Sherlock Holmes and the case of the serrated scalpel

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Subbi

Sherlock Holmes and the case of the serrated scalpel

Post by Subbi »

I've just run this game on the latest scummvm and noticed that the introduction is playing very slowly, right after the logo.
This did not use to be the case in an earlier scummvm version (don't remember which one I used prior).

Could this be related to a particular setting I should tweak?

Thanks much
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Re: Sherlock Holmes and the case of the serrated scalpel

Post by dreammaster »

This is probably related to this bug that was identified and already fixed in daily builds
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

To elaborate a bit, the bug unfortunately went unnoticed in pre-2.5.1 because it only affected versions that use compressed data files. Of the two English copies I own of the game, only one actually offer the option to install compressed files.

So if you have a version that offers the larger install, you could try using those files instead. If it doesn't, I'm afraid the daily build is your best option. The slowdown was introduced when fixing a crash bug that happens a short way into the game. If there ever is a 2.5.2, the fix will be there but I don't know of any such plans at the moment.
Subbi

Post by Subbi »

My version is 27,7 MB. I don't know if that is the large or small install version. I've saved the files +20 years ago, not sure what install this was.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Subbi wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:18 pm My version is 27,7 MB. I don't know if that is the large or small install version. I've saved the files +20 years ago, not sure what install this was.
That's odd, my large install is about 28 MB while my small one is 13 MB. I have no idea why a large installation would run slow. Still, could you try with a nightly build to see if it fixes the slowdown for you?
Subbi

Post by Subbi »

I could, but I was under the impression that installing a daily build would overwrite the official 2.5.1 version and it come with some risks, so generally I'd rather stick with the official builds.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Subbi wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:23 pm I could, but I was under the impression that installing a daily build would overwrite the official 2.5.1 version and it come with some risks, so generally I'd rather stick with the official builds.
If you're on Windows, at least, you could download the zip file for the daily build, column: ScummVM latest
Branch master, row: Windows (64 bits)(here), extract it in a folder and launch ScummVM from there. It's mostly portable (it will use your existing configuration file so it will have your games already added) and won't overwrite your main installation of ScummVM.