Myst ME and in-game aspect ratio

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

vanfanel

Myst ME and in-game aspect ratio

Post by vanfanel »

Hi there,

On Myst ME, I have notice that videos are, in fact, 4:3.
But gameplay seems to be something like 16:10, which doesn't seem logical for a game released in 1999...
The "aspec ratio correction" option can't be activated when editing the game's option on Scummvm menu, so... what's with this game's aspect ratio?
Anybody knows?

Thanks!
rootfather
ScummVM Lead

Re: Myst ME and in-game aspect ratio

Post by rootfather »

In-game, Myst uses a pretty non-standard resolution of 544x332. This explains why the game appears to be in something like 16:10.

Back in the old days, the game had very large black bars around the images, so it wasn't even capable of using a standard resolution like 640x480.

The aspect ratio correction is mostly meant for fixing up usual resolutions like 640x400 -> 640x480 and 320x200 -> 320x240. In Myst, the screen is always showing up in the correct aspect ration, just with less borders around it when you play it on a widescreen display.
vanfanel

Post by vanfanel »

rootfather wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:26 pm In-game, Myst uses a pretty non-standard resolution of 544x332. This explains why the game appears to be in something like 16:10.

Back in the old days, the game had very large black bars around the images, so it wasn't even capable of using a standard resolution like 640x480.

The aspect ratio correction is mostly meant for fixing up usual resolutions like 640x400 -> 640x480 and 320x200 -> 320x240. In Myst, the screen is always showing up in the correct aspect ration, just with less borders around it when you play it on a widescreen display.
Thanks for such a great explanation!

So, in the old days, the game had upper/lower and left/right black bars, or only upper/lower bars?

I can't find any pictures of how it actually looked like originally...
rootfather
ScummVM Lead

Post by rootfather »

Yes, Myst had a black board around all four sides of the images.

I quickly fired up Myst ME in a Windows XP VM - this is how it looks like on a simulated 640x480 screen and the original aspect ratio. Note that the game always sets the window size to 640x480, so even if you had a widescreen display back then, you wouldn't get around the black bars.

The same applies to the original Myst edition, but I currently don't have an emulated system that can run the game. That version runs at the exact same window dimensions, but with a decreased color depth.
Attachments
Myst ME (with borders).png
Myst ME (with borders).png (262.97 KiB) Viewed 1970 times
vanfanel

Post by vanfanel »

@rootfather

Thanks a lot for the image! Now I see it clearly!
8)

Mistery solved (for me at least.. it seems you knew already).