The Secret Of Monkey Island PC FLoppy VGA Vs Amiga

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

hermit81

The Secret Of Monkey Island PC FLoppy VGA Vs Amiga

Post by hermit81 »

Hi guys
I thought it could be interesting to make an audio Comparison between The Two Different Versions
I must specify that this is a comparison of sound effects and not on Music Themes

With My ScummVm Set in this way:

PC VERSION
VGA Floppy Disk
Emulator AdLib
OPL Mame (you cannot choose OPL2/3)
Audio Mix AdLib and MIDI

AMIGA VERSION
Emulator Amiga
Audio Mix AdLib and MIDI

SCUMM BAR

Pc Version/Amiga Version

Opening and closing doors sound/Boiling Pot/Noise of the Pair of the Board/Fluttering of the Seagull/noise of the Grog From Barrel.

Sounds are available on Both versions but I prefer the More natural and realistic sound of The Amiga Opening and Closing Doors
The noise of the grog has different sound on the 2 versions

VOODOO LADY

Pc Version/Amiga Version

No sound

FETTUCINI BROTHERS

Pc Version/Amiga Version

The sound of cannon firing and the POLE
Sounds are available on Both versions

LOOKING POINT

Pc Version/Amiga Version

NO SOUND

FOREST

Pc Version NO SOUND

Amiga Version The sound of the Shovel digging+Noise of the Ground when digging is ended

GOVERNOR'S MANSION

Pc Version/Amiga Version

The sound of the fistfight.
Sounds are available on Both versions but are different.

ON THE DOCK WITH SHERIFF

Pc Version NO SOUND
Amiga Version The sound of the Idol falling into the water+Guybrush and Elaine Romantic Theme

STOREKEEPER BELL

Pc Version/Amiga Version

I prefer the more natural and realistic of the Amiga Version

CAPTAIN SMIRK

Pc Version/Amiga Version

Knocking on The Door/The sound of The sword/The Sound of the Infernal Machine.
I prefer the more natural and realistic sound of the Sword even in the duels of insult with the pirates

THE FOREST CHASING THE STOREKEEPER

Pc Version/Amiga Version

The sound of the Sign of the House of the Master of the Sword

PRISON OTIS

Pc Version/Amiga Version

The sound of the Grog on the lock
Sounds are available on Both versions but are different

MEATHOOK

Pc Version/Amiga Version

The sound of the Pulley rushing on the wire/ladder/cage bird opening.
Sounds Are different but I prefer the sound of the Rushing on the wire of Amiga Version

STOREKEEPER VAULT

Pc Version/Amiga Version

Sound is available on Both versions

ON THE DOCK WITH STAN

Pc Version/Amiga Version

The sound of a piece of Vassel that is falling

ON THE SHIP

Pc Version/Amiga Version

The sound of the water flowing on the Hatch/oPENING/cLOSING sOUND OF tHE kitchen cabinet/Explosion of the Pot/Explosion of the Fuse burning +explosion of the Cannon.

ON MONKEY ISLAND

Pc Version/Amiga Version

The sound of the Barricade Explosion+Sound of the huge rock thrown by the catapult on BOAT+WATER+TREE.
Sound are available on Both versions

GHOST SHIPPING

Pc Version/Amiga Version

Noises of Pigs/Pirate sleeping (zzzzz)/Toolbox.
Sounds of Pirate sleeping is different for both versions, but I prefer the sound of Amiga

LE CHUCK FINAL BATTLE

Pc Version/Amiga Version

The sound of Voodoo Root Beer on Le Chuck/Fireworks
Sound are available on Both versions

let me know what you think
pcgamenerd

Re: The Secret Of Monkey Island PC FLoppy VGA Vs Amiga

Post by pcgamenerd »

No Sure About That,

If I Would Play The Original Version Of The Secret Of The Monkey Island Now, It Would Be...
The Updated VGA/CD Version From 1992 With Updated CD Audio Music Because I Would Be Easy To Copy The Data Files From The CD-ROM & Rip The Audio FIles From The Program "CDex" To My SOMI Folder Then I Add The Game To ScummVM. I Also Look Into Getting The Monkey Island Madness CD Soon, Plus It Also Have Monkey Island 2 & An Demo For The Curse Of Monkey Island.

