PPC version of 2.1.0 is broken?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

anandale

PPC version of 2.1.0 is broken?

Post by anandale »

Hey. I'd been using 2.0.0 on my PowerMac G4 (running Mac OS X 10.5.8) fine but saw 2.1.0 had been released so downloaded the PPC 32bit "10.4+" (non sparkle) version. I get a disk image as expected and it verifies and mounts ok but inside the ScummVM app is a blank icon, and when I copy it to my hard drive and try and run it, the app opens but no windows show, it appears to stop responding as I have to force quit it to close it. I thought maybe I just got a corrupted download so tried one of the mirrors instead but I get the same result. Is the download broken? Thanks for any help.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Re: PPC version of 2.1.0 is broken?

Post by criezy »

Yes, this is a known issue. You can read about it in the second half of this thread (starting with SnakeCoils message). It works for me, but it doesn't for others. The cause of the issue is a bit mysterious, and my best guess at this point is that it might be related to size of the ScummVM executable being too big now, or maybe using too much stack memory.
anandale

Post by anandale »

Ah, I see. Thanks for info! Apologies that I did not search hard enough to find that topic myself. Shame it's gone a bit wonky, but hopefully it'll get sorted eventually but if not I know that 2.0.0 is very stable and works well so, even if that ended up being the final stable release for PPC I wouldn't be that bothered I guess. Thanks again.
Nostalgia673

Post by Nostalgia673 »

Why isn't the intel version of 2.1.0 on the older list?

But I did manage to find all Mac versions of 2.1.0 on https://archive.org/details/scummvm-2.1.0
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

We only list in the older versions the platforms for which there is no package for the latest release. But all the ScummVM releases are available at https://www.scummvm.org/frs/scummvm/.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

anandale, I think I may have fixed the issues with the PPC version and I have generated a test version. If you try it please let me know if it works.
You can get the version from [edit: removed link to test version - there is now an official 2.1.2 build for PPC macs on our Downloads page]