No SDL surface option

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Aidor

No SDL surface option

Post by Aidor »

Hi,

First of all, many thanks to all the people who work in this program, it's just great.

My issue is that yesterday I updated Scummvm in my phone (Android 9), and there is no SDL surface option in graphic mode, I only can choose opengld. The main problem with that is that there are no scale options with opengl. I'm not sure which version I had installed before updating (I guess the previous one, 2.2.1), and I think that I could choose scale options with that version. But I uninstalled 2.5.0, installed 2.2.1, and I see that I have the same issue: I only can choose opengl, and there is any scale option.

Why I can choose SDL surface? Maybe I must install some 'SDL plugin' or something like that?

Thanks in advance.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: No SDL surface option

Post by Praetorian »

Aidor wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:22 am Hi,

First of all, many thanks to all the people who work in this program, it's just great.

My issue is that yesterday I updated Scummvm in my phone (Android 9), and there is no SDL surface option in graphic mode, I only can choose opengld. The main problem with that is that there are no scale options with opengl. I'm not sure which version I had installed before updating (I guess the previous one, 2.2.1), and I think that I could choose scale options with that version. But I uninstalled 2.5.0, installed 2.2.1, and I see that I have the same issue: I only can choose opengl, and there is any scale option.

Why I can choose SDL surface? Maybe I must install some 'SDL plugin' or something like that?

Thanks in advance.
Hello,

The Android port is OpenGL only. There are scaling options for the GUI, but they are under the "Options"->"Misc" tab -> "GUI Scale" dropdown menu.

The SDL Scaler options (AdvMame, HQ, SuperSAI, SuperEagle etc) have not yet been implemented for OpenGL mode -- there's some old work done towards that, but more is needed. We don't have an ETA for this; it's possible that it will be implemented in the future and we're open to code contributions (via Pull Requests) from anyone with spare time and the know-how to do the task.

We did have an old version of ScummVM (2.0.0) based on SDL 1 (a "hacked" version of it), but that version was hard to maintain and also had existing conflicts with third party libraries needed for some ScummVM features and engines, and so it's no longer supported.
Aidor

Post by Aidor »

Praetorian wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:18 am
Hello,

The Android port is OpenGL only. There are scaling options for the GUI, but they are under the "Options"->"Misc" tab -> "GUI Scale" dropdown menu.

The SDL Scaler options (AdvMame, HQ, SuperSAI, SuperEagle etc) have not yet been implemented for OpenGL mode -- there's some old work done towards that, but more is needed. We don't have an ETA for this; it's possible that it will be implemented in the future and we're open to code contributions (via Pull Requests) from anyone with spare time and the know-how to do the task.

We did have an old version of ScummVM (2.0.0) based on SDL 1 (a "hacked" version of it), but that version was hard to maintain and also had existing conflicts with third party libraries needed for some ScummVM features and engines, and so it's no longer supported.
Oh, I see. Didn't know that Android version was opengl only. That explains everything. I thought I had installed the previous version (2.2.1), because I usually update my apps, but I guess It was 2.0.0, because it had those scale options (SuperSAI, SuperEagle etc).

Yeah, I saw that GUI scale, but that doesn't improve in-game image quality, obviously. I hope you can add those scale options to OpenGL soon.

Anyway, I will use that 2.0.0 version. As far as I mostly want to play Lucasarts graphic adventures, I guess that version it's fine for those games, isn't?

Thanks once more.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Aidor wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:50 am Anyway, I will use that 2.0.0 version. As far as I mostly want to play Lucasarts graphic adventures, I guess that version it's fine for those games, isn't?
Yes, I believe for the most part those will play without issues, at least the popular DOS/Windows versions of them.
There have been multiple bug fixes and improvements since 2.0.0, and quite a few of those are affecting the SCUMM engine (including sound system fixes, localizations and fan translations support etc.), but from what I recall people had in general positive experience playing the LucasArts classics in 2.0.0.
Aidor

Post by Aidor »

Praetorian wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:31 pm
Aidor wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:50 am Anyway, I will use that 2.0.0 version. As far as I mostly want to play Lucasarts graphic adventures, I guess that version it's fine for those games, isn't?
Yes, I believe for the most part those will play without issues, at least the popular DOS/Windows versions of them.
There have been multiple bug fixes and improvements since 2.0.0, and quite a few of those are affecting the SCUMM engine (including sound system fixes, localizations and fan translations support etc.), but from what I recall people had in general positive experience playing the LucasArts classics in 2.0.0.
Yeah, I've tested a little Monkey Island 2 and Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis, and so far I didn't see any issue or bug, and sound is fine. Well, that's all, many thanks for your help!!
ccawley2011

Post by ccawley2011 »

Praetorian wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:18 am The SDL Scaler options (AdvMame, HQ, SuperSAI, SuperEagle etc) have not yet been implemented for OpenGL mode -- there's some old work done towards that, but more is needed. We don't have an ETA for this; it's possible that it will be implemented in the future and we're open to code contributions (via Pull Requests) from anyone with spare time and the know-how to do the task.
Software scalers in OpenGL mode was implemented a while ago, and it's available in nightly builds from the buildbot.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

ccawley2011 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:22 pm Software scalers in OpenGL mode was implemented a while ago, and it's available in nightly builds from the buildbot.
Indeed! Sorry I forgot about this.