Testing Blade Runner with ScummVM

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Testing Blade Runner with ScummVM

Post by Praetorian »

Hacha_dorada wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:57 pmWhat I wanted to do is to be able to swap the .TLK files before executing the game in order to run the game in the desired language, without the need of having every complete version. I think this works (and the files are not very heavy, so it would be easy to have both SPA and ENG sets), but what does not work is swapping the cut scenes .MIX files. It seems there is one of them that differs through versions, which is the one at the start with the text prologue (OUTTAKE1.MIX). If I swap this specific .MIX file, the game crashes after the title, before getting to the prologue - if I replace all TLK files and keep this MIX file, the game runs well with voices in Spanish AFAIK, but the prologue of course remains in English. So I guess it is possible to swap the talkie files, with the only problem remaining being any text on screen like in the prologue remaining in the original language.
I think the issue is that the cutscenes that were localized (ie. every cutscene that has dialogue or text, with only two exceptions) use a filename that is indicating their audio language. These filenames are archived within some of the .MIX files.

The ScummVM Blade Runner engine currently, after detecting and adding a version of the game in the ScummVM games list (and configuration file), it will use the language that belongs to that version to load the required resources.

So for example, if ScummVM detected and added the English version of Blade Runner it will be looking to load INTRO_E.VQA when it loads the game. If it had detected the Spanish one, it would look to load INTRO_S.VQA. By the way, all English videos will have the "_E" suffix before the VQA file extension, and the Spanish localized videos will have the "_S" suffix.

Anyway, even though I haven't tried it, I believe your idea would work, if you were also editing the scummvm.ini file to alter the detected language entry for Blade Runner each time according to the language selected by the player. Look into the entry that is created in scummvm.ini when adding the Spanish version and the one for the English version to see what should be changed and to what specific values.

The data files that differ between the versions are more than OUTTAKE1.MIX, by the way. Have a look at the MD5 hashes in https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Blad ... data_files and compare between the English CD and Spanish CD versions.
scmm74

Post by scmm74 »

I can get blade runner to run under the windows version of ScummVM, however, I just can't get the Android version to detect it. I have other games running on my Android tablet, so i know the basic installation of ScummVM is ok. Is there something special I need to do with BR, or does the Android version not support it yet?

thanks!
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

scmm74 wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:31 am I can get blade runner to run under the windows version of ScummVM, however, I just can't get the Android version to detect it. I have other games running on my Android tablet, so i know the basic installation of ScummVM is ok. Is there something special I need to do with BR, or does the Android version not support it yet?

thanks!
The play store android version does not support it yet as we're fixing some last minute bugs for that port that were reported to us.
lifeinthefastline

Post by lifeinthefastline »

Following on from some of the discussion above with subtitles, is there any option to edit the subtitles.mix file? As there are a few tiny typos in it as I play through. But more so, I wonder if it'd look cleaner to not have subtitles for the scrolling text at the start of the game. As at the moment it just gets in the way of the cool prologue that's in text anyway, you don't need it twice on the screen imo.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

lifeinthefastline wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:22 pm Following on from some of the discussion above with subtitles, is there any option to edit the subtitles.mix file? As there are a few tiny typos in it as I play through. But more so, I wonder if it'd look cleaner to not have subtitles for the scrolling text at the start of the game. As at the moment it just gets in the way of the cool prologue that's in text anyway, you don't need it twice on the screen imo.
Please submit any typos and improvements about the subtitles in the ScummVM bug tracker. There is already a report we are using for issues with the v4 (current) version of the subtitles in the following link, so you can add your corrections there:
https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/11178

There is no option currently to disable the subtitles during the scrolling text. The idea is that at some point we will support
  • other languages for the text (eg Greek, etc) and
  • mix-and-matching of subtitles
...so we needed at least placeholders for the subtitles there, and in my opinion they are not that intrusive.

It could be a future feature to make them optional, in which case please submit this as a feature request ("enhancement") to the bug tracker.

