Question about Broken Sword 1..

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Arik

Question about Broken Sword 1..

Post by Arik »

Hi
I'm currently playing BS1 with ScummVM, now I'm in the part where George got back to paris, finds the Templer people and the secret writing on the floor, the village's name in Syria. Then, When I go to the world map - I can go on both Spain and Syria!
Is that how it's supposed to be? I thought there's a specific way to go through the game - doesn't it matter where I'm going first?

Thanks
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Question about Broken Sword 1..

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Arik wrote:Hi
I'm currently playing BS1 with ScummVM, now I'm in the part where George got back to paris, finds the Templer people and the secret writing on the floor, the village's name in Syria. Then, When I go to the world map - I can go on both Spain and Syria!
Is that how it's supposed to be? I thought there's a specific way to go through the game - doesn't it matter where I'm going first?

Thanks
I never played the game with the original interpreter, but that's how it was when I played it in ScummVM. There's nothing in Syria that you need in Spain, and nothing in Spain that you need in Syria.

It's quite common for adventures to allow you to do things in different order. Some even offer several different, mutually exclusive, paths through the story.
Herrscher

Post by Herrscher »

Pretty sure this was in the original also.

BS2 was way more linear IIRC (and shorter and more worse ;). :idea:
Arik

Post by Arik »

Thanks!
I know some adventure games have several ways to complete, but for some reason it looked a bit strange to me..
Arik

Post by Arik »

Well, another question.
Now I'm in Syria, after speaking to the characters and the taxi driver, I'm trying to get some money. I've seen in a hints site that I should pet the cat and then press the bell, but that just doesn't work.
The cat is up on the shelf, I press the bell, the father comes out and back in, and the cat jumps off after a while.
Is that how it's supposed to be, or am I missing something?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Arik wrote:Well, another question.
Now I'm in Syria, after speaking to the characters and the taxi driver, I'm trying to get some money. I've seen in a hints site that I should pet the cat and then press the bell, but that just doesn't work.
The cat is up on the shelf, I press the bell, the father comes out and back in, and the cat jumps off after a while.
Is that how it's supposed to be, or am I missing something?
There's one other thing which you don't mention, so I assume that's what is missing. I don't want to give away too much, but when I played through that part of the game just now, I couldn't solve that puzzle until after I had found the key to the toilet.

(The puzzles are not really related, but solving one seemed to trigger an event necessary for solving the second. Probably so Ultar won't leave the room until after he has translated the sign on the door for you.)
Vegan

Post by Vegan »

Actually there is a nasty bug related to this.

The Syria/Spain Glitch

The Syria/Spain glitch occurs when you go to Spain before Syria. This is the glitch that happened to me. Because I hadn�t gone through the events for Syria to pop up on the Europe map but I had done what was necessary for Spain to, I simply decided to go to Spain first. Big mistake. After you get the chalice from the Countess, the priest will NOT be in the church to clean it off for you. Because he isn�t here, you will have to either restart your game or load a save where you hadn�t gone to Spain yet.
Whomper

Post by Whomper »

I thought the Syria/Spain glitch only occurred in the GBA version?
sasa89

Post by sasa89 »

Herrscher wrote:Pretty sure this was in the original also.
yes it was like this in the original...!! :wink:

but i remember that the boy in syria (his name was Nero or something like this) never took the red ball from me...!?
so i couldn't play further :?
Vegan

Post by Vegan »

Whomper wrote:I thought the Syria/Spain glitch only occurred in the GBA version?
Unfortunately, I can very much confirm that it's also in the PC version. :(
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Vegan wrote:Unfortunately, I can very much confirm that it's also in the PC version. :(
First time I ever heard of it. I wish people would file bug reports about these things. Might be possible to work around it, if we knew how to trigger it.

I'm not very familiar with the Broken Sword 1 engine, but I know it works around a couple of bugs from the original already. I've added a few workarounds to Broken Sword 2 myself, including one for the infamous "Pyramid Bug".
Kroc

Post by Kroc »

Thanks for the heads up! I'm in the exact same situation! Thankfully, I saved just before I went to spain and know what to do now.

Can't ScummVM patch this bug as it's quite a doozy?
clem

Post by clem »

Kroc wrote:Thanks for the heads up! I'm in the exact same situation! Thankfully, I saved just before I went to spain and know what to do now.

Can't ScummVM patch this bug as it's quite a doozy?
ummmm:
eriktorbjorn wrote: I wish people would file bug reports about these things. Might be possible to work around it, if we knew how to trigger it.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Vegan wrote:I simply decided to go to Spain first. Big mistake. After you get the chalice from the Countess, the priest will NOT be in the church to clean it off for you. Because he isn't here, you will have to either restart your game or load a save where you hadn't gone to Spain yet.
Are you sure? I tried a savegame like that, and once I got back from Syria (where I didn't go until after getting the chalice), the priest was there.