Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis - Speech voice

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

poromandrake

Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis - Speech voice

Post by poromandrake »

Hi all,

I'm new to Scumm and i just bought Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis on GOG.

I started the game and it works fine, i can see the subtitles but i can't hear the speech voices. Is there some setting i have to put in order to hear the speech?

Sorry if it's a silly question but i looked in the forum but i had no luck. I updated the last version of Scumm, I'm running it on Windows10

Thank you all in advance.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis - Speech voice

Post by Praetorian »

poromandrake wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:10 pm Hi all,

I'm new to Scumm and i just bought Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis on GOG.

I started the game and it works fine, i can see the subtitles but i can't hear the speech voices. Is there some setting i have to put in order to hear the speech?

Sorry if it's a silly question but i looked in the forum but i had no luck. I updated the last version of Scumm, I'm running it on Windows10

In the ScummVM version (2.0.0) that GOG installs, when you run the game. you can press F5 to bring up the in-game ScummVM menu. Then select "Options" and finally make sure that the "Both" radio button is selected for Text and Speech. Then press ok and "Resume".

This is for English speech audio btw.

The instructions are the same for the latest ScummVM stable version (2.1.2) -- I have just tested with both versions and English speech is working fine (with subtitles)
poromandrake

Post by poromandrake »

Praetorian wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:03 pm
poromandrake wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:10 pm Hi all,

In the ScummVM version (2.0.0) that GOG installs, when you run the game. you can press F5 to bring up the in-game ScummVM menu. Then select "Options" and finally make sure that the "Both" radio button is selected for Text and Speech. Then press ok and "Resume".

This is for English speech audio btw.

The instructions are the same for the latest ScummVM stable version (2.1.2) -- I have just tested with both versions and English speech is working fine (with subtitles)
Hi! Thanks for your reply!

So i'm running the 2.1.2 and the problem is that when i press F5 and Options when the game is running the "Voice - Text- Both" buttons are grey and cannot be selected.

on the other hand if run Scumm before executing the game and put options from there i can select Voice, Text or Both, i tried selecting either voice and both and then "Apply" and "Ok" but when i run the game the situation is still the same. Ok subtitles but no speech.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

poromandrake wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:15 pm Hi! Thanks for your reply!

So i'm running the 2.1.2 and the problem is that when i press F5 and Options when the game is running the "Voice - Text- Both" buttons are grey and cannot be selected.

on the other hand if run Scumm before executing the game and put options from there i can select Voice, Text or Both, i tried selecting either voice and both and then "Apply" and "Ok" but when i run the game the situation is still the same. Ok subtitles but no speech.
Can you verify that:
- You have a file MONSTER.SOU in your Fate of Atlantis folder
- ScummVM added the game as "CD DOS English"
- and that you can hear music and sound effects when playing the game.
poromandrake

Post by poromandrake »

Praetorian wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:02 pm
poromandrake wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:15 pm Hi! Thanks for your reply!

Can you verify that:
- You have a file MONSTER.SOU in your Fate of Atlantis folder
- ScummVM added the game as "CD DOS English"
- and that you can hear music and sound effects when playing the game.

no, there's no MONSTER.SOU file in the game folder and yes, the game was added as cd dos english
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

poromandrake wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:24 pm no, there's no MONSTER.SOU file in the game folder and yes, the game was added as cd dos english
MONSTER.SOU should have been installed in your folder. Please try to re-install or verify the game's data, using GOG Galaxy -- I am not sure if the offline installers work ok. This file is responsible for the speech sounds so you do need it.

What about my third bullet point above. Do you have music and sound effects playing ok, besides the speech? Or is the game completely silent for you?
Alien Grey

Post by Alien Grey »

There shouldn't be a MONSTER.SOU file. There should be a MONSTER.SOF file.

If there's a MONSTER.SOU file it should be renamed to MONSTER.SOF to get speech to work. That's how I got speech to work with all SCUMM games that have speech.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Alien Grey wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:32 am There shouldn't be a MONSTER.SOU file. There should be a MONSTER.SOF file.
It depends on which version of the game you have. The original releases have a MONSTER.SOU file. But ScummVM supports using a reencoded one in either FLAC (MONSTER.SOF), OGG (MONSTER.SOG), or MP3 (MONSTER.SO3). The ScummVM Tools can be used to do this reencoding. But it is also possible that GOG provides some of the games with an already rencoded monster file to reduce the download size (I don't any Lucas Arts game on GOG, so I cannot check, but those I have on Steam come with the original MONSTER.SOU file).
Alien Grey

Post by Alien Grey »

Thanks for explaining. It does look like GOG doesn't reencode them so there should be a MONSTER.SOU file.

I think the easiest way to fix this is just use the data files needed (ATLANTIS.000, ATLANTIS.001 and MONSTER.SOU) for this game to run with ScummVM and use the latest build.