Help with ScummVM & PSP

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Conroy Bumpus

Help with ScummVM & PSP

Post by Conroy Bumpus »

Hi,

I'm new to these forums and I'm having some trouble with putting ScummVM onto my PSP and the games and files.

I've been trying to do it myself and looking at the readmes and several websites but I'm not understanding what I need to do. My PSP system version is 2.01 if thats any help to anyone and here are some questions I need to know about

1. When you download the PSP package from this website what do you do next I'm lost and unsure what to do with those folders in the zip package.

2. I once got ScummVM to appear while playing around but when I start it, it says the game is corrupt how do I get around this to make the main menu appear.

3. When you say the "necessary files to run a game" what files are you talking about your not being clear on this

4. I read somewhere you have free .dat files for ScummVM on PSP on your website but I can't see tham anywhere.

and finally

5. Is their any software i could use that will work on my 2.01 or are they only for the lower system versions

Any help would be appreciated or if some knows where I can find a step by step (With Screenshots if possible) that would be great too.

Thanks
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

As far as I know the only way to run homebrew (that includes ScummVM) on a 2.01 firmware PSP is via the GTA exploit (obviously you need the game for this) and an EBOOT loader, which you can find here: http://www.noobz.eu/

A list of "necessary files for running a game" can be found here: http://www.scummvm.org/documentation.php?view=datafiles - this includes links to the required "DAT" files (if applicable).
Conroy Bumpus

Post by Conroy Bumpus »

Thanks,

I have the GTA UMD, I've installed ELoader 0.97,

Now what next where do I go from here?

What do you do with those EBoot files in the ScummVM .zip file?

BTW, thanks for the link to show the .dat files
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

I suppose you launch the EBOOT from the 1.00 archive (no reason to use the 1.50 ones on a non 1.50 firmware PSP) with the eboot loader. How? I don't know, I've never used it. But I suppose it comes with some documentation...
Conroy Bumpus

Post by Conroy Bumpus »

Ok I'm getting further now,

I've extracted the EBoot files to my PSP, loaded GTA, loaded ELoader from the Load Game option and Now I have ScummVM working.

The only think left now is to add a game.

I'm about to test it with Monkey Island 1, I just need to know, Where do I need to put Monkey.000 and Monkey.001 files?

Do they need to go into the GAME folder or anywhere on the PSP.

Also Its the CD-ROM version so I would also need to transfer the sound files in order to get Music & SFX but which ones are they?
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

Both questions can be answered by reading README.PSP

The location of the files doesn't matter, just make sure they're in the same directory.
For the CD version of MI you'll need to rip the audiotracks on the CD to ogg vorbis or mp3 and name them properly. Again, see README and README.PSP
Conroy Bumpus

Post by Conroy Bumpus »

Thanks,

I read the Readme to rip the audiotracks but not understanding how do I go about doing it. Do I need specific software to do it or are their any tools for ScummVM?

Which other games need to be rip because most of them have the MONSTER.sou file or are they okay as they are?

Any help you suggest is appreciated

EDIT: I just was about to rip the sound when I noticed that all the music files (all 23 tracks) are already Mp3 files I could just copy them to the same directory as the game then can't I?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Conroy Bumpus wrote:EDIT: I just was about to rip the sound when I noticed that all the music files (all 23 tracks) are already Mp3 files I could just copy them to the same directory as the game then can't I?
Which gracefully shows that you're using a pirated copy of the game, and will get no further support here. See Forum Rule #0 and Copyright FAQ on our Wiki.

Eugene
Conroy Bumpus

Post by Conroy Bumpus »

Hang On!!!

My copy is the Monkey Island Bounty Pack version its not a pirate copy at all. The disc has LeChuck on the front if you want proof I just explored the CD and all the files on MI 1 were in Mp3.
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

I doubt they're mp3 files on the CD already. Maybe whatever program you use to browse the CD shows them as 'mp3s', but they're really audio tracks that get converted on the fly if you copy them (I know konqueror can do this). Or maybe the 'cdda' filetype is associated with the same media player that's used to play mp3s so you might confuse them for mp3s when they're really not.

Anyway, to answer your question, there are no tools included in ScummVM for this as there are already zillions out there for about every platform.
On linux I use cdparanoia (command-line), I heard CDex is a good/free one on Windows.

Be sure to (re)name the tracks as outlined in the README for them to work properly in ScummVM.
Conroy Bumpus

Post by Conroy Bumpus »

How do I convert MONSTER.SOU files so you can hear both music and sounds.

I've done it with LAME to convert to Mp3 but can't get the voices to work on some of the other games what else do I need to do?