Fixing the MONKEY1-EGA crashes from the Limited Run Games set

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Tsomi

Fixing the MONKEY1-EGA crashes from the Limited Run Games set

Post by Tsomi »

Hi,

If you've bought the Monkey Island 30th Anniversary Anthology from Limited Run Games, you'll notice that its USB stick contains some "retro" floppy version of Monkey Island 1 and Monkey Island 2 (e.g. EGA, Macintosh, Atari variants).

Unfortunately, it appears that the mi1_disk4.img disk image is corrupted for the 5.25" EGA version of The Secret of Monkey Island. The game would crash with a fatal error regarding Room 85, when trying to explore the Mêlée Island map. The crash happens with ScummVM and with DOSBox (only with this EGA version).

The invalid files are actually DISK04.LEC and 903.LFL, corrupting the Mêlée Island map, the Mêlée Island docks, and the upside-down font joke in the Circus (as far as I can say).

Fortunately, Limited Run Games also included some "Flux Streams" made with KryoFlux (which is, basically, a much more reliable way of dumping 30-year-old floppy disks), on the same USB stick. It appears that you can recover a functional "Disk 4" with them, fixing your DISK04.LEC and 903.LFL files.

So, I've set up a small guide to help you recover those files:
https://dwatteau.github.io/scummfixes/c ... games.html (feel free to mention it on Reddit/forum posts reporting a crash in the Limited Run Games version of MONKEY1-EGA)

Note that it requires a bit of technical knowledge in command-line prompts.

Of course, I'm not going to redistribute those "fixed" files to anyone, since they're still copyrighted. But I hope that this guide may help you having a functional game, since you've bought it and since Limited Run Games provided an alternative format from which it can be recovered.

(This issue has also been reported to the Limited Run Games support, but I don't know how they're going to address this.)

Cheers
Telev

Re: Fixing the MONKEY1-EGA crashes from the Limited Run Games set

Post by Telev »

The rebuild of the image work great
Thanks for the tutorial
MusicallyInspired

Re: Fixing the MONKEY1-EGA crashes from the Limited Run Games set

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I had no idea LRG went so all out on this collection. I really wish more than ever that I had bought it now.