Surround Sound in Blade Runner?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

SirYodaJedi

Surround Sound in Blade Runner?

Post by SirYodaJedi »

According to the PCGamingWiki, Blade Runner supposedly had 6-channel (5.1?) surround sound. I can't find anything else to back this up, but given its age it isn't too outlandish a possibility that it did have DirectSound3D (and/or A3D) support.

So I have to ask:
  1. Does the original game actually have 3D sound support?
  2. If so, does ScummVM support this?
I can't test it too well myself, as I don't have the period-authentic hardware (and 3D sound restoration software like DSOAL or IndirectSound isn't a reliable judge).
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Surround Sound in Blade Runner?

Post by Praetorian »

SirYodaJedi wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:55 pm According to the PCGamingWiki, Blade Runner supposedly had 6-channel (5.1?) surround sound. I can't find anything else to back this up, but given its age it isn't too outlandish a possibility that it did have DirectSound3D (and/or A3D) support.

So I have to ask:
I can't test it too well myself, as I don't have the period-authentic hardware (and 3D sound restoration software like DSOAL or IndirectSound isn't a reliable judge).
To my knowledge, this is not true.
The game engine itself uses and manages multiple software "channels" to play multiple sounds at the same time, but there's nothing for 3d sound in there.

Edit: also, no mention of such a feature on the box or the booklet/manual. I've just double checked to make sure.
SirYodaJedi

Re: Surround Sound in Blade Runner?

Post by SirYodaJedi »

Praetorian wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:11 pm
SirYodaJedi wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:55 pm According to the PCGamingWiki, Blade Runner supposedly had 6-channel (5.1?) surround sound. I can't find anything else to back this up, but given its age it isn't too outlandish a possibility that it did have DirectSound3D (and/or A3D) support.

So I have to ask:
To my knowledge, this is not true.
The game engine itself uses and manages multiple software "channels" to play multiple sounds at the same time, but there's nothing for 3d sound in there.

Edit: also, no mention of such a feature on the box or the booklet/manual. I've just double checked to make sure.
Okay, I see where the editor could have gotten confused. I've updated the page accordingly.