Use a Different keyboard then ScummVm's

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

tservo

Use a Different keyboard then ScummVm's

Post by tservo »

Is it possible to use a different keyboard playing scummvm android games ie: hacker keyboard. I tried Blazing Dragons but the scummvm keyboard won't do Ctrl-F5 to get the save load screen.Even with the light on ctrl. Hacker keyboard works with magic dosbox very well and I wondered if it can be used in the newest scummvm. By the way thank you for keeping the android version alive and updated.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Use a Different keyboard then ScummVm's

Post by Praetorian »

tservo wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:06 am Is it possible to use a different keyboard playing scummvm android games ie: hacker keyboard. I tried Blazing Dragons but the scummvm keyboard won't do Ctrl-F5 to get the save load screen.Even with the light on ctrl. Hacker keyboard works with magic dosbox very well and I wondered if it can be used in the newest scummvm. By the way thank you for keeping the android version alive and updated.
The Android port, by default, uses the long press of the Android system Back button (aka "AC Back") to bring up the scummvm in-game menu (officially known as Global Main Menu).

(Note, by the way, that a short press of the Back button will produce a different result, and that one is by default used as the game's "Skip" button).

If that shortcut is not suitable you can change it (or add an additional one) from the ScummVM launcher "Options..." -> Keymaps (Tab) -> and click on the shortcut for the "Global Main Menu" (it should already have "Menu" on there).

I've just tested and could add the "Ctrl+F5" with our (ScummVM) keyboard. and then bring up the GMM menu in-game using that key combination (again with the ScummVM keyboard).

It is a consideration though, to allow an option for ScummVM to use the system set keyboard rather than our own -- I just didn't have the time to further implement that (some work towards that was already done).
tservo

Re: Use a Different keyboard then ScummVm's

Post by tservo »

Wow I didn't know the Android Back Button worked as Long Press to bring up the Menu since it didn't work for me on the 2.0 ver. But now it works on this new version so it totally fixes my problem. Thanks for the solution. And making it even more convenient to use ScummVM. :D