Can “Malcolm’s Revenge” be made unbeatable?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

SnowB88

Can “Malcolm’s Revenge” be made unbeatable?

Post by SnowB88 »

For years, I’ve believed Kyrandia 3 was designed with failsafes like the second game in order to prevent it from becoming unbeatable. However, there are a few potential trouble spots during the ending night levels that I have yet to find solutions for:

1. In the Gunther-only route, where you have to acquire a portal potion from Darm and Brandywine in order to return to the Isle of Cats, Malcolm can drink it before reaching the launching spot if you accidentally click it on him. Unfortunately, once Malcolm gets the potion, Darm and Brandywine seem to become locked on the “there’s nothing more we can give you” dialogue. Even attempting to give Brandywine another squirrel for a replacement potion won’t bypass this. Does a new potion spawn elsewhere if this happens? If so, I’ve yet to find it.

2. After you return with the jewels, it’s possible to trade all six of them to Herman at the pawn shop before showing any to the pirates. The captain will not accept the fish collar, which progresses the plot, until he’s seen at least one of the jewels. Yes, you have to go out of your way to do this, but the game does allow it to happen. I’ve looked, but none of the gems seem to respawn after Herman takes them. Is this a dead-end or is there an alternative I’ve missed?

3. Relating to both of the above points, you have to give Herman a gem for the crutch in the Gunther-only route. As far as I remember, it’s the only means of repairing the fish cream machine in this path, as Gunther won’t let Malcolm give any of the mice cheese in order to restore their human forms. The parlour jerk can’t fix the machine if he remains a mouse. What if, even if you progressed with the pirates, you traded all six gems for items other than the crutch? Does the game generate another way of obtaining it?

I realise that, technically, you can use the debug feature to inject any lost items back into your inventory, but that’s not an offical in-game solution. Any Kyrandia devotees out there who might know the answer to these? Thank you in advance.