ScummVM 2.3.0git running on PocketPC

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

carlo_bramini

ScummVM 2.3.0git running on PocketPC

Post by carlo_bramini »

Hello,
I took the latest sources of ScummVM from GIT and I compiled them for Windows CE.
After about one day of work, I resurrected the virtual machine on this platform with few changes and by using current SDL user interface.
I have to say that I expected to find much more troubles.
Actually, in the current code, the support for Windows CE is completely missing if compared to version 1.5.0.
However, it seems that that other thing improved, like UNICODE support, so my port for WinCE uses 99,9% of the current code.
Probably the biggest addition is the WINCE symbol, to be used into the various .mk files for excluding some files not needed here.

While ScummVM-2.3.0git seems to work file, the biggest problem comes out as soon as the window is displayed on my Asus Mypal.

As you can see, the problem is the limited size of the displays into those devices.
The window of the user interface is much bigger than the size of the screen.
I can move left and right the window by clicking with the pen on the title bar, but I can not move it up and down to a position higher than the top of the desktop.
For this reason, the classic theme is unusable because all buttons are in the bottom of the window :( so I cannot press them.
The official theme is better, although I can just add a game and run it, because the option button is unreachable. :?

However, the first results seem to be really positive... but now I'm wondering: is there an alternative user interface that we can use for such small screens?
I have seen that there are several port to some machines with little display, included in the official sources, but it is not quite clear to me how they are expected to work...

Thank you for your replies.
Sincerely.
Attachments
20210815_183025.jpg
20210815_183025.jpg (68.8 KiB) Viewed 52390 times
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: ScummVM 2.3.0git running on PocketPC

Post by sev »

That's awesome! Keep up your work on the port!

As for the simpler GUI, apparently, your backend does not provide proper native resolution, otherwise, GUI would switch to the 320x200 layout. We keep this layout up-to-date specifically for the smaller screen devices.

Eugene
ccawley2011

Post by ccawley2011 »

Looks promising :-)

The issue here is that when using the Surface SDL graphics code, the window resolution is set based on the game resolution, which is usually 320x200 times an integer scale value, and setting the size of the overlay (the layer that contains the GUI) based on that, as opposed to allowing any resolution and scaling the game image to fit the window, which is what most of the other backends do. The issue could be mitigated slightly by passing

Code: Select all

--disable-scalers
to the configure script, which would result in a 320x200 window by default instead of a 640x400 one, but proper support would likely require adding support for arbitrary scaling to the SurfaceSDLGraphicsManager class.
carlo_bramini

Post by carlo_bramini »

It seems that adding "--disable-scalers" made a much more usable result:
BTW, do you know if, inside the virtual machine, there are already some options for:
1) rotating the screen landscape/portrait?
2) adding a virtual keyboard?

Here, I attached the latest results after adding that option at configure time, tested with the demo version of "The Secret of Monkey Island":
Attachments
20210816_200810.jpg
20210816_200810.jpg (79.01 KiB) Viewed 52345 times
20210816_200502_HDR.jpg
20210816_200502_HDR.jpg (86.38 KiB) Viewed 52345 times
ccawley2011

Post by ccawley2011 »

carlo_bramini wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:40 pm 1) rotating the screen landscape/portrait?
I looked at the SDL for Windows CE README file, and it seems to suggest that it handles rotation automatically when running in full screen, so you might want to experiment with that in the options menu.
carlo_bramini wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:40 pm 2) adding a virtual keyboard?
Yes, you can compile with

Code: Select all

--enable-vkeybd
to enable the virtual keyboard. By default it's mapped CTRL+F7, but it can be remapped in the options menu.
pilaxoft

Post by pilaxoft »

I am a fan of scumm and a fan of windows ce. How many hours I have enjoyed playing monkeys, fable, broken sword, etc.
Can you send me a copy of your development to try in my pocket pc?
Thank you.
greyfrontier

Post by greyfrontier »

Hi, I wanted to know if the port could be posted+source. Even in an incomplete state it's still useful
GusCE6

Post by GusCE6 »

I run the last version of SCUMMVM for Windows CE on a Sylvania Windows CE6 netbook, ARM 8505 processor at 400MHz.

It works, but only as a little 320h x 240v window in the upper-right corner on a little netbook screen. It cannot be moved.

It needs the GAPI app to run. This no doubt slows it down greatly, so trying to double the size of the window makes it literally unplayable.

How would this version be?
greyfrontier

Post by greyfrontier »

@GusCE6
Hi, if you don't mind, can you please try posting your issue to HPC:Factor? I'm a member there and the forum is pretty active for CE. Maybe someone can help?
https://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums ... asp?fid=49
nozomi

Post by nozomi »

I'd love to see the PocketPC get a new release. I have a copy of a daily build from the 1.7 release era that works for me on an HP iPAQ 110 and an older Sumsung Phone. Would the ScummVM team be interested or willing to host the files on the downloads page?