PC original vs PS4/PC remastered?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Muyfa666

PC original vs PS4/PC remastered?

Post by Muyfa666 »

I played GF many times when it came out, but never got through it all.

I've been waiting for proper ResidualVM support before playing through it all.

What would represent the best way to play it now?

The PS4 version really looks good, and the revamped controls sound good to me as I never liked the tank controls.
JohnnyWalker2001

Re: PC original vs PS4/PC remastered?

Post by JohnnyWalker2001 »

Muyfa666 wrote:I played GF many times when it came out, but never got through it all.

I've been waiting for proper ResidualVM support before playing through it all.

What would represent the best way to play it now?

The PS4 version really looks good, and the revamped controls sound good to me as I never liked the tank controls.
Remastered definitely offers a better experience now. The new controls alone are probably worth it, but the better compatibility, music, and visuals are all also worth it.

It's great having the original to compare with, though, thanks to ResidualVM, but overall there's little comparison.
Muyfa666

Post by Muyfa666 »

I ended up playing the PS4 version and it's really great. :-)
Kwad_rat

Post by Kwad_rat »

I'v seen some gameplay videos and I'm glad that they added point and click interface. This makes game so much more playable. Sorry, but original tank controls almost made me mad when I played it the first time.
fischkopf

Post by fischkopf »

Dunno if anyone has seen this already but for me, this is the winner: http://vimeo.com/116657854

This guy should definitely help out the GF Deluxe guys...
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

Well, adding something like that to GF Deluxe, would press the limits of ResidualVM quite heavily I'd say, since that demo was done in the Unreal (4?) Engine, which is quite a few years more advanced than GrimE.

But hey, if someone has the guts and know-how, it could be done, although, you'd be better of building an entirely new renderer from scratch, as you'll likely want to leave the 2.5D-concept entirely behind if you were to approach it that heavily. (Which would mean that there would be very little to reuse from ResidualVM).
fischkopf

Post by fischkopf »

Yeah, impletenting that realtime 3D scene into Residual would be quite a task, i imagine. xD

My point was actually that the guy who made this could help out the GF Deluxe team by providing high res background renders, higher poly character models, etc.^^