Discworld: Failed to query the CD TOC: 21

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

crazy_achmed

Discworld: Failed to query the CD TOC: 21

Post by crazy_achmed »

Hi,
I am trying to run my german Discworld CD-Version, but when starting the game i get the following error in the console after the psygnosis intro (not the game intro):
Failed to query the CD TOC: 21

I tried both: 1. copying all file from my CD (both directories) to a fresh emtpy directory on my hard disc and 2. only copying the files mentioned here: https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php?title=Discworld

I am pretty sure I got this working a few years ago, but on linux. Currently I am running Windows 10 and using ScummVM 2.5.0 stable
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Discworld: Failed to query the CD TOC: 21

Post by eriktorbjorn »

crazy_achmed wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:36 am I am pretty sure I got this working a few years ago, but on linux. Currently I am running Windows 10 and using ScummVM 2.5.0 stable
From a quick look, the error message appears to be specific to the Windows version of ScummVM. Discworld 1 piggybacks on the "play CD audio track" feature to make it possible to replace the game's music. And while the game engine tells it that there isn't actually a CD to play from, only audio files, it's apparently still trying to open the CD drive and read the table of contets (TOC) from the CD? I think error code 21 means "device not ready", which for all I know could mean that your computer has no CD drive.

Since I'm running Linux, and my computer does have a CD drive, it's hard to me to debug this any further.

One thing that might be possible is to open the scummvm.ini file (you may want to make a backup copy of it first), look at the [scummvm] section (probably at the top of the file) and see if there's any line there that looks like cdrom=something. If there isn't, add one. Then make sure that it says cdrom=-1.

If I understand correctly, that should keep it from trying to access the CD drive. But that's just a guess. If this is the problem, it seems there should be a more user-friendly way of doing this...
crazy_achmed

Post by crazy_achmed »

At first, thank you. But i have to admin, that i was a bit premature. The change to the scummvm.ini did removed the error message from the console, but i still got stuck on a black screen after the psygnosis intro. That is where i noticed, that multiple ESC presses made the game to advance to the starting credits first and then to the main menu afterwards.

I also removed the entry from the scummvm.ini again and got the same results. So the change is not realy needed, i was just confused as the game did not progres as expected.

But FYI: my pc has a CD/DVD drive
invwar

Post by invwar »

I can't reproduce it with my Game files (German Neon Edition). Not sure whats wrong, I would suggest to copy all files again, maybe you missed one file? Anyway, you could also try using James Woodcocks Soundtrack, which is also supported by ScummVM, as the issue seems to be related to Audio Tracks (also when I can't remember, that there was CD Audio)