Please help us with testing upcoming ScummVM 2.2.0 release

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sev
ScummVM Lead

Please help us with testing upcoming ScummVM 2.2.0 release

Post by sev »

Hello world, it is time for us to release the next version of ScummVM. Thus, we really need your help with testing the stable builds before the upcoming release, so we ensure better quality.

Please, pay your special attention to the following new titles:
  • Blazing Dragons
  • Eye of the Beholder - Sega CD version
  • Griffon Legend
  • Interactive Fiction games
  • Operation Stealth
  • Police Quest: SWAT
  • Prince and the Coward, English translation
  • Ultima IV - Quest of the Avatar
  • Ultima VI - The False Prophet
  • Ultima VIII - Pagan
We would also like you to play through another Sierra game: Police Quest: SWAT. Train to be a member of the SWAT team, and embark into dangerous missions to save civilian lives. This has been recently promoted for testing, so its call for testing has been included in the announcement for the upcoming release.

These games need to be tested with stable builds, not development ones. And report any bugs or oddities on our issue tracker.

We also need your help to update the ScummVM translations for this release. You can see the status of the translations, and work on them on our translations website. To log-in to the web site, you can either use your GitHub or Facebook account if you have one or create an account specific for this web site. Regular contributors can save changes to the translations but new contributors will only be able to make suggestions and vote on the suggestions. However we are looking for new regular contributors for some languages, so if you do not currently have full access and would like to get it, please contact us. Also, a few of our past contributors may have lost their full access a few months ago when we updated our permission settings. If you are one of them please contact us to see your full access restored.

Good luck with your playtesting, and let’s release version 2.2.0 at the end of September!
KainXVIII

Re: Please help us with testing upcoming ScummVM 2.2.0 release

Post by KainXVIII »

Latest win64 stable build is dated to april 18 though..
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Yes, we may have posted this news one day too early :?
The stable branch for the 2.2 release was created today, but since the daily builds are generated during the night (in Europe) they will only be available tomorrow I think. So the ones currently available are probably still those from the old 2.1 release branch.
KainXVIII

Post by KainXVIII »

criezy wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:28 pm Yes, we may have posted this news one day too early :?
The stable branch for the 2.2 release was created today, but since the daily builds are generated during the night (in Europe) they will only be available tomorrow I think. So the ones currently available are probably still those from the old 2.1 release branch.
Don't worry, we will wait a little :P
lwc

Post by lwc »

sev wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:35 pm Please, pay your special attention to the following new titles:
  • Police Quest: SWAT
We would also like you to play through another Sierra game: Police Quest: SWAT.
What did you mean by also when you repeated Police Quest: SWAT?
Alien Grey

Post by Alien Grey »

Where can I find the information about the data files needed to run these games?

That would help a lot because I don't like just copying all the content knowing that a lot of files won't be needed to run the game. I can start testing the game Prince and the Coward and looking at all the data files from the CD a lot of them won't be needed.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Alien Grey wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:21 am Where can I find the information about the data files needed to run these games?

That would help a lot because I don't like just copying all the content knowing that a lot of files won't be needed to run the game. I can start testing the game Prince and the Coward and looking at all the data files from the CD a lot of them won't be needed.
Just copy everything, it is not a big deal if you have, say, prince.exe hanging in your directory. You can save, perhaps, 0.3% of your disk space.

Normally, you find a link to the Datafiles on our compatibility page but I was lazy to add that for Prince.

Eugene
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

lwc wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:07 pm What did you mean by also when you repeated Police Quest: SWAT?
That is what happens when a single news post has 3 authors :lol:

Eugene
nozomi

Post by nozomi »

All the "Living Book" titles seem to be broken. They all crash immediately with an error about an incorrect dictionary size.

Tested with the latest stable for Windows 64bit and Android builds.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

nozomi wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:07 am All the "Living Book" titles seem to be broken. They all crash immediately with an error about an incorrect dictionary size.

Thank you for letting us know. The Living Book games where indeed broken since a change made 6 weeks ago to clean the code reading the bitmaps. This should be fixed in the next daily build, but more testing and confirmation would be welcome (I don't have any of the games, so I tested with the demo only, and they are very short!).

As a reminder though, bugs should usually be reported on https://bugs.scummvm.org/. Not all developers look at the forum, and even for those that do, it is easy to miss or forget such a report here.
Alien Grey

Post by Alien Grey »

sev wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:46 am
Alien Grey wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:21 am Where can I find the information about the data files needed to run these games?

Just copy everything, it is not a big deal if you have, say, prince.exe hanging in your directory. You can save, perhaps, 0.3% of your disk space.

Normally, you find a link to the Datafiles on our compatibility page but I was lazy to add that for Prince.

Eugene
I was talking about the full content of the CD. But it looks like I only need the files from the Data folder.
hugo

Post by hugo »

Thanks for info "sev". I did not notice the change. I will restart my playtest of Prince and the Coward (PL/DE + EN text transaltion).
hugo

Post by hugo »

BTW (excuse me if I did overlooked something but...) Is there a manpage on transaltion *.dat file format and structure? I have the crazy Idea to dig Andrej Anastasov's Czech transaltion of the Agent Mlíčňák (czech title under which "Teen Agent" was sold by Vochozka trading back then i Czech Republic). And I do not want to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks.
hugo

Post by hugo »

Alien Grey wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:45 pm
I see You are testing on DE audio + EN text. I will continue on PL audio + EN text then.
nozomi

Post by nozomi »

criezy wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:23 am
nozomi wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:07 am All the "Living Book" titles seem to be broken. They all crash immediately with an error about an incorrect dictionary size.

Thank you for letting us know. The Living Book games where indeed broken since a change made 6 weeks ago to clean the code reading the bitmaps. This should be fixed in the next daily build, but more testing and confirmation would be welcome (I don't have any of the games, so I tested with the demo only, and they are very short!).

As a reminder though, bugs should usually be reported on https://bugs.scummvm.org/. Not all developers look at the forum, and even for those that do, it is easy to miss or forget such a report here.
The Living Book titles work great now, thanks. Though it's probably always been this way, "The New Kid on the Block" DEMO and GAME both do not work correctly, when selecting the "Read to me" option, only the first page of text/audio is correct. All pages after that have the correct audio, but the on-screen text never advances.

Many of the mini games included with several of these titles also do not work at all or work incorrectly. Are bug reports wanted for these titles or has development ended/stalled for them.