Riven sequel to Myst Game

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

amcreed

Riven sequel to Myst Game

Post by amcreed »

Hi
I have downloaded Riven Sequel to Myst through GOG.COM and installed it with GOG Galaxy using scumm vm 2.1.0git. My system is Windows 7 with SP.1 and I could run the game very well. But the problem started when I need to quit and save the game. I tried ALT key F5 key nothing works. But if i press ESC key i could quit but i wont be able to save the game.I tried ALT F5 and got Scumm VM menu and tried it from there also but could not save. Please help.
Thanks.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Riven sequel to Myst Game

Post by eriktorbjorn »

amcreed wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:58 pm I tried ALT key F5 key nothing works. But if i press ESC key i could quit but i wont be able to save the game.I tried ALT F5 and got Scumm VM menu and tried it from there also but could not save. Please help.
Riven is one of those games I've never gotten around to playing - even though I've been meaning to for years - but according to the ScummVM README file it's Ctrl+S for saving and Ctrl+O for loading games.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

amcreed wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:58 pm Hi
I have downloaded Riven Sequel to Myst through GOG.COM and installed it with GOG Galaxy using scumm vm 2.1.0git. My system is Windows 7 with SP.1 and I could run the game very well. But the problem started when I need to quit and save the game. I tried ALT key F5 key nothing works. But if i press ESC key i could quit but i wont be able to save the game.I tried ALT F5 and got Scumm VM menu and tried it from there also but could not save. Please help.
Thanks.
I've just checked with the GOG Galaxy installed version of the game. This is on Windows 10 by the way. Galaxy indeed uses a 2.1.0git version of ScummVM (built on July 22).
  • The Ctrl+S and Ctrl+O shortcuts work for me for the Save and Load screens (ScummVM GUI) respectively.
  • Also Ctrl+F5 works for bringing up the in-game ScummVM menu, from which you can access the Save and Load screens too.
  • And finally, Esc key does not quit the game directly. It brings up a game menu screen where you can also find Save Game and Load Game ("Restore Saved Game") options.
Running the game as is from the Galaxy launcher seems to configure it to save games in a "SAVEGAME" subfolder inside the game folder (where GOG installed the game). You should check that this folder is created and that there are sufficient write permissions for ScummVM to store the saved games in there (I don't see why not, but it's good to make sure anyway).
amcreed

Post by amcreed »

Hi
Thanks buddies. I could manage to save the game and play. I am an ardent MYST player and loved all the MYST games I have. Both 5 Cds and 1 DVD of Riven Game I had and I have been trying to play this lately eventhough I played it several times before. I tried to play it in all the operating systems like win 95, win 98 se , win xp and win 7. Also tried Virtual machines like VMM Workstation and Virtual box. Though I could play this game but the screen resolution is limited. ScrummVM is just fantastic and I thoroughly enjoy this game playing with ScrummVMM.
Best regards
amcreed

Post by amcreed »

Hi all
New prob. NO SOUND AT ALL. It played well before but now this. I got sorted out SAVE game but now this!!!!
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

amcreed wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:24 am Hi all
New prob. NO SOUND AT ALL. It played well before but now this. I got sorted out SAVE game but now this!!!!
1. Could you please share here how you sorted the Save game, so that it could help others? Was it one of the above suggested solutions or something else you had to do?

2. About the sound issue. Can you press Ctrl+F5 while in-game, and then choose "Options" and check if Mute All is selected?
amcreed

Post by amcreed »

Hi
Sorted sound problem with your help. Now a new prob. in the marble puzzle board the marbles do not move and scumm script says ASERTION FAILED MARBLE BALL 1=0
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

amcreed wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:17 am Hi
Sorted sound problem with your help. Now a new prob. in the marble puzzle board the marbles do not move and scumm script says ASERTION FAILED MARBLE BALL 1=0
This sounds like a proper bug. You should open a New Ticket on the bug tracker about this here:
https://bugs.scummvm.org/
amcreed

Post by amcreed »

Thanks
I got in touch with them already.
Waiting for the reply.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

amcreed wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:32 pm Thanks
I got in touch with them already.
Waiting for the reply.
Hi, again.
Just to clarify. The ScummVM bug tracker is for reporting bugs and issues concerning the ScummVM projects and games that use it, so that developers will be able to notice and deal with them.

It is not to be confused with Steam, Steam's support, GOG or GOG's support.