The Big Red Adventure

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

harbord

The Big Red Adventure

Post by harbord »

I realise that the "big red adventure" is a work in progress but it seems to start quite nicely. However, I am running ScummVM 1.5.0 & can't save games. While the save game screen comes up and a save game title can be entered, all disappears after clicking "save". The shortcut "s" doesn't work either. Is this due to the current development status or can I do something to overcome this glitch?

Cheers

Harbord
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

The real work by the engine author was performed at beginning of 2011, and since that only minor bugfixes and refactorings took place.

So unfortunately, the completeness of BRA support is on big uncertainty.

Eugene
Nowhere Girl

Re: The Big Red Adventure

Post by Nowhere Girl »

I have problems with the same game. The game crashes/blocks: a) during intro, b) during the game itself - more precisely, when the guide asks museum visitors to move into the next room. Any advice on what to do about it?
Nowhere Girl

Post by Nowhere Girl »

I'm playing the game in a ScummVM daily build (the one which was the most recent a few days ago). Are you perhaps interested in some feedback on how does the game work?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Last functional change to the game was in 2007. Nothing is new there... Yes, it is unfortunate, but the engine author left the project long time ago.

Thus, we do not know what to do with your bug report.

Eugene
Nowhere Girl

Post by Nowhere Girl »

And does anyone perhaps have saves for the game? I tried running it both in DOSBox and in ScummVM. In DOSBox the game crashes at the scales in 1st act, but saves from, for example, late 2nd act would be welcome. In ScummVM I can't talk to Alex and Kos in 3rd act (they don't appear as an active object, hovering the talk icon over them elicits no description) and act 4 just doesn't work. Perhaps it could work in DOSBox, but I can't get past that rather early scene in act 1...
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Even if someone has a save, it probably wouldn't help you, since, as sev already pointed out, the game never reached a "playable", let alone "completable" state.
So, even if you could reach the end of act 2 it will most certainly crash at the beginning of act 3.

The engine the game runs on was originally done for Nippon Safes Inc. and the aim was to make that game completable, which was met.
Only rudimentary stuff was added to make BRA start, but since the original engine author dropped out and as long as nobody else is willing to delve into the engine, BRA will stay in it's hiatus and bug reports will probably vanish.

Sorry
Nowhere Girl

Post by Nowhere Girl »

Yes, but what about DOS saves? If someone here has played it in DOS... It seems that, altogether, there are less bugs in DOS, but the scales bug seems impossible to bypass and - unlike in ScummVM - the option to start from act 2, 3 or 4 doesn't appear in the menu, so there's no possibility to skip the first act (which I have anyway completed in ScummVM).