Ecstatica & Ecstatica II

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Morden

Ecstatica & Ecstatica II

Post by Morden »

It's time for my first post on the boards. It took me years to come all the way here from ScummVM forums, but now I'm here to stay.

I know that ResidualVM project doesn't get the same kind of attention as ScummVM, but I wanted to ask about what engines are being considered to be supported. Also, I wanted to suggest a game [that has been mentioned here once].

Back in '94, Psygnosis published Ecstatica. I fell in love with that game back then and I love it still. Same goes for the '97 sequel. It is however becoming increasingly hard to play these games. I don't think DOSBox game testers are as thorough, because even though the listed compatibility is high, my CD version of first Ecstatica can crash at random.

Seeing as these games are old and there has been no attempts to re-release them or port them to other platforms, I am wondering if it would be possible to add the Ecstatica engine to ResidualVM.

It's not one of those "add a game" requests, mind you. I'm wondering if it would be possible to get an official OK from Psygnosis to do it. Over the years, ScummVM team has added numerous titles working with companies that developed them. I don't think Psygnosis has anything to lose if they supply the sources and make the game freeware while they're at it. Ecstatica franchise is long since dead, after all.

So how does it work when you want to officially ask a developer or a publisher for their blessing? Who contacts the company and how does such a request look like? I'm wondering how many companies did ScummVM project approach - Companies that refused to lend their help, especially.

I'd like ResidualVM to grow into something big, just like ScummVM. Adding more games creates more interest and more interest always brings more people to the community, not only gamers, but also coders. For years now very little has happened in ResidualVM development - I'm sure people are still working hard, I just mean the compatibility percentage.

I know this topic is a bit all over the place, but hey, it's my first here, so I'm sure you'll cut me some slack. So - Is it at all plausible that a contact with Psygnosis [or SCE Studio Liverpool] may result in cooperation and Ecstatica support?
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

I have not played the game you are talking about. However, the Discworld games, which are supported by ScummVM, are made by Psygnosis. (This may mean there is probably more chance of support being approved)

I dont know how you would go about contacting Psygnosis about this, a member of the ScummVM or ResidualVM team would be much better off answering that question. There is the problem however, that there needs to be someone willing to study the game in detail and program it into ResidualVM. (Especially if the company doesn't provide the source code, which they may not have / be willing to supply)

Also, you asked about what engines are being considered for support. As far as I am aware the considered engines are:

Grime - Grim Fandango, Escape from Monkey Island
Twin Engine / Prequengine - Little Big Adventure: Twinsen's Adventure (Relentless), LBA Prequel
Free in the Dark - Alone in the Dark 1 & 2

I hope this answered some of your questions.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

Both series of games are not made by Psygnosis.
Discworld 1 & 2 were done by Teeny Weeny Games & Perfect 10 (which merged to become Perfect Entertainment)
Ecstatica 1 & 2 were done by Andrew Spencer Studios.
They all were published by Psygnosis.

I've never really been sure about Ecstatica is it 3D or is it 2D sprites with a depth value? I could never get very far in Ecstatica II the combat system always felt very cumbersome (the same reason I never got into Alone in the Dark)

Free In the Dark also supports Alone in the Dark 3 and the Side story Jack in the Dark