Lock aspect when resizing the Windows?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

chupo_cro

Lock aspect when resizing the Windows?

Post by chupo_cro »

Hi all, my first post here.

I've installed ScummVM to see Sam and Max Hit the Road that I still have on my 386 PC from 1991. and some other games after so many years - and it works really great :-)

It's not a big problem but I'd like to know if it is possible to resize the game window while preserving the starting aspect ratio of the window.

To explain:
I am using global HQ3x option and that works well but on 1440p monitor the game window is still to small and full screen picture is too big. Resizing the window by dragging its corner works well too - but is there a way to lock the aspect ratio during window resizing? What I mean is being able to resize the game window like when holding down the Shift key and resizing the selection or the crop area in Photoshop - holding the Shift to preserve the shape of the selecting rectangle (to lock the aspect ratio of the selecting rectangle).

The way window resizing in ScummVM works is width vs heihgt ratio is not fixed so it is possible to increase even the width only or the height only of the window which (as expected) results in black surroundings. Of course, the game still looks undistorted but it is very hard (if not impossible) to increase the size of the window by dragging the corner and not to cause black surroundings around the game itself.

In other words, the game window should keep the shape (aspect ratio) when resizing the window by dragging its corner. I do not want to stretch the game picture - I just want the game window to keep/follow its original (starting) aspect ratio when resizing it. The game itself within the window is always resized correctly, that is not the problem and that is not what I ask.

ScummVM 2.1.2, Windows 10
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Re: Lock aspect when resizing the Windows?

Post by criezy »

ScummVM itself doesn't have anything specific to do that. But your Windows Manager may have an option to do that. For example on macOS you can press the SHIFT key to lock the aspect ratio when you resize any window (and that's indeed quite convenient). Maybe Windows 10 has something similar (but I don't use Windows, so I can't really help you there).
chupo_cro

Re: Lock aspect when resizing the Windows?

Post by chupo_cro »

criezy wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:50 pm ScummVM itself doesn't have anything specific to do that. But your Windows Manager may have an option to do that. For example on macOS you can press the SHIFT key to lock the aspect ratio when you resize any window (and that's indeed quite convenient). Maybe Windows 10 has something similar (but I don't use Windows, so I can't really help you there).
Unfortunately, Windows OS doesn't have that. There are some programs for resizing the window to the specified size but I don't know if there is an utility for locking the aspect ratio during window resize.