Why is the Mac build not Universal?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

jbni

Why is the Mac build not Universal?

Post by jbni »

Why is the Macintosh build Intel-only?

I suspect - it's just a suspicion, mind you - there might be a few more people using PowerMacs than using Playstation 3s running Ubuntu.
clone2727
Retired

Re: Why is the Mac build not Universal?

Post by clone2727 »

I suspect - it's just a suspicion, mind you - that aquadran doesn't have a Mac PPC cross-compiler set up nor a Mac PPC system.

If you want a PPC build that badly, I'm sure someone else on the forums may be able to provide you one. You could always build one yourself too. Heck, aquadran may even have one of those things mentioned above and would be able to compile a Universal one for you.

Also, this alone would have sufficed as a good forum post:
jbni wrote:Why is the Macintosh build Intel-only?
Forum Rule 2 or 4 would probably apply here. However, I believe you should just read this, mentioned in Forum Rule 1.

For the record: That Ubuntu PowerPC build is not just for the PlayStation 3.
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

Well, I build ResidualVM on my PPC Mac, which should be usable on other PPC Macs going by statements made on the subject in another thread. I could upload the bundle to some space I have through my ISP and provide a link if asked nicely. :wink: jbni could also learn how to build things, which is easy to do although hard to set up.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

MeddlingMonk wrote:Well, I build ResidualVM on my PPC Mac, which should be usable on other PPC Macs going by statements made on the subject in another thread. I could upload the bundle to some space I have through my ISP and provide a link if asked nicely. :wink: jbni could also learn how to build things, which is easy to do although hard to set up.
I'd love a copy, if you're offering.
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

I make no guarantees that this will work on your computer. I think it will. Just click here to download. Assuming it works, you'll want to follow the directions on the ResidualVM website for copying the needed files to your hard drive and just use the ResidualVM GUI to find the folder you put them in. Just remember that saving/loading doesn't work and that there are lots of bugs but you can edit the ResidualVM Preferences file to change what set the game starts in (just see the wiki for that, too).
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

Code: Select all

Date/Time:      2010-08-29 16:09:52.340 -0700
OS Version:     10.4.11 (Build 8S165)
Report Version: 4

Command: residual
Path:    /Volumes/The Dungus Drive/Games MAIN/Grim X/ResidualVM.app/Contents/MacOS/residual
Parent:  WindowServer [57]

Version: 0.0.6svn (0.0.6svn)

PID:    571
Thread: Unknown

Link (dyld) error:

Symbol not found: _pthread_cond_init$UNIX2003
  Referenced from: /Volumes/The Dungus Drive/Games MAIN/Grim X/ResidualVM.app/Contents/MacOS/residual
  Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
Shame, it crashes at launch.
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

Well, I didn't expect that exactly. I would have thought that if the app couldn't find something it needed, it would have been a library I got through Fink. It's possible that the fact that you've got 10.4 and I made my build on 10.5 probably has everything to do with that. I thought that maybe I had my target build set to 10.5 but it turns out that it is actually set to 10.4, so it's obviously not that simple. Right now I'm not sure what the solution would be, and right now I don't really have the time to really look into it. It'll have to wait, unless somebody else has any ideas.
SwedeBear

Post by SwedeBear »

Hi to all. Here's my 1st post.
@MeddlingMonk: I have just started your compilation of ResidualVM, choosed the data files folder directly from the CD-ROM and it seems to run. Only went through the opening movie and then realised I┬┤d forgot the movement commands for the game. :?

I can set options in the main window, paths, audio/music etc. Default ResidualVM runs in SW rendering mode.

The HW to run this is a G4 AGP Graphic/10.5.8/ATI Radeon 9800 Pro.

Very neat looking app! Ran GF with another compilation/wrap which gave less options from the GUI and before that I tried a 'prepared' source which I succeded to compile.

Update: Booted an old Tiger (10.4.11) partition, started MeddlingMonks compilation and got the same behaviour and report content as reported by Jon God.
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

SwedeBear, to be clear, it sounds from what you are saying that my build of ResidualVM runs on your G4 Mac but only on a partition running OS 10.5.x. Is that right? You state clearly that it fails to run under your 10.4 partition, so I'm guessing this is the case. (BTW, you really should be running the game from the hard drive. Just go to the documentation section of the ResidualVM website to find out which files you really need. I think that, like ScummVM, ResidualVM doesn't support disc swapping.)

Anyway, I've made a change to my environment settings in terminal so it will (hopefully, if I'm doing it right) build against the 10.4 SDK. The new build has been uploaded to the same place as the old, so the link I posted above on August 29th will get you the new one.
SwedeBear

Post by SwedeBear »

1st; sorry for this late responce!

Tried your latest build on my Tiger partition and couldn┬┤t get it to start. Got this crash report:
---------------------------------------------------

Date/Time: 2010-10-01 20:35:37.528 +0200
OS Version: 10.4.11 (Build 8S165)
Report Version: 4

Command: residual
Path: /Volumes/EmusExt/ResidualVM/ResidualVM20100831.app/Contents/MacOS/residual
Parent: WindowServer [60]

Version: 0.0.6svn (0.0.6svn)

PID: 261
Thread: Unknown

Link (dyld) error:

Symbol not found: _pthread_cond_init$UNIX2003
Referenced from: /Volumes/EmusExt/ResidualVM/ResidualVM20100831.app/Contents/MacOS/residual
Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
----------------------------------------------------

Oddly the build running under Leopard in fullscreen shows colour distortion (faulty palette?) in both stills and animation. Manny got a slow flickering in movements with purple geometric shape following the sprite/animated figure.
In windowed mode the stills palette are fine and animations too. Manny has no flickering but still carrying the purple geometric shape.

Is it possible to set hardware/software rendering in ResidualVM app or is this to be done in the prefs file?
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

I don't think ResidualVM can be set to software rendering. At least, the setting doesn't seem to change when I try although the readme says software mode is available.

Anyway, this has now gotten beyond my abilities and knowledge. The only thing I can suggest at this point is that you learn how to compile from source yourself. It's not that hard. I mean, obviously cross-compiling is beyond me, but I have no problems building things for my own use. You would need to install Xcode (different versions work only with specific versions of OS X, so the latest version of Xcode only works with Snow Leopard) plus either MacPorts or Fink in order to install the development libraries Xcode doesn't provide. The MacPorts and Fink installers set up the build environment for you. It takes a little bit of effort but it's not that bad.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

MeddlingMonk wrote:I don't think ResidualVM can be set to software rendering. At least, the setting doesn't seem to change when I try although the readme says software mode is available.
I don't know if there's a GUI to change between software and hardware renderer, but at least when running under Linux in windowed mode you should be able to tell which it's using from the window title. For me, it either says "ResidualVM: Software 3D Renderer" or "ResidualVM: DRI R300 Project/Mesa DRI R300 (R420 5D4F) 20090101 x86/MMX/SSE2 TCL DRI2".

(For me, the choice is a no-brainer. The software renderer gives me 25-30 fps, while the hardware "accelerated" renderer gives me 1-2 fps.)
SwedeBear

Post by SwedeBear »

There is/was an older OS X compilation of ResidualVM (wrapped?) called GrimX IIRC. With this you had the choice of sw or hw render. In my case sw was the only viabel option. Today I guess it would suffer the same crash as MeddlinMonk's versions.
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

It may suffer a crash, but mine crashed because I can't figure out how to make a build on Leopard that works with Tiger (and apparently won't work all that well on Leopard other than on my own machine).