If I Would Play The Game With Dialogue, It Would Be,
The Ultimate Talkie Edition Of The Secret Of Monkey Island, An Version Of The Game Which Is An Patch Of The Updated VGA/CD Version With Dialogue Sourced From The 2009 Special Edition Version & Other Stuff Also From The Special Edition Version. For The Ultimate Talkie Edition Of The Secret Of Monkey Island Haves General MIDI & AdLib For The Audio & Roland MT-32 Audio, If You Have The MT-32 Roms & Possibly Use The Emulator "Munt" For Roland MT-32 Audio. Also The Ultimate Talkie Edition Of Monkey Island 1 Haves Audio Tracks For The Ultimate Talkie Edition Are In 2 Chooses, The Original CD Audio Version & The Special Edition Audio Version. My Pick For The Audio Is The Original CD Audio Version, It Somewhat Remember Me Of The Loom VGA/CD Talkie Version, A Bit. For That You Need To Legally Owned The Special Edition Version Of The Secret Of Monkey Island, That Can Be Easily Bought On GOG & Steam. & Download The Ultimate Talkie Edition Patch & Create Your Own Monkey Island Ultimate Talkie Data Files For ScummVM.

So That's My Answer.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

pcgamenerd wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:53 am No Sure About That,

If I Would Play The Original Version Of The Secret Of The Monkey Island Now, It Would Be...
It says so in the title, so enhanced CD etc. doesn't count.
The Amiga version can play samples only, while the original PC floppy versions can't play samples at all (unless you count an MT-32-ROM), so they are different obviously.
pcgamenerd

Post by pcgamenerd »

Oh... My Bad, LogicDeLuxe! Plus I Actually More Enjoy The Ultimate Talkie Edition Of The Secret Of Monkey Island Then All Other Versions, LogicDeLuxe. That's My Opinion. & Also Sorry For The Wrong Topic!
hermit81

Post by hermit81 »

pcgamenerd wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:53 am No Sure About That,

The Updated VGA/CD Version From 1992 With Updated CD Audio Music Because I Would Be Easy To Copy The Data Files From The CD-ROM & Rip The Audio FIles From The Program "CDex" To My SOMI Folder Then I Add The Game To ScummVM. I Also Look Into Getting The Monkey Island Madness CD Soon, Plus It Also Have Monkey Island 2 & An Demo For The Curse Of Monkey Island.

If I Would Play The Game With Dialogue, It Would Be,
The Ultimate Talkie Edition Of The Secret Of Monkey Island, An Version Of The Game Which Is An Patch Of The Updated VGA/CD Version With Dialogue Sourced From The 2009 Special Edition Version & Other Stuff Also From The Special Edition Version. For The Ultimate Talkie Edition Of The Secret Of Monkey Island Haves General MIDI & AdLib For The Audio & Roland MT-32 Audio, If You Have The MT-32 Roms & Possibly Use The Emulator "Munt" For Roland MT-32 Audio. Also The Ultimate Talkie Edition Of Monkey Island 1 Haves Audio Tracks For The Ultimate Talkie Edition Are In 2 Chooses, The Original CD Audio Version & The Special Edition Audio Version. My Pick For The Audio Is The Original CD Audio Version, It Somewhat Remember Me Of The Loom VGA/CD Talkie Version, A Bit. For That You Need To Legally Owned The Special Edition Version Of The Secret Of Monkey Island, That Can Be Easily Bought On GOG & Steam. & Download The Ultimate Talkie Edition Patch & Create Your Own Monkey Island Ultimate Talkie Data Files For ScummVM.

So That's My Answer.
Hi man thank you so much
pcgamenerd

Post by pcgamenerd »

Your Welcome, hermit81! I Think You Sure Play Both The Updated 1992 VGA/CD Version For Better Graphics & Better Audio & The Ultimate Talkie Edition Version For Great Dialogue From The 2009 Special Edition Version & Audio In Both Original CD Audio & Special Edition Audio. But My Pick Is Playing The Ultimate Talkie Edition Version Of The Secret Of Monkey Island, Is Better Then All Other Versions & You Can Finally Listen To Dominic Armato As Guybrush Threepwood In This Version Of The Game. (Man, I Talk An Millennial George Lucas When I Said That...)