for its developer options list, connect with a PC running Android Studio via USB, allow Android Studio to detect the device and choose it on the devices list (you'll probably have to accept a related request on the device at that point), then open the Logcat window of Android Studio and the ScummVM on the device and monitor / copy the log output (filter by "scummvm" for a cleaner more scummvm specific output).

You can also browse the ScummVM file server for even older Android versions. I can see Android port release builds in 1.8.1, 1.7.0, 1.5.0 and other versions (but not every version) going back to 1.2.0.

https://downloads.scummvm.org/frs/scummvm/

About your last question, I'm afraid I'm not aware of such community of people using really old ScummVM versions on old Android devices. But maybe someone else does.
nicoParis

Re: SCUMMVM on an old android tablet

Post by nicoParis »

Thank you for your advice and information.

I tried scummvm 1.2.1 and it works. I will try more recent versions later.
It's great to find an use for such old device :-)

I will also try to find the log for the crash in version 1.9 and 2.0.0 with android studio.