Quest For Glory II AGD VGA remake

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Kloen

Quest For Glory II AGD VGA remake

Post by Kloen »

Hi all,
I recently downloaded the AGD vga remake of QfG2 - but ScummVM (Android - attached a pic of of my current build) can't locate the game in the chosen directory. I'm on a Google Pixel 5 running Android 12
Any ideas?
Attachments
Build pic
Build pic
Screenshot_20220124-214901.png (51.09 KiB) Viewed 7465 times
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Re: Quest For Glory II AGD VGA remake

Post by criezy »

The AGD remake of Quest for Glory II is using the AGS engine, which is only supported since ScummVM 2.5.0. The version you are trying to use (2.3.0) is thus too old to play that game.
Kloen

Post by Kloen »

Thank you. In Google Play I can't update the ScummVM app, so how do I update? And if I do, will all my games and savegames disappear?

Thank you for your help
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

iirc you cannot automatically (or forcefully) upgrade from a development (debug build) version to a release build or vice versa.

If you absolutely want to go to a newer release build you'd have to first uninstall your development build, which would mean that you'll lose your current list of added games and saved games. You could take a backup of the saved games if you can access them via USB connection or the LAN server.

Alternatively, however, you should be able upgrade from your development build (2.3.0git) to a recent daily development build (2.6.0git) without losing your existing configuration and saved games.

Daily development builds get the latest updates so they can sometimes be unstable and slow, but on a modern device you probably won't notice the slowness, and we could use the feedback of any issues you encounter.
Kloen

Post by Kloen »

I tried the daily builds and the main build ARM64v8a - they all came back with the message that it wasn't installed, because it is in conflict with a current installation. Any ideas?
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Kloen wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:41 am I tried the daily builds and the main build ARM64v8a - they all came back with the message that it wasn't installed, because it is in conflict with a current installation. Any ideas?
Hmm, that would happen if the new debug (development) build is not signed with the same debug key as the old one you got. If you didn't build the old one on your own, and got it from our buildbot dailies, then this means that at some point we updated ScummVM's debug signing key -- this needs to happen on occasion because those can expire, or we updated the whole toolchain and build system (which did happen at least once when we moved to dockerized buildbot).

If that's the case, I'm afraid the other options is to get a backup of saved games and current configuration (for your added games), uninstall the existing installation and install a new build.

As I said, upgrading between stable (release) builds and development (debug) builds will not work (ever) without uninstalling.

However, if you are starting anew, and don't want to go through potential backup/restore process or loss of configuration etc, it would be best to go with release build (2.5.0 on Play Store or 2.5.1 from ScummVM downloads page). Release builds use a signing key that's unlikely to expire anytime soon.
Kloen

Post by Kloen »

Thank you. I'll give it a whirl
Kloen

Post by Kloen »

I discovered the possibility of cloud connection. Now all is well in the state of Denmark

Thank you so much!
Attachments
Screenshot_20220125-173633.png
Screenshot_20220125-173633.png (191.89 KiB) Viewed 7362 times