Improving Grim ProjectÔäó

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

topolinik

Post by topolinik »

I' ve built a win32 binary of the "improvinggrrim residualvm" (enabled engine: just grim):

http://www.easybytez.com/a3m91rgrwchp

It is a single executable because all the needed libraries are built as static (SDL, madlib, freetype, etc...).
It runs flawlessly in a virtual winXP environment (in vmware player), I think it won't complain in a *real* windows box :D
giucam

Post by giucam »

Today I looked at Manny's behaviour when he bumps into a wall or into any other object.
The current ResidualVM behaviour, as the original, is to make Manny turn so that he can keep on walking, and that's it.
I modified it so that Manny still turns, but as soon as the object he bumped into is no more an obstacle he returns to the orientation he had before the collision.
This way Manny should no more walk the opposite way he should, a thing not uncommon in rooms like the Calavera Cafè.

As usual, i pushed the change to my fork, but i also built a win32 package.

Let me know what you think of it.
ramine

Post by ramine »

Giucam: does your build have the changes made by others in this thread (ex: topolinik's changes)?

Would be great to run Grim on a better, unified exe!
giucam

Post by giucam »

topolinik just made a build of my branch, so yes.

this build has the hot object label and the walking changes. It doesn't have the inventory changes because they are not modifications of ResidualVM, but of the game data.
ramine

Post by ramine »

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm currently setting up everything for my first play through of Grim ever. Hopefully your build will make it an even better experience!

Did you share how to change the game data to add the inventory changes?

One suggestion: I Just finished setting up Joy2Key. I'm planning to play on a gamepad. Would be great to have a 180 turn button, and an option to change turning speed.
Sho

Re: Improving Grim ProjectÔäó

Post by Sho »

giucam wrote: Now, that's the though part: I tried a point and click implementation but there are certain places where there is no floor on where you can click, so it's not viable.
Thank you for the hard work!

Is this code introduced in your fork, or was it just a test?
The issue is that i have a device without keyboard (only touchscreen) and a mouse-oriented behaviour is very interesting. Also I cannot use Android controls, because the device is an x86 running Linux.

With regard to the floor - why not just clicking on the closest point to the intended place to move?
giucam

Post by giucam »

Is this code introduced in your fork, or was it just a test?
No, that was just a test.
With regard to the floor - why not just clicking on the closest point to the intended place to move?
That wouldn't work. The only possible solution is to create some buttons on the edges to switch setups but i don't like it.
Sho

Post by Sho »

Okay then.
ramine

Post by ramine »

Giucam: just wanted to let you know that your tweaks are what encouraged me to start the game, after postponing it since 1997! I hope you keep it up :)
JohnnyWalker2001

Post by JohnnyWalker2001 »

This is a brilliant idea! (Although I don't think PnC is particularly needed.)
Last edited by nuphonic on Mon May 06, 2013 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
counting_pine

Post by counting_pine »

Just to say, I agree now about the problems with point-and-click.
You can see straight away from the opening screen with the message tube:
Much of the office floor is completely obscured by the desk and chairs. And the more interesting places to walk to, like the floor by the back table, involve clicking the floor under the desk or on the wall. Neither of those feel very satisfying.
It's times like this when you really appreciate how much floor you see in a point-and-click adventure.
ramine

Post by ramine »

Almost done with my first playthrough of the game :)

I have to say the controls could really use some improvement.

For example:
- Ability to turn while running (right now very limited)
- Pressing down turns around, rather than walks backwards