Can add game on PC but not iPad?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

jst

Can add game on PC but not iPad?

Post by jst »

I just installed ScummVM 2.1.1 onto my iPad, but it's not allowing me to add most of my games. (Error message: "ScummVM could not find any game in the specified directory!") I can add a few of my games onto the iPad, but most I cannot.

I can successfully add these files to ScummVM running on my computer. Both devices are running version 2.1.1, though they have different build dates. I also tried downgrading the iPad version to 2.1.0, but it didn't make a difference. I have verified that the files in question have the same MD5 hashes on both devices, so it's not an error copying the files over.

iPad specs:
  • iPad, 7th generation
  • iOS 13.4
  • ScummVM 2.1.1 (built Jan 19 2020 21:03:31)
  • Downloaded from scummvm.org, IPA version
Computer specs:
  • Arch Linux, kernel version 5.5.9
  • ScummVM 2.1.1 (built Feb 15 2020 23:23:06)
  • Installed from official Arch Linux package repo
Happy to provide any other information that might be helpful.

Anyone have any ideas why I'm not getting consistent behavior between the two versions?
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Re: Can add game on PC but not iPad?

Post by criezy »

I have not had any issues adding games on my iPad. Can you indicates what some of those games you cannot add are? If I have those I can check if adding them works for me.
jst

Post by jst »

Here's a full list of games that I can successfully add on iPad:
  • Fatty Bear's Birthday Surprise
  • Fatty Bear's Fun Pack
  • Putt-Putt and Fatty Bear's Activity Pack
  • Putt-Putt Goes to the Moon
  • Putt-Putt Joins the Parade
  • Putt-Putt's Fun Pack
  • Sam & Max Hit the Road
Here's the games I cannot add:
  • Freddi Fish 1: The Case of the Missing Kelp Seeds
  • Freddi Fish 2: The Case of the Haunted Schoolhouse
  • Freddi Fish 3: The Case of the Stolen Conch Shell
  • Freddi Fish 4: The Case of the Hogfish Rustlers of Briny Gulch
  • Freddi Fish 5: The Case of the Creature of Coral Cave
  • Freddi Fish & Luther's Maze Madness
  • Freddi Fish & Luther's Water Worries
  • Freddi Fish One-Stop Fun Shop
  • Pajama Sam 1: No Need to Hide When It's Dark Outside
  • Pajama Sam 2: Thunder and Lightning Aren't So Frightening
  • Pajama Sam 3: You Are What You Eat From Your Head to Your Feet
  • Pajama Sam: Games to Play on Any Day
  • Pajama Sam Lost and Found
  • Pajama Sam: Sock Works
  • Putt-Putt and Pep's Balloon-O-Rama
  • Putt-Putt and Pep's Dog on a Stick
  • Putt-Putt Enters the Race
  • Putt-Putt Saves the Zoo
  • Putt-Putt's One-Stop Fun Shop
  • Putt-Putt Travels Through Time
  • Spy Fox 1: Dry Cereal
  • Spy Fox 2: Some Assembly Required
  • Spy Fox 3: Operation Ozone
  • Spy Fox in Cheese Chase
  • Spy Fox in Hold the Mustard
All of them can be added successfully on PC.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

That's a lot of Humongous Entertainment games :)
I just checked and the bink video decoder is not enabled in the iOS release, which means the Humongous Entertainment v7.1+ games are indeed not recognised and cannot be played. Only a few Humongous Entertainment games (the v6 games) can be played:
  • Putt-Putt & Fatty Bear's Activity Pack
  • Bear Stormin'
  • Fatty Bear's Birthday Surprise
  • Fatty Bear's Fun Pack
  • Putt-Putt's Fun Pack
  • Putt-Putt Goes to the Moon
  • Putt-Putt Joins the Parade
Unfortunately you will not be able to play all the other HE games.

This seems to be consistent with the list you provided (also all the supported LucasArts games can be played, which includes Sam & Max Hit the Road from your list).

I am checking if there is a good reason to disable the bink video decoder for the iOS build. Maybe this is something that can be enabled in the next release.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

There might have been a good reason to disable those games on iOS. I have built a test version with the HE 7.1+ games enabled and picked randomly four of the demos from our web site. This is a mixed bag: while all of them are detected, I could only start two of them and had errors with the other two. One of the issue is that some of the games use an unsupported color format (this is a known limitation already reported for some other games as bug #10500 and bug #11332 and will hopefully get fixed at some point in the future).

You can get the test version from https://www.dropbox.com/s/nk8erpdiw5ht8 ... s.ipa?dl=0
I would appreciate if you could test some of your games and report your findings. I would in particular be interested to know if some of the full games can be played to the end.
jst

Post by jst »

Wow, thanks for the quick and detailed response! What can I say, I have a lot of nostalgia for those old HE games... :P

I just downloaded your new build and tried to launch a couple of my full games. They launched fine and seemed to run flawlessly. I only tried a few, and only for a couple minutes, but none of the games I tried crashed. I will do more thorough testing, including trying to play at least one game to completion, tonight and let you know how it goes!

Are there any particular settings/modes you would like me to test? For example, I see one of the bug tickets you've linked has to do with a "high quality video scaling option" which, as far as I can tell, is not enabled by default.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

jst wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:48 pm Are there any particular settings/modes you would like me to test? For example, I see one of the bug tickets you've linked has to do with a "high quality video scaling option" which, as far as I can tell, is not enabled by default.
No, no particular settings. This "high quality video scaling" option is specific to some SCI games, so is not really relevant here.
For information the two demos that did not work for me are Spy Fox 3 (I get the unsupported color format error when starting the demo) and the macintosh demo of Putt-Putt saves the zoo (it crashes ScummVM). On the other hand the demos for Pajama Sam 3 and Freddi Fish 4 at least start properly.
jst

Post by jst »

Last night I played Putt-Putt Saves the Zoo from start to finish - no gameplay problems!

Two possibly unrelated issues, which I would be happy to file separate bug reports for if you like:
  • When I did the "two finger swipe" to change to "trackpad mode", the little popup that says "Trackpad Mode Enabled" or whatever was flickering a lot and was basically unreadable. The control setting still changed successfully, though.
  • Using the iPad Pencil seemed to totally break the controls - I had to restart the app to get control back. I noticed this same issue on version 2.1.1 downloaded from the main site, so it has nothing to do with your new build.
I will continue playing more games throughout the next several days and report back if any of them crash or fail to load.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Thanks a lot for the tests. Following this it seems to make sense to enable those games in the next release, so I have updated the builds instructions.

For the two issues you have seen, it would indeed be a good idea to create a ticket on our bug tracker.

I could however not reproduce the first issue you saw with the two fingers swipe. For me, when doing it in the Freddi Fish 4 demo, the resulting popup text was not flickering. Maybe this depends on the game, and where in the game you are. So it would be useful to include as much info as you can in the bug report.

As for the issue with the iPad Pencil, I do not have one myself so I am unable to test. And as we do not currently have an iOS maintainer to look at the issue it may take a while before somebody can take a look. But having the issue reported in our bug tracker would be a good idea anyway in case an iOS developer happens to pass by, or for other users to at least know that the issue exists.
zolimax

Post by zolimax »

I have the same problem.
Have Updated today to 2.1.1 from 1.9 for get new game support.. but lost old one. And I can't find instalation file. I'm using .deb variant. Can you make new .deb with fixed of this problem?