Step back in time and visit Versailles at the court of Louis XIV

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

criezy
ScummVM Developer

Step back in time and visit Versailles at the court of Louis XIV

Post by criezy » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:11 am

The year is 1685. The place is Versailles. Somebody has threatened to burn the castle and Alexandre Bontemps, the Premier valet of King Louis XIV, is asking for your help. You have until the end of the day to investigate and save the castle.

The ScummVM team is proud to announce support for Cryo's Versaille 1685 game and needs your help to test the game. Grab your copy of Versailles 1685 (the DOS, Windows, and Macintosh versions are supported), download the latest development build of ScummVM, and start exploring the castle and its surroundings. While you do so, please report any bugs you find on our issue tracker and take screenshots of interesting places.

scoriae

Re: Step back in time and visit Versailles at the court of Louis XIV

Post by scoriae » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:19 am

I tried to test this one today, however scummvm reports it as an unknown French version... however it is English.

I have the win/dos hybrid version.

I followed the data file page and tried a few different copy methods.

In all situations however I added the cryomni3d.dat file, a DATAS_V folder w/ both cd's worth of data in it (I tried it with that folder holding all the files and all just dumping all the contents of that folder into the root folder), the VERSAILL.PGM file, the PROGRAM.Z file, and the contents of the Install\Data folder.

I tried that last folder as .\install\data, as .\data\, and as dumping the contents of the data folder into the root folder.

I don't have a guthub account, but here is the data from the clipboard.

The game in 'scummvm\' seems to be an unknown game variant.

Please report the following data to the ScummVM team at https://bugs.scummvm.org/ along with the name of the game you tried to add and its version, language, etc.:

Matched game IDs for the Cryo Omni3D engine: versailles-win-fallback

{"VERSAILL.PGM", 0, "1c992f034f43418a5da2e8ebd0b92620", 710467},

and then there is this one as well:

The game in 'scummvm\' seems to be an unknown game variant.

Please report the following data to the ScummVM team at https://bugs.scummvm.org/ along with the name of the game you tried to add and its version, language, etc.:

Matched game IDs for the Cryo Omni3D engine: versailles-win-fr

{"PROGRAM.Z", 0, "f5327cb860a67a24a52b6125ddc5e00b", 256146},

Strange it detects it as French.

If I add the game anyway and try to start it, scummvm just closes instantly. The second one won't even let me add it anyways.

criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:19 am

Different versions of the game use files with different names, so we need a bit more information to add detection for unrecognized version:
  • How are the font named in the DATAS_V/FONTS directory? Are they named font01.crf, font02.crf, font03.crf and so on, or do they have proper font names such as arial11.crf, helvet11.crf, helvet12.crf?
  • How are the sounds file named under DATAS_V/DIAL/VOIX? Some versions pad the file names with underscores (so they they all are 8 characters long) and others don't (for example ALI001__.WAV vs ALI001.WAV)

scoriae

Post by scoriae » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:21 pm

DATAS_V\FONTS\
FONT01.CRF - FONT11.CRF

DATAS_V\DIAL\VOIC\
No underscores. 196 files with file names that range from 6 to 8 characters.

GoodOldGeorg

Post by GoodOldGeorg » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:23 pm

Report Source: Versalles - Complot en la Corte del Rey Sol Original Spanish CDs.

The Windows exe and dos versions of the game are successfully detected by ScummVM, but doesn't detect the compressed windows version, Because in the engine's detection file has an invalid file length.

Game: Versailles 1685, Spanish Windows 95 compressed from hybrid Win95/DOS CD
File: PROGRAM.Z
WRONG File Size: 346112. The Real file size is 237800 bytes.
The hash value of the file is same as in the detection file

This Bad file size belongs to the exe file in this previous detection line. Maybe a Copy/Paste error?

Code: Select all

"VERSAILL.EXE", "78d90d656ec3b76f158721d38bc68083", 346112
The DIFF file:

Code: Select all

222c222
< 			AD_ENTRY1s("PROGRAM.Z", "9e7c0c3125124010d45dde9dc62744ef", 346112),
---
> 			AD_ENTRY1s("PROGRAM.Z", "9e7c0c3125124010d45dde9dc62744ef", 237800),

criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:05 pm

@scoriae: Thank you. Detection for this version has now been added.

@GoodOldGeord: Than you for the report as well. I am waiting for confirmation from the developer who added that detection that this is indeed an error and not a new version that should be added. But the size being the exact same one as for the non-compressed Windows version is certainly suspicious.
Edit: The Spanish compressed Windows 95 detection entry has now been corrected. This was indeed a copy/paste error.