How to properly setup Monkey Island 4 for ResidualVM?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

123iamking

How to properly setup Monkey Island 4 for ResidualVM?

Post by 123iamking »

I have successfully run Monkey Island 4 on ResidualVM and play the game for awhile, but when I enter the town in Jambalaya Island, the game crash.
Here is the details:
I follow the instruction from this page: https://wiki.residualvm.org/index.php?title=Datafiles
The following files must come from either a patched installation, or copied from the CD with one of the patches copied to that directory.

*.m4b
Movies
Textures

Note: voiceAll.m4b is repeated on both CDs. You must use the copy from the first CD as it contains all of the required voice data.

Note: Textures/FullMonkeyMap.imt on CD1 must be renamed to "FullMonkeyMap1.imt", and the FullMonkeyMap.impt from CD2 must be renamed to "FullMonkeyMap2.imt". Both files should remain in the Textures directory.
So this is exactly what I did:
1. I copy MonkeyData from CD2 first, then I rename the file FullMonkeyMap.imt to FullMonkeyMap2.imt.
2. I copy MonkeyData from CD1 overwrite existing duplicate files of CD2 (there are more than one duplicate files, but the instruction said use the copy from the first CD so I think the first CD should be more complete). Then I rename the file FullMonkeyMap.imt (of CD1) to FullMonkeyMap1.imt
3. I copy the local.m4b of CD1.
4. I copy the patch of Monkey Island from ResidualVM website.
5. I download the Daily Builds > unstable
Windows Installer (build from repository, 3827K Win32 exe file, last update: September 10, 2019, 12:43 am), then I install it on a virtual PC, then copy the installed file to my real PC and use it as portable.

here is the list of files of my Monkey Island 4 final setup:
old_LstFileResidualVM.txt

I play for awhile, then I run into the town in Jambalaya Island, the game crash.
Here is the log file: C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\ResidualVM\Logs
residualvm.log2019-11-02.txt

Is it a bug or I setup MI4 wrong?
Thanks.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
123iamking

Re: How to properly setup Monkey Island 4 for ResidualVM?

Post by 123iamking »

I use this bat file to list the files of in my MI4 folder:
DragDropListFile.bat

Code: Select all

@ECHO OFF
SET targetPath="%~1"
SET ToolPath=%~dp0

rem Set Unicode to UTF-8
chcp 65001

rem Then output file
dir %targetPath% /b /s /a-d > "%ToolPath%list.txt"
Usage: Drag drop the folder into the file DragDropListFile.bat, then the list of files is in the file list.txt which is in the same folder of DragDropListFile.bat.
Botje

Post by Botje »

This could be a data corruption issue from copying the files. Try using a checksum tool to verify the contents of your hard drive copy against your cds.
123iamking

Post by 123iamking »

Botje wrote:This could be a data corruption issue from copying the files. Try using a checksum tool to verify the contents of your hard drive copy against your cds.
I don't think it's corruption issue.
I found out that the S folder (.\Textures\mego\S) is repeated on both CDs, but the instruction doesn't tell how to deal with this.
I have tried:
Using S folder from CD1 > failed.
Using S folder from CD2 > failed.
Name S1 for S of CD1 and S2 for S of CD2 > failed.
Botje

Post by Botje »

The files are (or should be) identical, so it does not matter which copy you preserve.
It would be handy if we knew which file is causing the loading problem.
Would you happen to have a debugger at hand?
123iamking

Post by 123iamking »

Botje wrote:It would be handy if we knew which file is causing the loading problem.
Would you happen to have a debugger at hand?
Could the log file tell the problem? About debugger, I have Visual Studio.
123iamking

Post by 123iamking »

123iamking wrote: I found out that the S folder (.\Textures\mego\S) is repeated on both CDs, but the instruction doesn't tell how to deal with this.
I just got new CDs of Monkey Island 4, and the S folder in the new CDs is really identical.
The only different files are FullMonkeyMap.imt and voiceAll.m4b, just like the instruction said.
The list of files of old CDs & new CDs is a little different too.
Old CDs' list files:
old_MONKEY4_CD1.txt
old_MONKEY4_CD2.txt
New CDs' list files:
new_MONKEY4_CD1.txt
new_MONKEY4_CD2.txt
Now I understand why this guy said
Nostaligia736 wrote: what's the secrets.m4b file? That's no where in the 2 CDs.

Using the new CDs, the crash is fixed now.
123iamking

Post by 123iamking »

To sum it up here is step by step setup Monkey Island 4 for ResidualVM.
Assume you have an empty folder named MI4_Dir.
1. Use CD2,
1.1. Copy all files in folder ".\MONKEY4_CD2\Monkey4\MonkeyData" to "MI4_Dir".
1.2. In folder ".\MI4_Dir\Textures", rename FullMonkeyMap.imt to FullMonkeyMap2.imt
2. Use CD1,
2.1. Copy all files in folder ".\MONKEY4_CD1\Monkey4\MonkeyData" to "MI4_Dir", replace all.
2.2. Copy all m4b files in folder ".\MONKEY4_CD1\Monkey4\MonkeyInstall" (which are: local.m4b & patch.m4b) to "MI4_Dir".
2.2. In folder ".\MI4_Dir\Textures", rename FullMonkeyMap.imt to FullMonkeyMap1.imt.
3. Go to ResidualVM download page
3.1 Download "Original Patch v1.1 (English)" of "Escape from Monkey Island", you should have the file MonkeyUpdate.exe.
3.2 Copy the file MonkeyUpdate.exe to "MI4_Dir".
3.3 Download and Install ResidualVM, Daily Builds version (because official version of ResidualVM have not supported Monkey Island 4 yet)
3.4 Run residualvm.exe, click "Add Game..." button, then choose "MI4_Dir".
Then enjoy the game.

If you still have trouble setting up the game, check the list file of "MI4_Dir" folder: new_LstFileResidualVM.txt