SOLVED: How fast for you Grim Fandango + Monkey Engine & Longest Journey on any hardware but not x86/x64 ?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

kas1e

SOLVED: How fast for you Grim Fandango + Monkey Engine & Longest Journey on any hardware but not x86/x64 ?

Post by kas1e »

@All
Have some kind of weird question, which I hope many of you can help with.

The issue I have now is with the PowerPC/AmigaOS4 (so Big Endian) build of ScummVM (2.5.0 and latest today's daily build) I have _VERY_ bad FPS with the games such as Escape From Monkey Island and even worse with "The Longest Journey". Grim Fandango is also far from being super fast, but still OK.

There is what i have (right at the beginning of the actual gameplay) (fps can be enabled in options of the first 2 games)

Grim Fandango: 40 FPS
Escape from Monkey Island: 10 FPS
The Longest Journey: unplayable, I think 2-3 fps (there are no options to show fps but visually just 2-3).

See that on this video:

GRiM: https://youtu.be/KiDJ3ox51lU?t=109
Escape from Monkey Island: https://youtu.be/KiDJ3ox51lU?t=149
The Longest Journey: https://youtu.be/KiDJ3ox51lU?t=172

We need to take into account that my hardware is 2.0 GHZ CPU + modern enough gfx boards (Radeon RX 560) + more or less good 3D drivers (prove good fps in OpenGL ports). Also, other ScummVM based "big" games such as Nightlong, Myst3, Sanitarium, Blade Runner, Sword2.5, Neverhood, etc, all work fast enough (so that is not a general issue with ScummVM).

I tested the same games on my win10 / x64 on Core5- 7200 2.5ghz + some inbuild AMD gfx and their FPS is really good:

Grim Fandango: 320 FPS
Escape from Monkey Island: 500 FPS
The Longest Journey: all good plays well.

So there is something definitely wrong. Of course, my CPU and motherboard are on the level of ~2005 year but it shouldn't be like this.

I also noticed that on win32 GRIM actually slower than Monkey but on my side now GRiM is 3 times faster.

Welcome anyone who can bring some test of all kinds of exotic hardware etc.
Last edited by kas1e on Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: How fast for you Grim Fandango + Monkey Engine & Longest Journey on any hardware but not x86/x64 ?

Post by Praetorian »

Did you try with different values for the 3d renderer options under the "Edit game..." -> "Graphics" tab for the game? (Check the checkbox for "Override global graphics settings" first!)

You can also set different values for antialiasing, toggle V-synch, select another graphics mode (if both OpenGL and SDL Surface are supported).

Do any of these result in performance improvements?

I'd recommend testing with a development build, since those include fixes and improvements since the last stable 2.5.0 release, although keep in mind that those are debug builds and thus will probably not be optimal performance-wise.
kas1e

Re: How fast for you Grim Fandango + Monkey Engine & Longest Journey on any hardware but not x86/x64 ?

Post by kas1e »

Did you try with different values for the 3d renderer options under the "Edit game..." -> "Graphics" tab for the game? (Check the checkbox for "Override global graphics settings" first!)
Yes of course tried all possible versions with disabling everything and testing software/OpenGL modes. The difference is that in software mode it is even worse :) Monkey gives then 7 fps (which is not that far from 10 with OpenGL too).
You can also set different values for antialiasing, toggle V-synch, select another graphics mode (if both OpenGL and SDL Surface are supported).
Yep tried to enable/disable everything.
Do any of these results in performance improvements?
nope, the only difference when switching to software mode is that games start to be even worse )
I'd recommend testing with a development build, since those include fixes and improvements since the last stable 2.5.0 release, although keep in mind that those are debugged builds and thus will probably not be optimal performance-wise.
Yes, I test now with daily builds indeed. all looks like indeed optimization fully turned off or something. or debug enabled which slow things down much.

Checked how scummvm builds on my side and don't see any -O enabled but instead -g/-gstabs so probably for the first need to try to use -O3 with removing debug. Maybe that will be enough already. Thanks for the pointer.

EDIT: aha found, should be --disable-debug --enable-release , checking now.
kas1e

Post by kas1e »

Ok, that was it! Once I do --disable-debug --enable-release i have those values:

Monkey: 75 FPS
Grim: 50 FPS
The Longest Journey: all fast!

Of course, that is not 500 for monkey and 300 for grim on a PC machine, but at least now it is on the level as expected to be more or less.

Sorry for bother :)