A merger

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sev
ScummVM Lead

A merger

Post by sev »

“Sorry for the wait Mr. Flores, I’m ready to take you now”– Grim Fandango.

Today is a special day, special in a number of ways. First of all, we hit a milestone with 19 years of ScummVM. Our first-ever public release, ScummVM version 0.0.1, happened on October 8th, 2001. And second, something else finally happened, something which has been in the talks for a long time: The ScummVM project is officially merging with the ResidualVM project.

For a long time ScummVM limited itself to 2D point-and-click adventure games, and so ResidualVM was born as a sister project to support 3D games. But from now on, there will be no more confusion about which project a game belongs to. ScummVM now embraces adventure games and RPGs, whether they are 2D or 3D, point-and-click or not. It is a natural step for both projects which have been developed alongside each other and cross-pollinating each other with ideas, patches and design decisions. Moreover, several developers belonged to both projects.

With this merger, ScummVM adds several games to our supported list: Grim Fandango, Escape from Monkey Island, Myst III - Exile, The Longest Journey and an unfinished engine for In Cold Blood, as well as Wintermute 3D engine.

We’re excited to embrace most of the ResidualVM team and will continue development together.

Of course, there are still more things to do and, in the coming weeks, you will see more project resources merging like forums, wikis, etc.

Stay tuned and go 3D!
MusicallyInspired

Re: A merger

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Great! Looking forward to playing Exile on my phone! :)
guybrushfan30

Post by guybrushfan30 »

With ScummVM Merger With ResidualVM, Will Escape From Monkey Island Be Fixed? Because I Want To Play The Game With No Problem.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

This is great news! Hopefully it will bring more attention to the work of the ResidualVM team, and lead to more 3D engines being added like Discworld Noir and Broken Sword 3 and 4.
BoTToX

Post by BoTToX »

Best new of the year :D
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

Really good news this is happening. Less confusion I'm sure and it'll open up the possibilities to new games in the future :)
NLS

Post by NLS »

Good job!

Now to find all the threads asking for a merger since years ago. :D

It had to happen like MESS merged with MAME.
fluffychicken

Post by fluffychicken »

Graxer wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:04 pm This is great news! Hopefully it will bring more attention to the work of the ResidualVM team, and lead to more 3D engines being added like Discworld Noir and Broken Sword 3 and 4.
Just testing a recent nightly and it detects DiscWorld Noir (can't say it was easy to get it to see it though) thought I'd try as i had seen it in the changelogs.
So it's starting, but no idea of what the intent is
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

fluffychicken wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:20 pm Just testing a recent nightly and it detects DiscWorld Noir (can't say it was easy to get it to see it though) thought I'd try as i had seen it in the changelogs.
Well, the intent would be to eventually support playing it as well. :) Though only a few commits have been done by somaen so far, so his work is only beginning on it.
topolinik

Post by topolinik »

sev wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:59 pmOur first-ever public release, ScummVM version 0.0.1, happened on October 8th, 2001.
Oh dear, I think I downloaded a file called scummvm-0.0.2-something.deb how many years ago? I can't tell.
At that time I wasn't even able to build scummvm by myself, your application has evolved into an amazing project, now with support for 3D games, wow.
And the scummv site has changed as well.
Great news guys, keep up the good software :D
(now I will search for the right thread to keep pushing developers on asylum engine...)
fluffychicken

Post by fluffychicken »

dreammaster wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:26 pm
fluffychicken wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:20 pm Just testing a recent nightly and it detects DiscWorld Noir (can't say it was easy to get it to see it though) thought I'd try as i had seen it in the changelogs.
Well, the intent would be to eventually support playing it as well. :) Though only a few commits have been done by somaen so far, so his work is only beginning on it.
:lol: I figured that one out.