However, you may be able to edit and remove subtitles to your liking if you try the devtools we provide. I have detailed instructions for them here:
https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/tree ... /subtitles
scmm74

Post by scmm74 »

Praetorian wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:01 am
scmm74 wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:31 am I can get blade runner to run under the windows version of ScummVM, however, I just can't get the Android version to detect it. I have other games running on my Android tablet, so i know the basic installation of ScummVM is ok. Is there something special I need to do with BR, or does the Android version not support it yet?

thanks!
The play store android version does not support it yet as we're fixing some last minute bugs for that port that were reported to us.
Thanks. Are there any builds available I can test?
lifeinthefastline

Post by lifeinthefastline »

Praetorian wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:03 pm
lifeinthefastline wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:22 pm Following on from some of the discussion above with subtitles, is there any option to edit the subtitles.mix file? As there are a few tiny typos in it as I play through. But more so, I wonder if it'd look cleaner to not have subtitles for the scrolling text at the start of the game. As at the moment it just gets in the way of the cool prologue that's in text anyway, you don't need it twice on the screen imo.
Please submit any typos and improvements about the subtitles in the ScummVM bug tracker. There is already a report we are using for issues with the v4 (current) version of the subtitles in the following link, so you can add your corrections there:
https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/11178

There is no option currently to disable the subtitles during the scrolling text. The idea is that at some point we will support
  • other languages for the text (eg Greek, etc) and
  • mix-and-matching of subtitles
...so we needed at least placeholders for the subtitles there, and in my opinion they are not that intrusive.

It could be a future feature to make them optional, in which case please submit this as a feature request ("enhancement") to the bug tracker.

However, you may be able to edit and remove subtitles to your liking if you try the devtools we provide. I have detailed instructions for them here:
https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/tree ... /subtitles
Thanks for the reply, this makes a lot of sense keeping the data as a placeholder as I imagine what you'll eventually want is the English audio mixed with different language subtitles. So I see why you kept them as placeholders.

Anyway I had a look into the subtitles.mix file and was considering editing and rebuilding, but with some messing around I realised I can replace the text using a text editor with blank spaces. Kind of a quick and dirty way to edit it, but it does give the result I was looking for. Would you like me to upload that edited Subtitles file? Or it's not going to be much use for yourselves?
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

scmm74 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:39 am Thanks. Are there any builds available I can test?
There are the daily development builds from our buildbot but at least for now, I'd suggest waiting a few days till we implement and merge all the fixes for the outstanding bugs reported.
Also those builds are currently incompatible with the stable version from the Play Store, meaning that added games, settings and saved games may be "lost" if you migrate to those.
lifeinthefastline wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:48 am Anyway I had a look into the subtitles.mix file and was considering editing and rebuilding, but with some messing around I realised I can replace the text using a text editor with blank spaces. Kind of a quick and dirty way to edit it, but it does give the result I was looking for. Would you like me to upload that edited Subtitles file? Or it's not going to be much use for yourselves?
Yep that should also do the trick, especially if just erasing subtitle lines. Nice work. No need to upload it; although as I've mentioned ideally you could create a "enhancement" ticket describing this request where (I think) you could attach the edited MIX too as a proof of concept (you may have to host it externally, I'm unsure about the attachment size and type policies). This will help in not forgetting about it when we enhance the subtitles functionality.

Also, please consider submitting any errors in the transcript to the other ticket that I've mentioned above.
Debar

Post by Debar »

Hi guys, first time posting but I've been following the release of Blade Runner on Scummvm closely.

A huge thanks to everybody involved. This is one of my all time favourite games, one of which I've replayed multiple times to obtain all the different endings and variations.

Blade Runner holds a special place for me as it seemed so ahead of its time and how immersive the game world and storyline was.

I originally got the game as a DVD release which came bundled with my first home PC so I guess a lot of nostalgia comes into play too.

Anyway aside from taking a fond trip down memory lane, let's get down to business 🙂.

I've been playing the game on the Arm64 Nightly Builds on my Galaxy Note 10+ 5G.

I've tested both the Original and Restored Content versions and seem to be facing the same issue as somebody mentioned before:

After the Act 2 Cut Scene and jumping into the spinner, the Tyrell Building isn't visible on the map.

I've removed the game, uninstalled and reinstalled Scummvm etc and replayed the game and it still gives the same issue.

Unfortunately I can't attach a game save file as i can't seem to locate the Scummvm directory.

I did try to set an alternative game save path when installing the game but it does state that they won't be synced and when trying to make a save in game nothing happens.

On a side note, a few other peculiarities I've found is that in both versions of the game, when using the mainframe after retrieving the licence plate from the dumpster by Howie Lee's, nothing happens - No comment from Ray about who the car is registered to etc. The mainframe just says no new clues added.

Also in the Restored Content version, there seems to be some timing issues. For instance, when visiting Dino in the Lab after returning from Runciter's, he says he's got nothing for you.

You have to go back to him after going elsewhere in the station and then he starts off with 'I was wondering when you'd show your ugly mug...' and then goes through the various bits of info.

