Playing DOTT with SFX but without voices?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

blueskirt

Playing DOTT with SFX but without voices?

Post by blueskirt »

Greeting, folks!
Quick question: is it possible to play DOTT with sound effects, but without the English voices?

I ask because I would like to replay it with my niece, but I find the English voices during the cutscenes a bit distracting especially when the game is played in another language than English. On the other hand, when I disable the voices and only keep the text subtitles, the game feels ways too silent because the water splashing effect, birds chirping, or tentacles suction noise effects are also gone.

Is there a modified monster.sou file floating around, or a trick, or an option, or a version of DOTT that has the sound effects but without the voices?
Thanks in advance for your answers,
chrisis

Re: Playing DOTT with SFX but without voices?

Post by chrisis »

I'm pretty sure the floppy disk version only has the sound effects (except for the intro which is voiced), at least so does the German floppy version I have.

I doubt it would be ok to share the monster.sou for this though for copyright reasons and I think the floppy version is kind of hard to get these days (also most people don't own a floppy drive these days anyway :))
Might be worth it to look around ebay or similar places and in the process also pick up a cheap USB floppy drive...
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

chrisis wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:24 am I doubt it would be ok to share the monster.sou for this though for copyright reasons
Simply replacing the CD version's monster.sou with the floppy version's probably wouldn't work anyway. From what I remember, the game hard-codes the exact offsets into the file where it should play each sounds from.
chrisis

Post by chrisis »

eriktorbjorn wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:38 pm
chrisis wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:24 am I doubt it would be ok to share the monster.sou for this though for copyright reasons
Simply replacing the CD version's monster.sou with the floppy version's probably wouldn't work anyway. From what I remember, the game hard-codes the exact offsets into the file where it should play each sounds from.
Yeah, I thought it wouldn't work just replacing the file (didn't try it though), just if OP manages to get the floppy version of the game they might get wat they want (minus the talkie intro of course :))
Tsomi

Post by Tsomi »

Hi,

If you select your Day of the Tentacle game in ScummVM, and then click Edit > Volume > Override global volume settings > and only put the "Speech volume" selector to zero, I think you should get what you were looking for?

At least here, with my French and English versions of DOTT, it mutes all the voices, but I still hear the bird/water/tentacle noises.
blueskirt

Post by blueskirt »

Tsomi wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:33 pm Hi,

If you select your Day of the Tentacle game in ScummVM, and then click Edit > Volume > Override global volume settings > and only put the "Speech volume" selector to zero, I think you should get what you were looking for?

At least here, with my French and English versions of DOTT, it mutes all the voices, but I still hear the bird/water/tentacle noises.

That's so simplistic.... and yet it works! I am speechless. :D

And cherry on top: it works on the CD version too!

Thanks for the quick fix, Tsomi!