Engines in ResidualVMVM

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

I don't own the game so I had no idea of the progress.
ScottT
ScummVM Developer

Post by ScottT »

I guess you could say the 'easy' part has been done (ie, loading resources). The game world/logic hasn't been touched yet, and I don't expect it to move too fast in the near future.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Awesome! I love you guys:)
piksi

Post by piksi »

loki1985 wrote:the following 3d games come to mind:

- gabriel knight 3
- broken sword 3
- simon the sorcerer 3d

i know all these games are not regarded highly by most adventure gamers, especially simon3. but with a certain amount of masochism and persistence, they can be fun.

the general problem i see here: while most adventure games in the old days used some script format (because of pretty complex scripts), i guess most newer 3d games tend to use hardcoded logic in the game executable or DLLs. such a case would creating support for the engine pretty cumbersome.

maybe, if i find the time and motivation, i will look into adding some support for one of those games in the future... probably GK3 which i regard as the most important of the 3.

another thing which i would probably enjoy even more is adding general support for the early resident evil games (1 to 3). but i am not sure if residual is the right place for such an engine, also i guess the exe/DLL script issue described above applies here....
1 point UP for GK3. The game engine used by this game is very buggy under Wine; not playable beyond XP (I had no luck running the game under W7 'cos of install issues) and last master piece of the saga.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

Perfect Assassin was an interesting game that would fit in residual, graphically the complete opposite of Grim as the scenery is 3D and the characters are 2D.
CyberAxe

Post by CyberAxe »

I'm all for Gabriel Knight 3, Broken Sword 3 and Simon the Sorcerer 3D and Discworld Noir

In addition I submit the following

Broken Sword 4

Star Trek 25th Anniversary and Star Trek A Final Unity I imagine the 3D Space Scenes would probably put them under ResidualVMs Scope.

Lost Eden, Probably could be done in ScummVM but I imagine some would claim the 3D Cube cursor would be cause to make it ResidualVM.

Normality, Cyberia (I'm unsure if this was all pre-rendered or not), Alone in the Dark 1 2 3 and the Spinoff, Bioforge (If that's not under ScummVM's ability, I remember it being pre-rendered rather than 3D)

All the Text Murphy games that used 3D especially The Pandora Directive.

Sherlock Holmes Case of the Silver Ear Ring
The Mystery of the Druids
Post Mortem

The Final 3 Defiantly being 3D and so within ResidualVMs Scope and the only good 3D proper adventure games I know of that were released since 2000 (I don't count tele-tale games as PROPER adventure games they are more like mini adventures and no where near as challenging)

And two others I'm not personally bothered about but I thought I should mention is the 7th guest and the 11th hour though I think only the latter is residual worthy.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

CyberAxe wrote: And two others I'm not personally bothered about but I thought I should mention is the 7th guest and the 11th hour though I think only the latter is residual worthy.
7th Guest does already and 11th Hour will soonish run in Scummvm
ScottT
ScummVM Developer

Post by ScottT »

Raziel wrote:7th Guest does already and 11th Hour will soonish run in Scummvm
That's a very long 'ish', but yes - both are prerendered, so belong in ScummVM.
MetallDragon

Post by MetallDragon »

I would love to see Stupid Invaders in ResidualVM, and maybe the Ankh games.
Harrypoppins

Post by Harrypoppins »

Yeah stupid invaders was great ! This one ans Disc-World Noir could be terrific. (and Blade Runner but there is no real way to)
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

So I know this is not exactly a request thread, so this is almost as much a memo to me as anything else.

But "someday in the future" support for these would make me smile.

ÔÇó EFMI, because the OS9 version screwed me over. :P
ÔÇó Discworld Noir - Looks interesting, never played it.
ÔÇó Gold and Glory: the Road to El Dorado - Another one I've not played, but looked interesting.
ÔÇó Blade Runner - Yet another I've not played, but looks interesting.
ÔÇó Myst 3+ - I hope to one day play through them all.

Yep, I know, don't bother to explain that it might take a long time, or probably not happen, I know. Really, I am just happy this is being worked on at all. Like I said, this is pretty much a memo.
Red Paladin

Post by Red Paladin »

First off, Great work with getting Grim Fandango completable, it has been some time since I was last able to play it, and I'm very keen to take this particular stroll down memory lane...

Of coarse we all have have our preferences, though personally I would be ecstatic, if engines for Discworld Noir, Quest for Glory 5, and Simon the Sorcerer 3D were added someday.