I've not been able to test any further due to the map issue...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Happy hunting 🙂
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Debar wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:47 am Hi guys, first time posting but I've been following the release of Blade Runner on Scummvm closely.

A huge thanks to everybody involved. This is one of my all time favourite games, one of which I've replayed multiple times to obtain all the different endings and variations.

Blade Runner holds a special place for me as it seemed so ahead of its time and how immersive the game world and storyline was.

I originally got the game as a DVD release which came bundled with my first home PC so I guess a lot of nostalgia comes into play too.

Anyway aside from taking a fond trip down memory lane, let's get down to business 🙂.

I've been playing the game on the Arm64 Nightly Builds on my Galaxy Note 10+ 5G.

I've tested both the Original and Restored Content versions and seem to be facing the same issue as somebody mentioned before:

After the Act 2 Cut Scene and jumping into the spinner, the Tyrell Building isn't visible on the map.

I've removed the game, uninstalled and reinstalled Scummvm etc and replayed the game and it still gives the same issue.

Unfortunately I can't attach a game save file as i can't seem to locate the Scummvm directory.

I did try to set an alternative game save path when installing the game but it does state that they won't be synced and when trying to make a save in game nothing happens.

On a side note, a few other peculiarities I've found is that in both versions of the game, when using the mainframe after retrieving the licence plate from the dumpster by Howie Lee's, nothing happens - No comment from Ray about who the car is registered to etc. The mainframe just says no new clues added.

Also in the Restored Content version, there seems to be some timing issues. For instance, when visiting Dino in the Lab after returning from Runciter's, he says he's got nothing for you.

You have to go back to him after going elsewhere in the station and then he starts off with 'I was wondering when you'd show your ugly mug...' and then goes through the various bits of info.

I've not been able to test any further due to the map issue...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Happy hunting 🙂
Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I'll have to re-test to see if I can get the missing Tyrell building issue. It sounds strange that we haven't caught it.
About the other two issues:
  • The license plate by itself won't have McCoy be able to trace the owner of the car. He needs something *else* too that he might be able to get in Act 3 (let me know if you need more hints about that). In the restored content version, Dino has an extra line that says exactly what other clue McCoy needs
  • Dino saying he has nothing for McCoy is an intended change for the restored content. But it is not a timing issue. In the game's manual it is explicitly stated that Dino will analyze for McCoy only those clues that were uploaded in the Mainframe. Despite this, this process was simplified (it is unnecessary) from the original version of the game and Dino "guessed" automatically the clues that McCoy had in his KIA -- whether he uploaded them or not to the Mainframe computer. In the restored content you'll have to upload the clues first.
As a side note, an extra (kind of pointless) interaction that was restored for Dino, is hitting the buzzer button in the lab; if you hit it a few times (depending on how annoyed by McCoy he already is), he'll get fed up and leave. He'll be back later on, but not straight away (...).
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Ah, I was able to reproduce the bug with the Spinner map. It was introduced by a recent change we made (after 2.1 was released) to load these UI screens faster.
I've pushed a fix for it, so it should be available tomorrow in the daily builds.
Debar

Post by Debar »

Ah okay thanks for that.

Yes I know about getting the VIN Number in act 3. I was probably thinking that the licence plate should suffice on it's own due to Dino saying that if you ran the Licence Plate or the VIN Number through the Mainframe (I replayed it just to check 😅).

On a logical basis I would assume for Dino to give feedback on the piece of Chrome as the officer at Runciters was instructed to 'bag it and tag it' '' at the scene etc but that's just me.

It's also a shame that you can't have Ray question Runciter about proof of him selling fake animals in the first act as it's possible to have Dino tell you about the bone marrow analysis before even speaking to Runciter.

Then again I guess we can't have everything and there's a few instances where the game logic is slightly 'broken'...

