Sierra Mac issues

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Maxor127

Sierra Mac issues

Post by Maxor127 »

Not sure if this is a bug or issue with my files. The Mac version of Quest for Glory 1 VGA works in ScummVM v1.9.0.2, but it crashes on startup in any release I've tried since. The only error I see is in the console, it says "Could not open Data1 for reading!"

Also, Aspect Ratio Correction doesn't seem to work with the Mac versions of Sierra games. Is that a bug or Mac-specific limitation?
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Re: Sierra Mac issues

Post by criezy »

I don't know about the first issue, but the aspect correction issue is a known one that is for example discussed in this forum thread.
almeath

Re: Sierra Mac issues

Post by almeath »

Maxor127 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:09 am Not sure if this is a bug or issue with my files. The Mac version of Quest for Glory 1 VGA works in ScummVM v1.9.0.2, but it crashes on startup in any release I've tried since. The only error I see is in the console, it says "Could not open Data1 for reading!"

Also, Aspect Ratio Correction doesn't seem to work with the Mac versions of Sierra games. Is that a bug or Mac-specific limitation?
The patch mentioned in the thread linked above still works. You just need to go into /backends/graphics/opengl and edit line 1224 in opengl-graphics.cpp as follows:

return (width == 320 && height == 190)

If you compile ScummVM with that change, you will be able to enforce aspect ratio correction in the small number of Mac SCI games that are affected, namely:
  • King's Quest V
  • King's Quest VI (not sure about this one because I personally cannot see any difference)
  • Leisure Suit Larry 5
  • Space Quest (SCI remake)
  • Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist
  • Quest for Glory (SCI remake)