Alien Incident ?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

heidi.wenger

Alien Incident ?

Post by heidi.wenger »

It has been a while since this game from Housemarque was contemplated, right. Is there a possibility to get Alien Incident supported on ScummVM? What would it take, and why is it not on the roster yet still? I think Housemarque has released for example Super Stardust as freeware. Does someone here have a contact to these guys possibly?

Much thanks in advance.

Showcase playthrough of Alien Incident: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sqF8DhvTNE
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: Alien Incident ?

Post by sev »

The source code exists, but the original authors have no time for extracting it (I imagine, it could be on old media).

Even after the sources are obtained, it will require several months for a dedicated person to perform the conversion over to ScummVM. If sources are not there, multiply the time needed by 10x-20x, e.g. couple of years easily.

Eugene
heidi.wenger

Post by heidi.wenger »

sev wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:17 pm The source code exists, but the original authors have no time for extracting it (I imagine, it could be on old media).

Even after the sources are obtained, it will require several months for a dedicated person to perform the conversion over to ScummVM. If sources are not there, multiply the time needed by 10x-20x, e.g. couple of years easily.

Eugene
OK thanks for clarification! I wonder if the developers could actually be reached about this. So many games are sort of abandoned nowadays :roll:
invwar

Post by invwar »

Alien Incident was created by Housemarque, who are now belonging to Sony. Not sure about their old trademarks, but I would assume that at least the code legally belongs now to them. Based on sevs quite detailed answer, they were in contact with them, but likely before they were bought by Sony (it was back then still quite recent) and now likely you have to pass Sony lawyers first before you get anything, if it still exist. Could be of course easier, I would recommend to try yourself contacting likely Mikko Miettinen (main responsible person by lack of Game Director back then) or Harri Tikkanen (still at Housemarque as Creative Director).
GateKeeper

Post by GateKeeper »

I am only guessing here, but it is possible that the rights are owned by more than one company.

When "Alien Incident" was released, there was also a different version of it called "Muukalaisten yö", an extremely rare Finnish-language version of the game. They were released by different publishers back then, I think.

I have no idea who owns either one of them these days, but as they obviously share most of the source code, it can be guessed that releasing any source code would have to be approved by (at least) two different companies.