Testing Blade Runner with ScummVM

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Testing Blade Runner with ScummVM

Post by Praetorian »

Quick setup instructions (with screenshots)

First, here are some pages you can refer to for Blade Runner support in ScummVM: You don't need the third party installer or any patch to run Westwood's Blade Runner with ScummVM. You also don't need to install the game from its original installer; the original installer will not work on modern 64bit operating systems anyway.

Short summary
Grab the latest daily development build of ScummVM for your Operating System.

Launch ScummVM and press "Add Game...". You just have to navigate into the game folder and then press on the "Choose" button. You might not see anything in the folder itself from ScummVM; this is normal. Just press "Choose" and then if the proper files are in the folder, ScummVM will open a window "Pick the game" with two options. Choose the top one (simple "Blade Runner") rather than the "Blade Runner with restored content".

Here's a How-to with screenshots
1. Download the official ScummVM v2.1 (or above) stable release or the latest ScummVM development build for your Operating System and platform, and install it. You can always find the latest updates and bug fixes for the game in the development (latest column) daily builds, so you can check if a bug you've found in the game has been already fixed by testing with the latest development build.

2. The screenshot below shows how the game folder looks in Windows 10 x64, after copying the required data files from the 4 CDs and renaming the CDFRAMES.DAT file from each CD, as per the instructions to CDFRAMES1.DAT, CDFRAMES2.DAT, CDFRAMES3.DAT, CDFRAMES4.DAT based on which CD they came from. This game folder includes the SUBTITLES.MIX file, which is optional and provides support for subtitles in the game. The SUBTITLES.MIX is found in the respective zip file that can be downloaded from the ScummVM games downloads page.

3. Launching ScummVM:

4. Select "Add Game.." from ScummVM:

5. Navigate into the game folder and press Choose. You probably won't see anything inside the game folder from this ScummVM explorer window; this is normal:

6. Pick the first option for the original Blade Runner game and then click on Choose:

7. Then ScummVM will show you this Dialogue:

7a. From here you can optionally set some additional settings for the game. For example these are the recommended Graphic settings for the Graphics Tab:

7b. And from the Audio Tab you can choose to have Speech and Subtitles (both) mode, if you have installed the fan made ScummVM subtitles. Enabling and disabling subtitles can also be done from in-game (via the KIA options screen).

8. Press OK in the first tab (or from any current tab in this ScummVM dialogue):

9. Launch Blade Runner by selecting it from the list on the left (if not already highlighted) and pressing "Start":

---
Previous thread is here: Blade Runner [WIP]
Kirste

Re: Testing Blade Runner with ScummVM

Post by Kirste »

Hi
how it is possible to start Blade Runner in ScummVM?

Thanks.
rootfather
ScummVM Lead

Post by rootfather »

Hi Kirste,

yes, the current development versions of ScummVM include support for Blade Runner.

Check out https://buildbot.scummvm.org/builds.html and download the latest file for your system :)
sturmk

Post by sturmk »

Hello,

Any Atari/Mint version planned ?

Thanks
Anonymusx

Post by Anonymusx »

Hi!

I want use subtitle the Blade runner, but not work.

I use the mingw-w64-master-f1761567 scummvm, and copy the subtitles files, but not see the sub.
What wrong me?
Anonymusx

Post by Anonymusx »

Today try again, but not work.
I make on the subtitle in audio setting in scumvm.
I use win 10 64 bit. The HDFRAMES.DAT 325 mb.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Anonymusx wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:14 am Today try again, but not work.
I make on the subtitle in audio setting in scumvm.
I use win 10 64 bit. The HDFRAMES.DAT 325 mb.
Hello.

First step is to make sure you've extracted the Subtitles file in the Blade Runner game directory. Can you see the SUBTITLES.MIX file in there in your folder like in the following image?

Then you could:
  • either activate both speech audio and subtitles from the ScummVM menu (Click Edit Game with Blade Runner selected) like in the following image
  • Or launch the game, open the KIA (press Esc) and go to Options. You should see a Subtitles checkbox like in the following image. Make sure it is checked: Image
Anonymusx

Post by Anonymusx »

1. yes, i copy the install subtitles file, but the file size diferent.

2. yes, i make on.

3. i not see this options:
free image hosting
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

@Preatorian

I just wanted to do a quick test to see if i can reproduce @Anoymousx' issue, but i only get a complete white screen when starting BladeRunner and lots of those errors in console
User picked target 'bladerunner-final-win' (gameid 'bladerunner-final')...
Looking for a plugin supporting this gameid... Blade Runner
Starting 'Blade Runner with restored content'
WARNING: GL ERROR: GL_INVALID_OPERATION on glTexImage2D(0x0DE1, 0, _glIntFormat, _width, _height, 0, _glFormat, _glType, __null) (backends/graphics/opengl/texture.cpp:140)!
WARNING: GL ERROR: GL_INVALID_OPERATION on glTexSubImage2D(0x0DE1, 0, 0, area.top, src.w, area.height(), _glFormat, _glType, src.getBasePtr(0, area.top)) (backends/graphics/opengl/texture.cpp:168)!
Download SUBTITLES.MIX from ScummVM's website to enable subtitles
SliceAnimations::openFrames: HDFRAMES.DAT resource not found. Falling back to using CDFRAMESx.DAT files instead...
WARNING: numQueuedStreams: 0!
WARNING: GL ERROR: GL_INVALID_OPERATION on glTexSubImage2D(0x0DE1, 0, 0, area.top, src.w, area.height(), _glFormat, _glType, src.getBasePtr(0, area.top)) (backends/graphics/opengl/texture.cpp:168)!
The last one is the one that keeps repeating while the game seems to run in the background.
That is with the OpenGL renderer and the "Game with restored content"

edit: Same with the "Normal" Game.
As soon as i pick any other renderer the game plays fine, so there seems to be a problem with OpenGL.
(I do remember having the very same problem with videos in "The Curse of Monkey Island" on residualvm, so if you find the cause i could update my issue item there as well) :-)

Also, since OpenGL and SDL2 are still in development on my platform, i'd be grateful for any pointers i could pass along to the devs to maybe fix problems on our end...
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Anonymusx wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:26 am 1. yes, i copy the install subtitles file, but the file size diferent.
You have an old file. Can you download the newest from here please and try again?
https://www.scummvm.org/frs/extras/Blad ... les-v3.zip
3. i not see this options:
Please make sure that you have added in ScummVM the above directory in your screenshot for Blade Runner, and not another one. If the SUBTITLES.MIX file is there, it should detect it and show the option.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Raziel wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:27 am (...) i only get a complete white screen when starting BladeRunner and lots of those errors in console
Yes, I've just tried with OpenGL rendered and I see those errors too. No idea as of yet why this happens but we'll look into it.
Anonymusx

Post by Anonymusx »

Thanks, now work...
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Praetorian wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:12 am
Raziel wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:27 am (...) i only get a complete white screen when starting BladeRunner and lots of those errors in console
Yes, I've just tried with OpenGL rendered and I see those errors too. No idea as of yet why this happens but we'll look into it.
I will not be available for testing the following week(s), but will report back once i'm home again.

Thank you for taking a look
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Raziel wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:56 pm
Praetorian wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:12 am
I will not be available for testing the following week(s), but will report back once i'm home again.

Thank you for taking a look
@Raziel, did you have this issue on Windows 10 with Msys2 or on another platform / toolchain? Or was it for an official development build?

I've pushed a PR fix for builds on Windows 10 with Msys2/Mingw(64 or 32). You can read about it here:
https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/pull/1782
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

@Preatorian

Nope.

Local build on AmigaOS4