Dreamfall TLJ: ScummVM can't find the game in the folder

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Kalogay

Dreamfall TLJ: ScummVM can't find the game in the folder

Post by Kalogay »

I have the latest daily build of ScummVM and the GOG version of the game.

When I try to add the game it just says it can't find any game.

I googled it many times but I couldn't solve my issue with that.

What should I do? It's exactly the same with ResidualVM...

thanks
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Dreamfall TLJ: ScummVM can't find the game in the folder

Post by Praetorian »

Kalogay wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:17 pm I have the latest daily build of ScummVM and the GOG version of the game.

thanks
Hello! "Dreamfall" is not supported by ScummVM. Only the first game, "The Longest Journey", is supported.
Kalogay

Post by Kalogay »

Praetorian wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:03 pm
Kalogay wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:17 pm I have the latest daily build of ScummVM and the GOG version of the game.

thanks
Hello! "Dreamfall" is not supported by ScummVM. Only the first game, "The Longest Journey", is supported.
Thanks. What about Dreamfall? I want to install the HD mod. ResidualVM doesn't work with it either...
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Kalogay wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:10 pm
Praetorian wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:03 pm

thanks
Thanks. What about Dreamfall? I want to install the HD mod. ResidualVM doesn't work with it either...
I already wrote above that Dreamfall is not supported by ScummVM.

The Longest Journey (this game) is supported. The latest daily (2.6.0git) you are using should be able to detect it. Just install the game with the GOG installer, then, from the ScummVM launcher choose "Add Game..." and point to the folder where the game was installed. Don't worry if the folder appears in ScummVM's browser as empty, this is normal for some Operating Systems (including Windows).Just click ok and ScummVM should detect it properly.

To install the HD mod you need to follow its instructions as detailed on its own web page. Just use ScummVM instead of ResidualVM since the projects have been merged and they continue united into ScummVM.

I am not sure about this, but just to be safe, if you added the vanilla game to ScummVM already, and then installed the HD mode, you may have to remove from ScummVM the entry for the vanilla game and re-detect it and add it.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

@Preatorian

Is Dreamfall based on the same engine as TLJ?
Are there chances for it to be included without completely REing it?
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Raziel wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:14 am @Preatorian

Dreamfall has a completely different control system than TLJ-- it's 3d space navigation with a weird way of inspecting and interacting with items/characters (a focus "beam" that can rotate around the player character), so my guess is that it's a very different engine that would require a lot of work to be added to ScummVM
Someone who worked on the Stark engine could confirm for certain, but I don't think Dreamfall is even based on a continuation, ie. advanced revision, of Stark.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Raziel wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:14 am @Preatorian

At least according to Wikipedia, the engine for The Longest Journey was developed in-house while the engine for Dreamfall ("Shark 3D") was licensed from another company. Even if that wasn't the case, The Longest Journey appears to be 3D models on pre-rendered backgrounds while Dreamfall appears to be fully 3D.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Thank you :-)
chrisis

Post by chrisis »

I'm also 99.9% sure that Dreamfall uses a completely different engine than TLJ - it's a completely 3D engine while TLJ uses 3D models on pre-rendered backgrounds (similar to Grim Fandango).

I doubt that any code from TLJ was reused, the best bet to get it to run on modern machines (if it doesn't run outright) is probably something like dgVoodoo http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2/ (I don't have the gog version of Dreamfall though, they might even pack this in for compatibility reasons)
The Steam version runs mostly fine on my Windows machine (though dgVoodo helps too for problematic machines), and it also works through Proton on Linux (and likely stock Wine), the resolution can be scaled up to 4k without troubles too.

Also then going to the last game in the series, Dreamfall Chapters - it's also fully 3D, this was created with Unity as as the engine, though at least it has a native Linux port) and should run reasonably well on current, modern machines anyway.