Having troubles with "Monkey Island" translation

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Post Reply
Delusional_moonlight
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat May 22, 2021 3:30 pm

Having troubles with "Monkey Island" translation

Post by Delusional_moonlight »

Our team is currently translating the original "The secret of Monkey Island" into Russian, but we've stumbled upon troubles with graphics.
All soft we've found (BMRP.exe, for example) can encode only VGA-images of objects, while ignoring EGA-versions and breaking the pallete in Amiga-versions. (the screencap is below, it encodes it wrong even if we paint the logo right manually)
Now we've already finished text translation in demo-version (our goal is to cover all possible versions), so, please, we need help with de/encoding the images (backgrounds and objects) from and to EGA-versions and Amiga-VGA. According to wiki-page, this game works with scumm v4.
Thanks in advance
Attachments
screencap of Amiga-version
screencap of Amiga-version
image.png (50.54 KiB) Viewed 221 times
rzil
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:56 pm

Re: Having troubles with "Monkey Island" translation

Post by rzil »

I don't think the problem is with the encoding tool,
but rather it might be the image editor.
try using "Graphics Gale" as it does not do palette optimization like most image editors (GIMP)

(written from my experience translating this game to hebrew, also had some backgrounds turning green because of palette mismatch at first)
Delusional_moonlight
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat May 22, 2021 3:30 pm

Re: Having troubles with "Monkey Island" translation

Post by Delusional_moonlight »

rzil wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:52 am I don't think the problem is with the encoding tool,
but rather it might be the image editor.
try using "Graphics Gale" as it does not do palette optimization like most image editors (GIMP)

(written from my experience translating this game to hebrew, also had some backgrounds turning green because of palette mismatch at first)
I thought I was mistaken this way, but I've tried a few tests yesterday changing the PA-file in game folder.
So, the issues:
1. This tool extracts this image already green, I think, it interprets PA-file wrong
2. It doesn't matter, what colour I use on image, it encrypts it green (I've changed letters into red, but during the test it showed me green ones)
3. OI takes its color from PA, and before changing letters are of regular colour, but after... See below
So I think the palette is just implemented inside of this tool, or something wrong with its interpretation.
Attachments
Before encoding with scrambled palette
Before encoding with scrambled palette
Mhf45YMueVE.jpg (141.4 KiB) Viewed 150 times
After encoding with scrambled palette
After encoding with scrambled palette
tbnDRcMfwzc.jpg (164.57 KiB) Viewed 150 times
Delusional_moonlight
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat May 22, 2021 3:30 pm

Re: Having troubles with "Monkey Island" translation

Post by Delusional_moonlight »

Ok, after a pair of hours of studying the otput picture in Photoshop and Hex-editor I've managed to fix the colours in the Amiga-version. So I've finished the demo and started working on the full-vga versions (including Amiga and sega-CD). But I still couldn't edit graphics from EGA-versions (they are perfectly extracted with Lucas ripper). So, please, it would be of a great help if anybody solve this difficult SCUMM v4 - object-and-backgrounds encryption.
Attachments
Amiga-version of Demo. Colours restored.
Amiga-version of Demo. Colours restored.
scummvm-monkey-vga-00001.png (21.53 KiB) Viewed 89 times
Post Reply