LucasArts games (ALL) erroring out

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Raziel
ScummVM Porter

LucasArts games (ALL) erroring out

Post by Raziel »

I built a local some hours back and wanted to try out some new stuff, wehn i stumbled over this.
All of LucasArts and HE games, everything that relies on the scumm engine is erroring out on start of a game.

Anyone know what this means?
And how i can fix this?

Adding to SearchMan: Games:GamesVM/Lucas Arts/Indiana Jones/The Last Crusade/
Checking for OBJETS/VS1.HLZ
not found
User picked target 'fbear-win' (engine ID 'scumm', game ID 'indy3')...
Looking for a plugin supporting this target... SCUMM [all games]
ConfigManager::getBool(demo_mode,): '' is not a valid bool!

Thank you

Quick test done with Indy3 and 4, Fatty Bear annd Full Throttle, but i guess all of the engine supported games are affected.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: LucasArts games (ALL) erroring out

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Raziel wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:49 pm ConfigManager::getBool(demo_mode,): '' is not a valid bool!
Sounds like a problem in the ScummVM configuration file, where it found a "demo_mode" variable with no value. Though how that happened I do not know.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Thanks Torbjörn,

I'm recompiling a fresh build, lets hope it's one of those strange "didn't use gmake clean" issues...
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Raziel wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:46 pm I'm recompiling a fresh build, lets hope it's one of those strange "didn't use gmake clean" issues...
If that doesn't help, you could take a look at the configuration file and see if you can find anything wrong with it. The README files should provide information about where to find it, depending on what operating system you're running.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

@eriktorbjorn

Nope, a recompile did it.
Error gone, games runnninng again...sensible little b*stard, that is :-D
Oscaruzzo

Post by Oscaruzzo »

This also happens to me (binary download: windows 64bit installer 2.1.0 version).

Is there an open bug on this? This looks like a blocker bug.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

The .ini file could have been corrupted.

What you can try is, make a backup of your current scummvm.ini, then rename it.
Start ScummVM, let it create a new one and add a game that has the problem, see if that helps.

Otherwise maybe a reinstall can help too? (of ScummVM)
Oscaruzzo

Post by Oscaruzzo »

I think it was a clean install (but I cannot exclude I did a previous installation some years ago on the same PC).

Where is this .ini file located? (on windows)

EDIT: found it, the contents are just these:

[scummvm]
updates_check=604800
browser_lastpath=E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\indiana jones and the last crusade\INDY3
mute=false
versioninfo=2.1.0

EDIT AGAIN:

Meh, looks like choosing the directory
E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\indiana jones and the last crusade

instead of

E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\indiana jones and the last crusade\INDY3

did the trick.

Solved for me, sorry for the false alarm.
nizcoz

Post by nizcoz »

Hi! The same happened to me. What does it mean? How can I solve that? (OBJETS/VS1.HLZ not found)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

nizcoz wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:23 pm Hi! The same happened to me. What does it mean? How can I solve that? (OBJETS/VS1.HLZ not found)
As far as I can tell, the "OBJETS/VS1.HLZ" message is - or was, since it seems to be gone from the current development version? - just for debugging, so whatever problem you're seeing is almost certainly something else. Did you get any further messages?
nizcoz

Post by nizcoz »

eriktorbjorn wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:03 am As far as I can tell, the "OBJETS/VS1.HLZ" message is - or was, since it seems to be gone from the current development version? - just for debugging, so whatever problem you're seeing is almost certainly something else. Did you get any further messages?
Yes, the other message I received is: WARNING: no voice is available for language: es!
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

nizcoz wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:38 am Yes, the other message I received is: WARNING: no voice is available for language: es!
Sorry, I have no idea. That message seems to be from some automatic text-to-speech feature that I can't even use because it appears to be only for Windows. I would have thought that would simply disable the feature, not cause problems further down the road, though.

Hopefully someone else knows.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

nizcoz wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:38 am Yes, the other message I received is: WARNING: no voice is available for language: es!
As far as I know this is a "low level" warning. It is indeed connected to the text-to-speech module, and it does appear even when not using the TTS feature, at least in my windows builds, when the language selected for the scummvm gui or the language for a launched game is not supported by TTS.

So, I think that this particular warning is not connected with the reported error of this topic.
nizcoz

Post by nizcoz »

Praetorian wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:58 pm So, I think that this particular warning is not connected with the reported error of this topic.
OK, that is, this is not a scummvm error? and the error related to the missing file?