Can't wait to be able to continue onto Act 2 😁
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

From my view, many of the inconsistencies can be explained away by making a few assumptions.
Debar wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:09 pm Yes I know about getting the VIN Number in act 3. I was probably thinking that the licence plate should suffice on it's own due to Dino saying that if you ran the Licence Plate or the VIN Number through the Mainframe (I replayed it just to check 😅).
Indeed. I guess in practice the License Plate did not suffice to id the owner, though. Dino says it could be either, but I don't think that means that either one would work 100% to id the vehicle.
On a logical basis I would assume for Dino to give feedback on the piece of Chrome as the officer at Runciters was instructed to 'bag it and tag it' '' at the scene etc but that's just me.
This is simpler to explain, I think. Dino gathers many physical evidence (he also gets the animal corpses, the bullet shells, black paint etc, which are not delivered by McCoy) but McCoy has to file them via KIA to the Mainframe to link them with the case he is working on and gain access to the result reports. Something like protocol procedure.
It's also a shame that you can't have Ray question Runciter about proof of him selling fake animals in the first act as it's possible to have Dino tell you about the bone marrow analysis before even speaking to Runciter.
The Runciter situation is a bit complicated and fuzzy I think, and at that point Runciter could claim that he didn't know (which I believe could be the case for most if not all of his fakes). But at that point this particular crime is irrelevant to McCoy's actual case; McCoy is there as a Blade Runner looking for possible traces of Replicants. He does not care much yet about the fakes, not at that point anyway.
Can't wait to be able to continue onto Act 2 😁
Looking forward to more feedback :)
Debar

Post by Debar »

Praetorian wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:32 pm The Runciter situation is a bit complicated and fuzzy I think, and at that point Runciter could claim that he didn't know (which I believe could be the case for most if not all of his fakes). But at that point this particular crime is irrelevant to McCoy's actual case; McCoy is there as a Blade Runner looking for possible traces of Replicants. He does not care much yet about the fakes, not at that point anyway.
Ah but take this into consideration:

In Act 1, Runciter categorically denies having anything to do with fake animals when Ray questions him as to whether he's had any dealings with Tyrell contractors/subcontractors etc.

We also learn later in the game that he was knowingly purchasing fakes from Luther and Lance so he can't 'not know'.

Given the fact that Dino tells you that some of the Animals were state of the art fakes - the stuff produced by Tyrell contractors/subcontractors - it then doesn't make sense not to question Runciter further on the matter.

Not so much from the point of view that he was ripping his customers off - but more so from the fact that he has had dealings with people connected to Tyrell and therefore potentially Replicants.

I think this is more so a case of the developers not expecting or more so pre-empting somebody from going to see Dino and getting the lab results prior to questioning Runciter without having picked up all of the clues etc.

If you follow the 'correct' order and pick up all the clues at the crime scene and question Runciter, then go and see Dino and then attempt to return to Runciters to question him about the fakes he won't be there (only to return later on in the game after you've spoken to Lucy etc).

On a side note, is there anyway to successfully change the save game directory?

For some reason all the games background sound stopped working when loading a saved game or even starting a new game after installing a daily build without uninstalling the current one installed (not had any issues before).

I then uninstalled Scummvm and installed the latest build and the sounds working again but all my game saves were removed during the uninstall too

Not a massive deal as I hadn't been able to progress further due to the map glitch.

On a plus point the map glitch has been fixed and the Tyrell building does now show up on my end 🙂

Also I should point out that I didn't check to see if I had accidentally adjusted the games sound levels in the game options - the possibility of which only occured to me now 😑😅 but I will let you know if it happens again.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Debar wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:20 pm We also learn later in the game that he was knowingly purchasing fakes from Luther and Lance so he can't 'not know'.
(...)
Not so much from the point of view that he was ripping his customers off - but more so from the fact that he has had dealings with people connected to Tyrell and therefore potentially Replicants.
Actually McCoy will ask him (I think in Surly mode) in the first Act if he knew anyone from Tyrell's Co and the discussion moves to the "fruitcakes" from DNA Row (Runciter says that a couple of genetic designers are friends of his).

The part that puzzles me about Runciter knowingly selling fakes or not, is that the twins themselves explicitly say in their cutscene (start of Act 4) that maybe Runciter wants a refund because he discovered one of the fakes. Which pretty much implies that the deal was not so clear cut.
Lucy of course says that Runciter bought fakes and claimed being protected -- but given her history with him and him being a scumbag to her, she may not be entirely truthful there (and also Runciter would hardly divulge this information to Lucy of all people).
I think this is more so a case of the developers not expecting or more so pre-empting somebody from going to see Dino and getting the lab results prior to questioning Runciter without having picked up all of the clues etc.
Oh, sure, they couldn't have accounted for every order of events. All I'm saying is that I can explain away these mostly with a few assumptions of mine.
If you follow the 'correct' order and pick up all the clues at the crime scene and question Runciter, then go and see Dino and then attempt to return to Runciters to question him about the fakes he won't be there (only to return later on in the game after you've spoken to Lucy etc).
Iirc, if you miss one or two clues there's a chance you can still find him there in Act 1.