How to bring up original menus in Lucasarts games?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Taiyaki

How to bring up original menus in Lucasarts games?

Post by Taiyaki »

I used to be able to do this a long time ago by pressing alt and F5 but it no longer works. In the past I always used the Scummvm saving options, and I still like it just the same, but mainly concerned about losing all my saves like I did from my over a decade old copy on my older older computer (saves are no longer working in newer version of Scummvm). Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Re: How to bring up original menus in Lucasarts games?

Post by criezy »

This works for me in the 2.1 release, but this indeed appears to have been broken since then as it doesn't work with a nightly build. It would be nice to report the bug on https://bugs.scummvm.org/.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

I investigated this a bit further and found the change that introduced that regression.
I created https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/11504#ticket so that a developer familiar with this code can have a look.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Thank you for creating a ticket, I appreciate it. I will follow that ticket link to see what happens. I hope they fix it.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

criezy wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:35 pm This works for me in the 2.1 release, but this indeed appears to have been broken since then as it doesn't work with a nightly build. It would be nice to report the bug on https://bugs.scummvm.org/.
So if I download the 2.1.0 from late last year I can restore the original save menu? Is there anywhere on the site that describes changes to the nightly builds? I tried navigating around to find such a file but couldn't find it. Just curious what will be lost as a Windows user by rolling back.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Taiyaki wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:40 pm So if I download the 2.1.0 from late last year I can restore the original save menu?
Yes, but it would be better to use 2.1.2 rather than 2.1.0.
Taiyaki wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:40 pm Is there anywhere on the site that describes changes to the nightly builds? I tried navigating around to find such a file but couldn't find it. Just curious what will be lost as a Windows user by rolling back.
The NEWS file contain some of those but may be incomplete. We don't always make sure it is kept up to date until when we get close to a release.
If you feel adventurous you can check the commit history, but that may be overwhelming.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

criezy wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:00 pm
Taiyaki wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:40 pm So if I download the 2.1.0 from late last year I can restore the original save menu?
Yes, but it would be better to use 2.1.2 rather than 2.1.0.
Taiyaki wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:40 pm Is there anywhere on the site that describes changes to the nightly builds? I tried navigating around to find such a file but couldn't find it. Just curious what will be lost as a Windows user by rolling back.
The NEWS file contain some of those but may be incomplete. We don't always make sure it is kept up to date until when we get close to a release.
If you feel adventurous you can check the commit history, but that may be overwhelming.
Thank you for sharing. So I checked and I am already using 2.1.2. I got the build that was featured as the recommended build for my system on the official site. I guess the original menus stopped working either in this version onwards or perhaps 2.1.1. I'll try download 2.1.1 and see if it works there.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

So lucasarts original menus do not work with 2.1.1 either. I guess it broke from there on. I'll try reverting to 2.1.0 for now, or alternatively I might just stick with 2.1.2 until the next update that fixes this.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Taiyaki wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:08 pm So lucasarts original menus do not work with 2.1.1 either.
It works in 2.1.1 (and 2.1.2) for me.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

criezy wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:57 pm
Taiyaki wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:08 pm So lucasarts original menus do not work with 2.1.1 either.
It works in 2.1.1 (and 2.1.2) for me.
I'm supposed to press Alt + F5 to get the original menus right? It does nothing on my build. I'm running Windows 10 64bits and tried both the recommended build of 2.1.2 and the old 2.1.1. I tried in many games and just couldn't get anything. Just pressing F5 brings up the scummvm menu, in some games I need to press CTRL + F5.

Am I doing something wrong?
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Taiyaki wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:08 pm I'm supposed to press Alt + F5 to get the original menus right?
Yes.
Taiyaki wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:08 pm It does nothing on my build. I'm running Windows 10 64bits and tried both the recommended build of 2.1.2 and the old 2.1.1. I tried in many games and just couldn't get anything. Just pressing F5 brings up the scummvm menu, in some games I need to press CTRL + F5.

Am I doing something wrong?
I tested this with Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade myself. It works properly for me in ScummVM 2.1.x, but in recent builds Alt is ignored and as a result Alt + F5 brings the ScummVM menu.

I am not a Windows user myself, so I can't really help more here, but it is possible that there is an additional issue on Windows with the handling of the modifier keys. That would surprise me though as we use Alt for many shortcuts (e.g. Alt + Enter to switch between fullscreen/windowe modes) and I have not seen any report from Windows users that it is not working.

Your best bet is to create another ticket on https://bugs.scummvm.org for your specific issue.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Thank you. I was able to test alt + enter and that works just fine (going from window to full screen and vice versa), but alt F5 no matter which alt I press does nothing. I will go and create a ticket.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

EDIT: Nevermind, I realized I had to use github there and not my scummvm account. Sorry about that. I sent it in. :)
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Just for an update, I tested it on another PC using Windows 7 and it didn't work there either. I tried versions going back as far as I could (after a while they didn't seem to work well), so I wonder if the functionality hasn't been broken for a long time on Windows. Surprising no one brought it up before if that's the case.